ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Fees for a new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-24, 05:20 AM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Shop on the internet with other nearby Lexus Deelers. Often they show "discounted" internet prices. Then you can politely ask them to come down some more, They did not hesitate when I asked for a few hundred off, wish I asked for more.
They might tell you "we have to charge everybody the same Doc fee in this state by law" which might be true, but you can say "fine, then reduce the price of the car accordingly"

Work by phone/email/text with the internet sales manager.

Get a firm price in writing before you step foot on their lot.

Last edited by hotwings; 06-26-24 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-25-24, 05:27 AM
ndunn
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I think something that has gotten lost over the years is that there is nothing personal about buying a car. It is business and feelings have nothing to do with it. Car sellers may try to interject something else but it's just numbers and I like to win if possible. So I drove 5 hours in a rental car to collect my new '24 UL with double the discount that local dealers were offering.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (06-25-24)
Old 06-26-24, 07:40 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by whatshappeninman
Hi everyone,

Going to pick up a '24 ES 350 UL this Thurs at my local dealership. Wanted to get people's take on the invoice - are these fees out of whack? This is in NJ.

Listen, forget history—the dealer obviously has! As @ndunn alluded to, the time for sentimentality is over! So F$@! polite, it's about the cold, hard cash. The price they're offering you is highway robbery – they're pocketing your loyalty and laughing all the way to the bank. The real issue is the selling price. They're trying to fleece you! You've been a loyal customer, and this is the "best" they can do?

We're not in a pandemic anymore, and you deserve a hell of a lot better, especially with the small fortune you mentioned you've spent with them.

All markets are different, but my dealer's advertised starting price for a UL is what you're paying—and that's before negotiations. Imagine the deal you could get! I'm assuming that the MSRP was near $57k on your deal, and it may seem like you are getting a big discount, but you can do better.

Like @DavidZ said, the fees are a distraction. It's about the big picture final selling price. Don't let them take advantage of you. Use your history as leverage—tell them you're not a one-and-done customer, and if they don't give you a fair price, they'll lose out on future deals.

This is your money, your hard-earned cash. Don't hand it over without a fight.

And for the love of all things holy, DO NOT set foot on that lot until you have a locked-in price. Don't fall for their "come on down" BS. This ain't the Price is Right!

You deserve better. Much better.

I've shared my own Lexus deals, with the two most recent posted somewhere in this forum. Those deals included deep discounts; even at the peak of pandemic pricing, I managed to get a $6,300 discount off the MSRP on my Special Order UL. Feel free to search this forum for both deals – I have posted all of the paperwork, documents, contracts, special order sheets, and so on for both deals. Good Luck!

Originally Posted by whatshappeninman
I sent an e-mail to them just now (the sales guy with the sales manager copied) and put some polite pressure on them to be reasonable. This is my third brand new purchase in 4 years - I've spent hundreds of thousands there, really think they should be able to flex this time. Who knows, maybe they'll just relent easily (but I doubt it). Prediction: they'll say "oh sure, we can work with you, come on in and we'll discuss" the matter, followed by little/zero change in the fees.
It pains me to read this, but you're far from alone. Most dealerships rely on customers they know they can gouge without a fight. You don't have to be that person. You can be respectful without being a pushover. Just go to the mirror and say, "F$@! being polite, today I'm gonna show em' who's boss!" Then, you can politely send them a friendly email!

Remember, dealerships are experts at politely extracting every last dollar from your wallet while flashing you a charming smile. Don't let them make it rain with your money this time!
You don't have to be a hard-core, badass negotiator, but you can respectfully declare a specific amount that is significantly less than what's being offered and see what happens.

Do not leave it open-ended because that gives them too much wiggle room. I know it's hard to know what price to go for, but that's another thread. It's
also the end of the month, so you might have extra leverage. I was you once upon a time, so I know what it's like, but with what I know now versus then, it hurts my wallet just thinking about it.

My local dealer didn't have any 350 ULs, but the discounts are still there, which is the point of this topic.They've got hybrids out the wazoo. 31 hybrids to 4 ICE models for ES that is.