ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Sorry for my RANT

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-24 | 07:04 PM
eyesurgeon
Rookie

The disclaimer is a legal requirement and will display regardless of whether the screen is turned on or off.

Most modern cars are not meant to be driven with the infotainment screen turned off as they contain functions important to operating the car. Like it or not.

Many of your complaints I suspect are due to various functions that you have activated likely unbeknownst to you. I have older parents, they are the same way. Facetiming my parents is amusing. as the camera usually ends up either covered by a thumb or pointed at the ceiling. Maybe try to find a very base model of a car that hasn't been updated in a long time and you won't have to deal with the tech as much. The last year of the GS, perhaps, the infotainment system in that car was ancient.
The following users liked this post:
ATL350 (08-24-24)
Old 08-11-24 | 07:30 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eyesurgeon
The disclaimer is a legal requirement and will display regardless of whether the screen is turned on or off.

Most modern cars are not meant to be driven with the infotainment screen turned off as they contain functions important to operating the car. Like it or not.

Many of your complaints I suspect are due to various functions that you have activated likely unbeknownst to you. I have older parents, they are the same way. Facetiming my parents is amusing. as the camera usually ends up either covered by a thumb or pointed at the ceiling. Maybe try to find a very base model of a car that hasn't been updated in a long time and you won't have to deal with the tech as much. The last year of the GS, perhaps, the infotainment system in that car was ancient.
Yeah I figured the warning when the car is turned on is a legal requirement.

As far as cars not meant to be driven with the infotainment screen turned off is concerned, this is total bunk.

If Toyota or any other car manufacturer was HONESTLY concerned about 'driver safety' and thought their current high-tech would provide this safety, they would recall all of their older models that are being driven today (hundreds of millions of cars) and mandate they all have the new technology retrofitted!
Anything short of doing that proves it's all TOTAL BUNK.

I mentioned in a previous post it's a total miracle that after driving multiple 'dumb cars' for 50+ years I never had any of the issues that I now have with this super-duper 'smart car'.
Including being injured by my car (ankle + knee) less than a week after buying it!

And this whole infotainment screen business is hypocritical b.s.
Less than 20 years ago when cell phones started becoming more and more popular, car manufacturers and governments kept warning drivers NOT to drive while talking on their cell phone!
Hefty fines were levied in my neck of the woods if you were caught doing this.

Fast forward 20 years. Now they are encouraging drivers to be DISTRACTED by installing 'infotainment' screens in almost all vehicles!

And the icing on the cake?
Mandating a warning that pops up on the screen when the car starts urging the driver to drive safely! LOL !!!

Old 08-11-24 | 07:47 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

The warning messages that are displayed when the car starts do not keep the drivers safe!
Removing the entire infotainment screen would keep the drivers safe.

The warning messages are meant to protect the manufacturers from being sued by drivers who end up in accidents because
they were playing with their infotainment screens at the time of the accident!

ATL350 (08-24-24)
Old 08-11-24 | 08:57 PM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
I would like to know the RAW truth about this (from multiple sources).
Because I did grill the salesman about this very point.

He told me that although a GPS/satellite receiver is on the car for the Safety Connect feature, it is only activated when you press the SOS button.
Was he telling the truth or was he lying/misinformed?
At a minimum, what the sales person told you is logically inconsistent with the other "no human in vehicle action required" safety connect functionality using GPS derived vehicle location that is automatically sent to the Toyota Response Center. For example, in cases of an accident, an accident emergency notification along with the GPS derived vehicle's location is automatically sent to the response center - no SOS button pushing required which invalidates the sales person claim the GPS receiver is only activated when the SOS button is pressed. Likewise, the GPS derived vehicle location used by the response center for informing the police of the GPS location of a stolen vehicle requires "no human in vehicle action".
NoiseFree (08-11-24)
Old 08-21-24 | 03:01 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Well I am starting to get somewhere with this finally.
I just got off the phone with Lexus Canada.

The agent told me that my Lexus dealer SHOULD have told me that the Navigation system is optional, at the time of sale.
They would have relayed this to the team building my vehicle and NOT included it, as per my choice!

After I have talked to my dealer about this and my other issues I will report back here.

hotwings (08-21-24)
Old 08-22-24 | 06:51 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

Originally Posted by ESh
Sorry to ask, did you read the users manual? Do you know how to use all these systems/electronics?
I don’t think he wants them. He wants a 2025 vehicle with a 1990 electronics system.
The following 3 users liked this post by mmatheny:
ATL350 (08-24-24), ESh (08-22-24), NoiseFree (08-22-24)
Old 08-22-24 | 07:03 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mmatheny
I don’t think he wants them. He wants a 2025 vehicle with a 1990 electronics system.
Right!

I have consulted my user's manual more times than I ever did with my previous 2007 Lexus ES-350 in its 17 years of ownership.
Most of the things I learned just made me more and more irate so any time I look at it now it's just a quick in and out so as not to get more angry.
ndunn (08-23-24)
Old 08-23-24 | 06:36 AM
alextv
Instructor

Toyota techs have ways to diagnose just about every module and also change parameters within including possibly disabling with techstream. Purchase a inexpensive OBDII interface with techstream and do this yourself. You can unplug the gps antenna and the car or lexus will never know where you are (I also think gps can be disabled in techstream but not sure). Opt out of every lexus subscription. Unplug the DCM module if it doesn't interfere with the operation of the car (ESh can tell if it affects operation). There are ways hopefully to bring this car the way you want but don't expect Lexus to help.
Old 08-23-24 | 12:34 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alextv
Toyota techs have ways to diagnose just about every module and also change parameters within including possibly disabling with techstream. Purchase a inexpensive OBDII interface with techstream and do this yourself. You can unplug the gps antenna and the car or lexus will never know where you are (I also think gps can be disabled in techstream but not sure). Opt out of every lexus subscription. Unplug the DCM module if it doesn't interfere with the operation of the car (ESh can tell if it affects operation). There are ways hopefully to bring this car the way you want but don't expect Lexus to help.
Thanks alex for your honest answer.
Very few here who have the knowledge, have the guts to do so.

After speaking with that Lexus Canada agent a couple of days ago I came to the conclusion that the only way this situation will be resolved is if either:
1. Lexus disables the GPS/Navigation.
2. I disable the GPS/Navigation.
3. I get Lexus to order a new vehicle for me without GPS/Navigation.

The least expensive way would be either 1. or 2.
I tried investigating the Techstream/OBD2 port scanner device methods a few months ago, but ran into brick walls. Neither method had the software/hardware for a 2024 Lexus.

I ordered tools to open up my Lexus which should be arriving in a week or two.
If Lexus doesn't disable it, I'll just do it myself.
Old 08-23-24 | 03:32 PM
alextv
Instructor

Toyota still uses techstream and should work on 2024.
Old 08-23-24 | 03:47 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alextv
Toyota still uses techstream and should work on 2024.
Thanks alex.
I ordered the OBD2 cable and tried to get some Techstream software to work with it but it wouldn't start (wanting password etc.).

Also the Techstream software site mentioned something about it being discontinued at the end of 2023.
Being replaced with something else.
Old 08-24-24 | 05:35 AM
kingofire
Advanced

I say you put a bullet thru the screen. You'll never have to worry about it coming on again
FreddyG (09-06-24)
Old 08-24-24 | 05:58 AM
alextv
Instructor

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Thanks alex.
I ordered the OBD2 cable and tried to get some Techstream software to work with it but it wouldn't start (wanting password etc.).

Also the Techstream software site mentioned something about it being discontinued at the end of 2023.
Being replaced with something else.
It is being replaced and the techstream won't auto find because not in database so when inputting vehicle manually put in as a 2023 year. Do not be connected to the internet and if the software asks for password contact who you bought from or use different software.
NoiseFree (08-24-24)
Old 08-24-24 | 06:30 AM
ATL350
Advanced

.... and get off of my lawn!

Sigh. I’ve been driving cars for about 50 years too and there are plenty of things I think are ridiculously overdone with tech. But you know what? The world couldn’t care less what you and I think about that, and they are not building cars, or pretty much anything else, with our demographic in mind. My parents complained about it back when they were alive (“Why does the clock on the VCR keep flashing 12:00?!?”), and young people today will do the same in 50 years time. Things change regardless - some of it good, some it not, but it’s still going to change. While I love the look and feel of old cars I accept the reality that they are far safer and far more reliable today than what I grew up with. Looks and comfort? Well, not so much so, IMHO, but that’s the way the world works. Cars, houses, appliances, clothes, it all changes and nothing is going to stop it. Getting angry about it affects only you - the world keeps moving on.

Last edited by ATL350; 08-24-24 at 06:53 AM.
FreddyG (09-06-24)
Old 08-24-24 | 07:03 AM
ndunn
Pit Crew

Within 200 years we will all be Borg and our implants will do the talking. Resistance is futile.
NoiseFree (08-24-24)

Quick Reply: Sorry for my RANT