ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Thinking about extended warranty (Platinum warranty)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-24, 07:59 AM
Cayennetb
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about extended warranty (Platinum warranty)

I just bought pre-owned 2021 es300h which is Lexus certified one.

with CPO warranty, I have additional two more years with unlimited mile!
I drive around 15-20k miles per year. As I drive a bit, CPO was better option than bramd new for me!

finance team recommeded platinum warranty which add 5-year / unlimited miles with $2900 cost.
from factory delivered date, warranty period would be 11 years and unlimited mile.

CPO
-basic warranty : 6 years, unlimited
-hybrid 8years, 100k
-battery 10years, 150k
(from my expected mileage, my car warranty will be voided within 6year including hybrid system)

vs platinum extended
-basic warranty : 11years, unlimited.

I'm newbie in Lexus and hybrid car.
when it comes to cost, what is most high cost failure in this car?

Extended warranty will give me a piece of mind but I choose Lexus due to the best reliability.
So it's ironicall to add extended warranty..
Anyway do you guys think it is worthy?

I think I'll have this ES300h for 8year estimated mile would be around 150k..

Last edited by Cayennetb; 06-30-24 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-29-24, 09:32 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayennetb
I just bought pre-owned 2021 es300h which is Lexus certified one.

with CPO warranty, I have additional two more years with unlimited mile!
I drive around 15-20k miles per year. As I drive a bit, CPO was better option than bramd new for me!

finance team recommeded platinum warranty which add 5-year / unlimited miles with $2900 cost.
from factory delivered date, warranty period would be 11 years and unlimited mile.

CPO
-basic warranty : 6 years, unlimited
-hybrid 8years, 100k
-battery 10years, 150k
(from my expected mileage, my car warranty will be voided within 6year including hybrid system)

vs platinum extended
-basic warranty : 11years, unlimited.

I'm newbie in Lexus and hybrid car.
when it comes to cost, what is most high cost failure in this car?

Extended warranty will give me a piece of mind but I choose Lexus due to the best reliability.
So it's ironicall to add extended warranty..
Anyway do you guys think it is worthy?

I think I'll have this ES300h for 8year estimated mile would be around 150k..
A few years ago, the battery would have probably been the most expensive repair, but battery prices have come down some. At the same time, cars today are loaded with electronics, which result in simple matters like a new windshield becoming expensive compared to cars 15 years ago. It’s hard to say what is the most expensive potential repair today. In general, the extended warranties are seen as profit for dealers and insurance companies, especially for some highly reliable brands like Lexus. If it gives you comfort and helps you sleep at night, there is nothing wrong with that “peace of mind” choice. Modern vehicles (even non-luxury vehicles) can certainly be expensive if a major repair is required.
Old 06-29-24, 10:12 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 331 Posts

It’s a reasonable alternative for someone who drives as much as you do.
Old 06-30-24, 06:55 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I’ve bought an extended warranty on my last two Corvettes because of the electronics in those cars. The first one paid for 1/2 of what I paid for it one month after my 3/36 expired. It was transferable. I decided to sell it, put it on eBay Motors, and it sold in 11 days for exactly what I was asking. I was the only one selling a 2015 Corvette with a two year warranty.

These Lexus are loaded with electronics. $2,900 isn’t bad for the piece of mind.
Old 06-30-24, 07:18 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by FastDawg
I’ve bought an extended warranty on my last two Corvettes because of the electronics in those cars. The first one paid for 1/2 of what I paid for it one month after my 3/36 expired. It was transferable. I decided to sell it, put it on eBay Motors, and it sold in 11 days for exactly what I was asking. I was the only one selling a 2015 Corvette with a two year warranty.

These Lexus are loaded with electronics. $2,900 isn’t bad for the piece of mind.
The incidences of repair and y claims on Corvettes far exceed Lexus.
Old 06-30-24, 08:13 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

Don't see a point in extended warranty. Back in 2016 when I bought my 2015 TLX Advance trim and the finance dude was pitching the extended warranty aggressively. "There's 200 something computers, one thing goes wrong blah blah". I told him I passed. Never had one electronic issue in the 6 years I owned it except for the window switch for one of the windows and that was replaced under warranty.

​​​​​​That was a first generation car and no issue. The 7ES has been in production for years and they've worked out all the bugs by now.

Last edited by dezymond; 06-30-24 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-30-24, 09:00 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
The incidences of repair and y claims on Corvettes far exceed Lexus.

That all depends on how one maintains them. Out of the five Corvettes I've owned, my 1992 C4 wouldn't go into gear once and a transmission flush fixed that. I put 98k miles on that car. My 2001 C5 never had an issue in 13 years. My 2015 C7 was the one that had the first extended warranty on it and it had an actuator on the gas door go out on it (electrical). My 2009 C6 was a bit of a nightmare but I attribute that to it being the development generation for the C7. It had one part related issue. My 2021 C8 hasn't been in the shop for anything but normal maintenance.

I will maintain my Lexus in the same manner as I do all of my vehicles. The absolute worst brand automobile that I've ever had for repairs was a 2006 Audi A6.
Old 06-30-24, 09:25 AM
ndunn
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Be sure to read the fine print. I purchased a tire/wheel/dent/key replacement warranty when I purchased my ES. I was supplied one page from a seventeen page document and after bringing it to their attention I never saw the other pages. One thing I learned is that the warranty didn't cover dents only my insurance deductible to have those dents repaired and only some deductibles for certain dents were covered. That was enough for me and I assumed there were other issues that I didn't care to search for. It was a month long hassle being flipped between the warranty company and the dealer to get my money back. I'm now back to my life long belief that warranties are for costs that might be difficult to assume on my own.
The following users liked this post:
Cayennetb (06-30-24)
Old 06-30-24, 09:41 AM
ndunn
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

dupe dupe dupe
Old 06-30-24, 11:16 AM
Cayennetb
3rd Gear

Agree. it must be profit for dealer and tax for a piece of mind..
Old 06-30-24, 11:17 AM
Cayennetb
3rd Gear

yeah.. in general 5-year, unlimited coverage is a steal but there should be a catch.. that's why I'm rethinking...

Last edited by Cayennetb; 06-30-24 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-01-24, 07:10 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayennetb
yeah.. in general 5-year, unlimited coverage is a steal but there should be a catch.. that's why I'm rethinking...
I believe your normal mileage is higher than the normal Lexus driver. Would not surprise me if the typical annual mileage of a Lexus owner is 10k or less, so Lexus is not planning on many claims, using the unlimited mileage as a marketing tool. You are an outlier that really may be able to use an unlimited mileage warranty.

My thoughts on extended warranties....I did not get one on my wife's 2019 ES300h bought in April 2019, but then she only now has less than 40k miles on it. On the other hand, I have extended warranties on my two Mercedes, with the 2020 GLS 450 (my daily driver) being the MB additional two years of CPO warranty at unlimited mileage. I have used the warranty on the 2015 S550 that I have had since April 2019, but not on the GLS that is currently in the original CPO coverage. An added feature of most warranties is that they are transferable in a private transaction (as mentioned above), and also pro rata refundable if you cancel the warranty. I had the extended Acuracare warranty on three of my five MDXs due to the electronics. I had varying usage of the warranties, but always received a decent refund on the unused portion of the warranty when I would trade them.
The following users liked this post:
FastDawg (07-01-24)