ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Quick way to turn AC on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-24, 08:33 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Quick way to turn AC on or off?

It seems that to turn AC on or off you need to go through a couple of screens and menus before getting to the AC button under the climate menus. Is there any short cut way to do this. I don't like to use AC on all the time when I'm in the car so I like to turn it off every now and then. I find that it is cumbersome to go through all the different screen menus before getting to the virtual AC button on screen. I like the old days when there was an AC button on the dash for a quick on or off. Does the ES have any hidden quick menu for this?
Old 08-02-24, 08:50 PM
Arrowrock
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have only had my ES three weeks and have not delved into all the controls. I can say from my limited use that you first want to find the screen that pairs the left and right temperature controls together. Then set the climate control to auto. With that setting made, the mechanical switch for the temp control is right there in reach can be changed by feel while driving. Raising the temp will shut off the A/C and lowering the temp will turn on the A/C. Once you have a comfortable temp, leave the controls alone.

If you want to drive around with the windows open, you will want to explore the climate controls farther.
Old 08-02-24, 09:24 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

For me, I set my comfort temp at 72. To quickly turn ON the AC, press Auto. Done
To turn OFF the AC, select Menu>Climate>press chevron symbol/button>highlight and press AC (Ugh!). I have not found a quick way to turn off yet.
Old 08-03-24, 05:46 AM
RobertJay
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this answer. On my ES 2022 - press the far right button that has recirculate - auto - outside air twice so that 2 green lights are on (AC is running).
To turn off, press that button once so only the bottom light is one (outside air) is lit. Works every time for me. So much easier than going through Menu.
I hope I described the procedure well enough so you understand.
BJ
Old 08-03-24, 08:05 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 510 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertJay
I know this answer. On my ES 2022 - press the far right button that has recirculate - auto - outside air twice so that 2 green lights are on (AC is running).
To turn off, press that button once so only the bottom light is one (outside air) is lit. Works every time for me. So much easier than going through Menu.
I hope I described the procedure well enough so you understand.
BJ
Thank you!
And that concludes my learning process for the 2021 350 ES I bought new 3.5 years ago.
Now that I’ve finally learned all the technology in this car (or at least all that I’m aware of and am interested in using) we’re within a calendar year of the new Gen 8 model and I’ll have to start all over again on the new model! Ugh!
I wish the technocrats would simply leave well enough alone!
Old 08-03-24, 09:11 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

My ‘21 has a button to turn it off!
The following users liked this post:
Denzlex (08-03-24)
Old 08-03-24, 09:27 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Thank you!
And that concludes my learning process for the 2021 350 ES I bought new 3.5 years ago.
Now that I’ve finally learned all the technology in this car (or at least all that I’m aware of and am interested in using) we’re within a calendar year of the new Gen 8 model and I’ll have to start all over again on the new model! Ugh!
I wish the technocrats would simply leave well enough alone!
Can you send a text via Bluetooth (not CarPlay/android play) & send a custom message or are you limited to canned responses?
Old 08-03-24, 10:43 AM
NTH
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmatheny
My ‘21 has a button to turn it off!
Can you post a pic of your center console?
Old 08-03-24, 12:06 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 60 Posts

I’ve never used my screen to turn my AC on or off. I just use the physical buttons. AUTO to turn on, and OFF to turn off. The only reason I’ve ever gone into menus is to re-sync the left and right zones after my wife adjusts the passenger side to her liking. Once the AC is on in the climate menu, leave it. There’s never a need to turn it off. It’s basically on standby. AUTO and OFF is all that’s needed.

Last edited by Denzlex; 08-03-24 at 02:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Denzlex:
bullnobull (08-03-24), Jersey5974 (08-05-24)
Old 08-03-24, 03:09 PM
newgsman
Instructor

I tried pressing the air recirculation button trick and yes it works. I, however don't like to recirculate the air in my car. Prefer fresh air always, even if it makes the HVAC work a bit harder.

So I found another option which is a bit better than having to go through all the main screen menu options to acces the AC control. If you split the screen so that there is a main screen and a slightly smaller secondary screen on the right you can actually access the AC button by using only two touches. I always use this split screen setup. With this, on the secondary screen you can select four sub menus. One of them is for climate control, Selecting that menu gives immediate access to an AC on/off virtual button.

I think thats going to be my go to option now.
Old 08-03-24, 03:28 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
I tried pressing the air recirculation button trick and yes it works. I, however don't like to recirculate the air in my car. Prefer fresh air always, even if it makes the HVAC work a bit harder.

So I found another option which is a bit better than having to go through all the main screen menu options to acces the AC control. If you split the screen so that there is a main screen and a slightly smaller secondary screen on the right you can actually access the AC button by using only two touches. I always use this split screen setup. With this, on the secondary screen you can select four sub menus. One of them is for climate control, Selecting that menu gives immediate access to an AC on/off virtual button.

I think thats going to be my go to option now.
Are you opposed to using the physical buttons? Nothing’s easier than pressing AUTO and OFF.
Old 08-03-24, 04:14 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Voice command works
"hey Lexus Turn AC OFF"
The following users liked this post:
Myshkyn (08-04-24)
Old 08-04-24, 09:28 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwings
Voice command works
"hey Lexus Turn AC OFF"
Isn’t that feature only available in 2023 and newer model years?
Old 08-04-24, 10:10 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Denzlex
Are you opposed to using the physical buttons? Nothing’s easier than pressing AUTO and OFF.
Using the OFF button turns off the AC as well as the blower fan. I prefer to have the bower fan in my car running all the time, even at very low speeds. This keeps the air relatively fresher. I also like the "AUTO" fan blower feature, I find the system regulates fan blower speed very well.
Old 08-04-24, 01:34 PM
NTH
Instructor

Originally Posted by newgsman
Using the OFF button turns off the AC as well as the blower fan. I prefer to have the bower fan in my car running all the time, even at very low speeds. This keeps the air relatively fresher. I also like the "AUTO" fan blower feature, I find the system regulates fan blower speed very well.
Exactly! Hit the OFF button shuts off AC as well as any airflow in the cabin. i just want the AC off.

Quick Reply: Quick way to turn AC on or off?