ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Lexus is trying to match the ES to the germans

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-24, 08:04 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by scubapr
Agree 100%. Remember seeing a video from the CarCareNut where Toyota implemented a door open/close switch in the latch (like Germans) on a Supra thus making inexpensive part to replace on any other model very difficult for DIY and costly for others.
that's just because those are bmw parts being used because the supra is a bmw. that's not toyota trying or implementing anything.
Old 08-29-24, 08:06 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

also for those saying complication complication... go see what's going on in the NX450h/500h/Tundra/TT V6 Lexus / Toyota world..

we're all (well you guys are) stuck in the camry/ES 4 banger hybrid which is very reliable indeed.. but you guys know there's a whole other side to the new lexus lineup.....
The following users liked this post:
scubapr (08-29-24)
Old 08-29-24, 08:10 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
the short story is ALL should like this and ALL should cheer it on. this is not a tribal "lets fight lexus thing" this is a "lets agree with lexus that lexus needs to improve" thing. are you saying you disagree with lexus? lol
Agree on the improvements. Almost every manufacturer has something good that Toyota could improve on. IMHO Lexus can copy all good things form any manufacturer (patent permitted) as long as they maintain their current Reliability and as @ESh suggested without making it so complex that it's difficult or costly to maintain.
Old 08-29-24, 08:26 AM
ndunn
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't understand statements like this. So you're saying you won't buy the next ES if Lexus keeps their word and makes good on their promise on matching the germans? We're not talking "over engineered powertrains here" (though as you can see the turbo powertrain issues/tundra engine etc issues), Lexus is talking the chassis---metal. Are you saying you don't want that? (along with all the people who liked this post, seemingly thinking they're cheering on Lexus being superior for being inferior) especially when lexus is saying they want to improve.

i don't think you or people who like this statements understands chassis dynamics. lexus is benchmarking german cars for a reason...
You might be over analyzing what I said but it boils down to my belief that the ES or other Lexi are not inferior. And for the average Lexus driver the increased rigidity, as they enjoy the quiet cabin driving legally while listening to the fine ML system, will be a selling data point to justify a higher price without realizing the benefit.
The following 2 users liked this post by ndunn:
ATL350 (08-29-24), scubapr (08-29-24)
Old 08-29-24, 08:57 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

It's just funny when statements from Toyota/Lexus comes out praising some other car or saying they want to improve and the first thing the most hardcore Toyota fans do is go out and argue against Toyota's own words.. like wait.. do you realize you're fighting Toyota on this? lol. we should all be cheering on improvement.
The following 2 users liked this post by E46CT:
FastDawg (08-29-24), ndunn (08-29-24)
Old 08-29-24, 10:14 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 524 Likes on 373 Posts

Maybe the problem is simply that many Lexus owners bought their cars because of quiet 6 cyl power and luxurious comfortable ride. That’s what we seek. We are traditional, older and prefer the luxury class type of cars not of the future. That doesn’t make it right or wrong, just a preference that’s resisting automotive changes and preferences.
Lexus will inevitably change, maybe to increase its appeal to younger buyers who don’t share the priorities of us 70 and 80 year olds. Us older folks will be sad to see it but that’s simply the nature of change and progress.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shaboom:
LexFinally (08-29-24), ndunn (08-29-24)
Old 08-29-24, 02:18 PM
ndunn
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

It's just funny when statements from Toyota/Lexus comes out praising some other car or saying they want to improve and the first thing the most hardcore Toyota fans do is go out and argue against Toyota's own words.. like wait.. do you realize you're fighting Toyota on this? lol. we should all be cheering on improvement.
You have a good point, improvement isn't a bad thing. The internet made me do it though this being an affordable luxury car like no other it would be a pity to see it become too sporty.
Old 08-29-24, 05:56 PM
freeflight
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Increased chassis rigidity/stiffness can pay dividend to ride comfort. Manufacturer can use softer suspension with rigid chassis, instead of forced to use stiffer suspension with softer chassis to maintain handling characteristics.
The following 2 users liked this post by freeflight:
LexFinally (08-29-24), Wilson2000 (09-02-24)
Old 08-30-24, 08:35 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

To those who think change isn't a good thing you should take a look at what GM did to the C8 Corvette - made it a mid-engine design and eliminated the manual transmission. Some die-hard Corvette owners complained about not being able to use a clutch and won't admit that nobody can out shift a computer. Some people complained about the lack of storage space. It's a sports car!

Chevy has just caught up with demand this year. When the C8 was first built in 2019 for the 2020 model year the wait lists were a year minimum and some people were paying large premiums charged by dealers to get them quicker. I got lucky. I got on a wait list at MSRP at one of the top ten dealers in the country in April 2021 and my C8 was delivered in September 2021. Until early this year you could not find a new C8 sitting on a dealer lot for sale unless a deal fell through with the person who originally ordered it.

I picked out the ES 350 that I wanted and waited a couple of weeks for my dealer to find one for me that fit my specs. We are fortunate.
The following 2 users liked this post by FastDawg:
LexFinally (08-30-24), scubapr (08-30-24)
Old 08-30-24, 11:43 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 142 Posts

For most people it's human nature to resist change. We get used to how something works and resist changing it. It is very common in technology. I remember when people and business did not wanted to migrate from Windows 3.11 > 95 > XP > Win7 > 10, etc. Unfortunately some major changes and improvements sometimes affect other things for the worse; but we have to evolve. At the end, the car should work for us, no the other way around.

The auto industry is fast moving to EV and probably disposable EV's; as battery replacement will cost 50% more than the entire car value if damaged on a collision or after 8-12 yrs, if kept for that long. So unless a new tech emerges, or batt come down in price, that's the change roadmap....
Old 08-30-24, 11:44 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by freeflight
Increased chassis rigidity/stiffness can pay dividend to ride comfort. Manufacturer can use softer suspension with rigid chassis, instead of forced to use stiffer suspension with softer chassis to maintain handling characteristics.
It's actually the other way around.

When a chassis that lacks rigidity is matched to firmer coil springs, the firmer coil springs will not compress - instead, the chassis that lacks rigidity will flex.
By using a stiffer chassis, the firmer coil springs will be forced to compress - rather than flexing the chassis.

In other words, a stiffer chassis allows the manufacturer to use stiffer coils.
FastDawg (08-31-24)
Old 08-30-24, 11:54 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

also for those saying complication complication... go see what's going on in the NX450h/500h/Tundra/TT V6 Lexus / Toyota world..

we're all (well you guys are) stuck in the camry/ES 4 banger hybrid which is very reliable indeed.. but you guys know there's a whole other side to the new lexus lineup.....
Originally Posted by Shaboom
Maybe the problem is simply that many Lexus owners bought their cars because of quiet 6 cyl power and luxurious comfortable ride. That’s what we seek. We are traditional, older and prefer the luxury class type of cars not of the future. That doesn’t make it right or wrong, just a preference that’s resisting automotive changes and preferences.
Lexus will inevitably change, maybe to increase its appeal to younger buyers who don’t share the priorities of us 70 and 80 year olds. Us older folks will be sad to see it but that’s simply the nature of change and progress.
Unfortunately, modern consumers are no longer interested in luxury sedans like our ES's.
Modern consumers are into high riding SUV's and big pickup trucks - despite many never using the truck bed, nor taking the vehicle off-road.

Last edited by peteharvey; 08-30-24 at 02:20 PM.
FastDawg (08-31-24)
Old 08-30-24, 12:06 PM
VTHokie79
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus confirmed their models doesn't have enough chassis rigidity and since 2018 they've been benchmarking the germans. Lexus found that their models could not match German Technology. They took an ES and modified the front to be rigid, for testing purposes. They said they plan to make changes in the future and it will take years. so maybe the next model will be good in that regard, indeed.
Here is the article: https://www.motor1.com/news/731506/l...idity-updates/
But a turbo charged 4 banger will not cut it. Gubmint has regulated 6 and 8 cylinders down the toilet. Toyota dealer offered me big money on my 2018 4Runner because they will be in demand as Toyota transitions to a 4 banger next year. I did recently purchased a 2024 loaded RCF. The V8 will be going away very soon. Probably a turbo'd 6.
Old 08-30-24, 12:11 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,055 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
It's actually the other way around.

When a chassis that lacks rigidity is matched to firmer coil springs, the firmer coil springs will not compress - instead, the chassis that lacks rigidity will flex.
By using a stiffer chassis, the firmer coil springs will be forced to compress - rather than flexing the chassis.

In other words, a stiffer chassis allows the manufacturer to use stiffer coils.

Chassis can flex if not rigid but do you think that flex is more than 1 mm?
Old 08-30-24, 12:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ESh
Chassis can flex if not rigid but do you think that flex is more than 1 mm?
Depending on how rigid the chassis and coil springs are, a stiff set of coils springs can force the chassis the flex "several" inches!
Normally, if chassis is not rigid enough, very stiff coils cannot be used, and if very stiff coils are used, it is used on the understanding that the chassis will flex.

Quick Reply: Lexus is trying to match the ES to the germans