ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Are Panoramic Roofs Problematic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-24, 02:23 PM
Moondoggy1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Are Panoramic Roofs Problematic?

Right now I'm in negotiations with 2 dealers for a new 2025 ES 350. The one option I REALLY want but don't need is the Mark Levison speaker system. Despite what the Lexus Configurator says the only way I can get the Mark Levison system is to buy an ultra luxury model that comes with the panoramic glass roof. I've seen a video that demo'ed the operation of the panoramic roof and it looks pretty nice but the ultra luxury vs. luxury model will cost me a few grand more than what I would like to pay. That being said, having an all glass roof vs a metal roof with a moonroof kind of freaks me out simply because this is new and different for me. I would prefer getting the Mark Levison speaker system but if the panoramic roof is problematic with leakage, squeaking or other mechanical issues, I will sacrifice it to get an ES 350 that's less prone to problems. Bottom line is that my 2016 ES has the moonroof and I have seldom even pulled the cover back on it much less open it. Can I please get some feedback from those that have a recent model year ES 350 with the panoramic roof so I can make a rationale choice and not let my wants override making a better choice? Thanks.
Old 08-07-24, 06:54 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Moondoggy1
Right now I'm in negotiations with 2 dealers for a new 2025 ES 350. The one option I REALLY want but don't need is the Mark Levison speaker system. Despite what the Lexus Configurator says the only way I can get the Mark Levison system is to buy an ultra luxury model that comes with the panoramic glass roof. I've seen a video that demo'ed the operation of the panoramic roof and it looks pretty nice but the ultra luxury vs. luxury model will cost me a few grand more than what I would like to pay. That being said, having an all glass roof vs a metal roof with a moonroof kind of freaks me out simply because this is new and different for me. I would prefer getting the Mark Levison speaker system but if the panoramic roof is problematic with leakage, squeaking or other mechanical issues, I will sacrifice it to get an ES 350 that's less prone to problems. Bottom line is that my 2016 ES has the moonroof and I have seldom even pulled the cover back on it much less open it. Can I please get some feedback from those that have a recent model year ES 350 with the panoramic roof so I can make a rationale choice and not let my wants override making a better choice? Thanks.
You're definitely thinking about this the right way—a panoramic roof is one of those features that can really make or break your experience, so it's wise to weigh the pros and cons carefully.

It's good to be aware of those potential issues—leaks, squeaks, and the like. While they're not everyday occurrences for most owners, they're not unheard of either, so your concerns are valid.

To give you a bit of perspective from my own garage: My 2019 ES (the first year they offered a panoramic glass roof on that model) had a case of the "noisy seals" that Lexus eventually addressed by replacing the entire glass roof under warranty. Took a few trips to the dealer and a good ten days in the shop, but they got it sorted.

Now, before you swear off panoramic glass roofs for life, my current Mercedes EQS with a panoramic roof has been trouble-free so far. It just goes to show that experiences with these things can vary a lot! Some people have no problems at all.

But since you're thinking things through, here are a few inherent things to keep in mind about panoramic roofs, based on my experience:
  • Noise: The larger glass panel can mean a bit more wind and road noise compared to a solid roof, especially at higher speeds or in bad weather. Keep in mind that sensitivity to noise varies from person to person, so what bothers one driver might not be a big deal to another.
  • Headroom: You do lose a small amount of headroom with a panoramic roof. It might not seem like much on paper, but it can feel more significant depending on the car. If you or your passengers are on the taller side, it's definitely worth checking out in person to see how it feels.
  • Weight: More glass does equal more weight. This can slightly affect your gas mileage and handling, but it's usually not a major difference.
  • Complexity: More parts and seals mean more things that could potentially require attention down the road, even if it's not a common issue.
Ultimately, how much weight you give to these potential downsides, or even if the extra cost is worth it for you, is a personal call. Lexus continues to refine their designs; they wouldn't be so common if they were constant troublemakers. Of course, there's a reason pano glass roofs are so popular! That open, airy feeling in the cabin is hard to beat, and they do look pretty sharp. Lexus has had a good amount of time to work out some of the kinks, so newer models are likely less prone to those early-generation quirks.

Plus, your '16 ES moonroof has been a champ, which bodes well for Lexus's track record. And hey, there's always the warranty if something unexpected does happen.

End of the day, it's your call. If it were me, while my preference leans towards a standard moonroof, I wouldn't hesitate to go for the pano roof if it meant getting most of what I wanted in the car. I always say nothing beats getting behind the wheel yourself. Go check out that ES in person, get a feel for that pano roof, and trust your gut! Remember, message boards are great for info, but everyone's experience is different. Your own preferences and tolerances will play a big role in how you perceive these things. Don't let the internet make your car-buying decisions for you—use this advice to inform your choice, not dictate it.

Last edited by UltraLux22; 08-07-24 at 07:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ATL350 (08-08-24)
Old 08-07-24, 07:37 PM
Moondoggy1
Rookie

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
To give you a bit of perspective from my own garage: My 2019 ES (the first year they offered a panoramic glass roof on that model) had a case of the "noisy seals" that Lexus eventually addressed by replacing the entire glass roof under warranty. Took a few trips to the dealer and a good ten days in the shop, but they got it sorted.out.
Your experience is my concern. Another person sent me a video about a Toyota owner that had the same issue. Multiple trips to the dealership and days without a car. Their issue was that after their warranty ended is when they finally got things fixed by replacing their entire roof but it cost them around $2000 and it took days as they had to disassemble the cars interior. Thanks so much for the insight.
Old 08-07-24, 08:47 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 515 Likes on 367 Posts

Your experience is my concern. Another person sent me a video about a Toyota owner that had the same issue. Multiple trips to the dealership and days without a car. Their issue was that after their warranty ended is when they finally got things fixed by replacing their entire roof but it cost them around $2000 and it took days as they had to disassemble the cars interior. Thanks so much for the insight.
What year was the car in the video you received?
Old 08-07-24, 09:02 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Unfortunately, the extenuating circumstances were that the service department botched the installation, if I recall correctly.
You ultimately must do what will give you a sense of security. My case was very likely uncommon. I would have no reservations if the car I wanted had a panoramic glass roof. I mean I have one now. The Lexus service experience has always been positive for me in less than positive situations.
Old 08-08-24, 12:15 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,040 Likes on 774 Posts

Panoramic sunroofs are reliable if you take care of them.
That means you should never open then on icy conditions, and you should avoid opening/closing them on high speeds.
Old 08-08-24, 01:10 AM
Moondoggy1
Rookie

Here's the video on the repair of a Toyota Highlander wit a panoramic roof. This is making me think twice about buying a vehicle with this type of roof

Last edited by Moondoggy1; 08-08-24 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-08-24, 04:42 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Here's the video on the repair of a Toyota Hilaner wit a panoramic roof. This is making me think twice about buying a vehicle with this type of roof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HyuriUhTSoNot
I get it; that story would make anyone think twice! It's natural to be cautious, but it's important to keep things in perspective. Remember, that was just one isolated incident with a Toyota—and while Lexus is Toyota's luxury brand, it doesn't mean they have identical engineering or quality control across the board. It sounds like the issue wasn't even a faulty panoramic roof itself, but more that the service department messed up the seal replacement. My situation with the Lexus was completely different. To be honest, I used to be like that too - one bad experience with a certain car feature, and I'd write it off completely. I missed out on some great cars because of it!

But think about it - there are thousands of Lexus ES models out there with panoramic roofs, and while issues can happen, they're not the norm. It's like deciding never to fly again because you once heard about a plane crash! Millions of flights take off and land safely every day.

You've done your research, you've heard different perspectives, now it's time to focus on what you want and what feels right for you. But honestly, it seems like you're letting one isolated incident with a completely different brand overshadow all the positives. I totally get it - car buying can be stressful, and nobody wants to make a decision they'll regret. But at this point, what would it even take to convince you that a panoramic roof in a Lexus ES isn't a ticking time bomb? Is it really the potential for leaks that's holding you back, or is there something else at play? Lexus wouldn't keep offering panoramic roofs if they were constantly having major problems - they'd lose customers and damage their reputation.

Maybe schedule a test drive in an ES with a pano roof and see how you feel about it in person? To be honest, there have been times when I was worried about a certain car feature, but once I actually experienced it, I realized my reservations were way more unfounded than I expected. Sometimes, getting that firsthand experience really helps put those fears to rest.

I wish you the best of luck finding the perfect ES!
The following 2 users liked this post by UltraLux22:
ATL350 (08-08-24), MAMOSKO (08-08-24)
Old 08-08-24, 08:48 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I would avoid it. Get the normal sunroof. it's nice enough. when i had my sunroof, i rarely opened it anyway.
Old 08-08-24, 08:55 AM
JRBPilot
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the panoramic roof on my '24 ES. Although I don't open it as much as I though I would.
Old 08-08-24, 10:15 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 951 Likes on 598 Posts

I didn't want it, had to take it, occasionally use it, and don't mind it. It doesn't steal a meaningful amount of headroom in either the front or rear, although it lowers the ceiling between them a bit. It does give that pretty two-tone look on the outside, and on the whole I've come to think it's kind of cool.
The following users liked this post:
UltraLux22 (08-08-24)
Old 08-08-24, 04:19 PM
Moondoggy1
Rookie

I think I'm about to pull the trigger but in a different direction than I was originally headed. Bottom line is that I really didn't want an all glass roof just to get the Mark Levison speaker system. I also discovered that other than the package specification the MY 2024 and MY 2025 ES 350 brochures are identical so I started questioning whether it was worth ordering a 2025 and waiting months for it to arrive or buy a 2024 ES 350 Luxury with the same featured I was going to be getting on the 2025. I went out to the Lexus Configurator website and tried to match the features of a 2024 I found to get a price comparison and found that the 2025 Premium package no longer includes the Intuitive Parking Assist, it's now an $895.00 option. So when I configured the price of a 2025 with the same options I found on a 2024 the 2025 was going to cost me $$2.980 more for the same car. Granted it's a 2024 model year car vs. a 2025 but it's still a new car that I can get next week vs months from now so I'm going to buy the 2024 and be happy that I got a new car.
Old 08-08-24, 05:07 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 562 Likes on 396 Posts

... found that the 2025 Premium package no longer includes the Intuitive Parking Assist, it's now an $895.00 option. ...
Hmm... I just used the Lexus Configurator to build a 2025 Lexus ES 350 with a Premium package and the "DETAILS" pop up for the package lists:
​​​​​​​Premium Package
$2,790

• Power-folding outside mirrors
• Heated and ventilated front seats
• Intuitive Parking Assist with Auto Braking* and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert*
• Heated leather-trimmed steering wheel, windshield wiper de-icer and fast-response interior heater
• Rain-sensing windshield wipers
• Lexus Memory System
• Wood trim
• Wireless charger*
So, the 2025 model year Premium package is the same as the 2024 version's inclusion of the " Intuitive Parking Assist with Auto Braking* and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert" feature.

Although the organization of the feature list is different, the same features and cost is shown for the "PREMIUM PACKAGE" entry in the "PACKAGES" tab of the 2025 ES model types comparison table. It also list the Premium package is available for the ES 250 AWD, ES 350, and ES 300h. Also, no difference from the 2024 version.

Last edited by grp52; 08-08-24 at 05:08 PM. Reason: added missing word tab
Old 08-08-24, 05:29 PM
Moondoggy1
Rookie

Weird. When I ran the configurator for a 2025 ES 2025 Luxury I swear it listed the Intuitive Park Assist as an $895 option but this time it didn't. I went back out to the brochure and checked and the park assist only comes up on the Ultra Luxury and you don't see it listed under the Luxury package. Perhaps they didn't list it properly in the 2025 brochure but here's a screen shot from the brochure.

Here's another weird thing. I went back again and re-priced a 2025 ES 350 Luxury and when I displayed the options from the pull down this time it did show the Intuitive Park Assist as an option to add for $835.00 here's the screen shot:

So, on a 2025 Luxury is it or is it not part of the Premium package? In my case I don't care as it's definitely listed as an included option for the model listed on the dealer's website.

Last edited by Moondoggy1; 08-08-24 at 05:49 PM. Reason: More info to add
Old 08-08-24, 05:50 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 951 Likes on 598 Posts

I don't expect any meaningful differences between the '24 and the '25 except for this kind of equipment shuffling. If a '24 has what you want, and you plan to own for more than a couple of years so the depreciation of the extra model year isn't critical for you, I'd just buy it.

Quick Reply: Are Panoramic Roofs Problematic?