ES 300h UL Mild Inconveniences

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-24, 12:55 AM
jsphtrib
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES 300h UL Mild Inconveniences

Hello!

Having just collected my (new to me) 2020 ES 300h, and reading through almost 100 pages of 7th Gen ES forum topics, I still could not find anyone with similar annoyances.

I use the word annoyances because these problems are not something I can't live without, but would improve upon the already high quality of life factor of the ES, which is by far the most comfortable drive I've ever owned.

1. Apple CarPlay Turn-by-turn on the HUD
    I understand from previous posts that AA's directions would not show up on the HUD, while Apple's CarPlay would, just as the turn is about to come up.
    I've driven it for a week now, monitoring the HUD, but it does not show up. I've dived into the settings and selected all assistance/convenience available including navigation, lane assist etc.
    It does show me 2 lines to let me know lane assist is working
    If anyone might have any inkling as to what fix or what I may have missed out, I'd be really grateful.

2. 360 Camera
    One thing I feel that Lexus could really improve on would be the resolution of the reverse camera. It does it's job, and I'm not really counting the number of blades of grass behind the car, but the poor resolution does seem out of place
    in this technological era and a car of this status. Despite accepting that, I've read through previous posts about other's 360 camera and noticed mine does not seem to line up well, showing very clear divisive lines between the cameras,
    while others have posted pictures of theirs that seem to be seamless!
    Have posted some pictures below as a reference. Would love to get some input on if this is something I could possibly fix my self or bring it back to the agent.
    *Things I've tried - cleaning and polishing all 4 cameras (front side and back)*

Old 07-10-24, 04:54 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by jsphtrib
Hello!

Having just collected my (new to me) 2020 ES 300h, and reading through almost 100 pages of 7th Gen ES forum topics, I still could not find anyone with similar annoyances.

I use the word annoyances because these problems are not something I can't live without, but would improve upon the already high quality of life factor of the ES, which is by far the most comfortable drive I've ever owned.
  1. Apple CarPlay Turn-by-turn on the HUD
    I understand from previous posts that AA's directions would not show up on the HUD, while Apple's CarPlay would, just as the turn is about to come up.
    I've driven it for a week now, monitoring the HUD, but it does not show up. I've dived into the settings and selected all assistance/convenience available including navigation, lane assist etc.
    It does show me 2 lines to let me know lane assist is working
    If anyone might have any inkling as to what fix or what I may have missed out, I'd be really grateful.

2. 360 Camera
    One thing I feel that Lexus could really improve on would be the resolution of the reverse camera. It does it's job, and I'm not really counting the number of blades of grass behind the car, but the poor resolution does seem out of place
    in this technological era and a car of this status. Despite accepting that, I've read through previous posts about other's 360 camera and noticed mine does not seem to line up well, showing very clear divisive lines between the cameras,
    while others have posted pictures of theirs that seem to be seamless!
    Have posted some pictures below as a reference. Would love to get some input on if this is something I could possibly fix my self or bring it back to the agent.
    *Things I've tried - cleaning and polishing all 4 cameras (front side and back)*

Welcome! Unfortunately, your HUD only displays turn-by-turn navigation
when using the built-in navigation system. It's a known limitation and a common source of frustration for owners who prefer Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

For reference, here's a relevant discussion on Club Lexus about this issue:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ux-...ns-on-hud.html

Regarding the 360 camera, the resolution is indeed not the best compared to some other models. If the lines between camera views are very noticeable, it could be a calibration issue worth checking with your dealer.
The following users liked this post:
jsphtrib (07-11-24)
Old 07-10-24, 06:05 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 347 Likes on 212 Posts

I can’t speak to AA or Car Play as I use neither, but that screen resolution is not right at all. There’s something wrong with the lens or the calibration.
jsphtrib (07-11-24)
Old 07-10-24, 06:09 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

Congrats on your new car. I have the same model minus the HUD.

1. Only built in navigation will show up on the HUD.
2. Calibration of the cameras will solve most of your problems, especially the overlap problems.
I did the calibration one month ago and it improved things dramatically.

Check this out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post11740276
jsphtrib (07-11-24)
Old 07-10-24, 12:41 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Your model is four going on five years old. Our 24 RX camera views are crystal clear.
Old 07-10-24, 02:35 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Your model is four going on five years old. Our 24 RX camera views are crystal clear.

jsphtrib (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24, 05:30 PM
jsphtrib
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you @UltraLux22 @ATL350 @ESh for your responses, they do help me out going forward.

Much appreciated on your insights and experience!
Old 07-12-24, 07:37 AM
ndunn
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

My '24 UL is full of technology that once realized and turned off improve the enjoyment level of driving. They are just distractions from the world around us and the other drivers who haven't turned it off, someone has to be looking at the road.