ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Lexus is trying to match the ES to the germans

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-24, 12:44 PM
ndunn
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

I drove new GM trucks for a couple decades and every new model they were improving rigidity by double digits. I could not tell any difference in a vehicle that I was overly familiar with. While rigidity numbers went up with prices overall quality went down. Remember the old saw, don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.
Old 08-30-24, 01:08 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 958 Likes on 601 Posts

This whole thread is a tempest in a teapot. All automakers are benchmarking each other constantly and tear down competitors' cars to reveal their secrets.

Porsche became so concerned about their inferior reliability, it hired Toyota to consult with them and then overhauled their production methods. Hyundai hired Lotus to tune the Genesis sedan's suspension in a concession of defeat that they couldn't do it as well themselves. Automakers including Toyota tore down and imitated the lowly Dodge Neon because it was brilliantly engineered to use fewer parts and fewer fasteners of fewer kinds, shaving hundreds of dollars in cost per car without the customer noticing the difference. And every 24 hours, the sun sets in the west.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexFinally:
scubapr (08-30-24), Wilson2000 (09-02-24)
Old 09-01-24, 09:08 AM
TheRealNY
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Lexus confirmed their models doesn't have enough chassis rigidity and since 2018 they've been benchmarking the germans. Lexus found that their models could not match German Technology. They took an ES and modified the front to be rigid, for testing purposes. They said they plan to make changes in the future and it will take years. so maybe the next model will be good in that regard, indeed.
Here is the article: https://www.motor1.com/news/731506/l...idity-updates/
I don't see the point, might as well bring back the Lexus GS and start from there
Old 09-01-24, 09:36 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 958 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRealNY
I don't see the point, might as well bring back the Lexus GS and start from there
They did develop the next GS. They just put a different powertrain in it and called it the Mirai. The GS in anything but electric form is dead in this country because it didn't sell.
Old 09-01-24, 07:49 PM
RJLsES
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FastDawg
My taste in cars has always been sportier. The one thing that I wish my F Sport offered was the 5.0 liter V8.
Haha, a front wheel drive ES with a 5.0 liter V-8. Now that would be a handful.
Old 09-01-24, 08:22 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Here's my two cents on ES350 chassis rigidity:

Lexus didn't give us fold down rear seats (but the sister Avalon had them!) allegedly for improved structural rigidity.
Do the German car rear seats fold down?
Old 09-01-24, 08:30 PM
Arrowrock
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RJLsES
The front wheel drive 1936 Cord 810 had a 289-cu. in. (4.739 liters) V-8. But it was only rated at 125 HP. Top speed only about 80 MPH, but I would not mind having one in my garage.

Cord (automobile) - Wikipedia

Old 09-01-24, 08:52 PM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwings

Lexus didn't give us fold down rear seats (but the sister Avalon had them!) allegedly for improved structural rigidity.
I would trade ES additional rigidity for fold down rear seats any day. As a family/executive sedan that's a real handy feature for those who do not want SUV's. The ES is not a Sport sedan no matter how many F badges/seats/suspension they add.

On the other hand, more structural rigid sports sedans like the Regular TLX & Type-S have them; although the Type-S (SH-AWD + 355hp) adds extra chassis bracing cuts into some of the available space. The M340i also have them as an option I think.
The following users liked this post:
hotwings (09-01-24)
Old 09-02-24, 06:44 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 370 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwings

If you look at the E-class as the nearest competitor, I believe this newest generation does have a folding rear seat. But the previous generation (akin to the current ES) did not have them. I had a 2014 and they did not fold down.
Old 09-02-24, 06:51 AM
ndunn
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

I suspect this stiffening is a response to the heavier cars in the pipeline that are a result of electrification.

As for a fold down seat, fixed is quieter and more rigid and unless I'm carrying skis or going to Home Depot it won't be missed. This vehicle isn't intended to be a hauler rather it is a comfortable cruiser. It is good as is for that.

Last edited by ndunn; 09-02-24 at 06:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ndunn:
ATL350 (09-03-24), LexusForever (09-02-24)
Old 09-02-24, 02:21 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL350
If you look at the E-class as the nearest competitor, I believe this newest generation does have a folding rear seat. But the previous generation (akin to the current ES) did not have them. I had a 2014 and they did not fold down.
Normally, the Benz rear fold down seats are an extra cost option aren't they?
It reduces the torsional rigidity and bending stiffness too.
Old 09-02-24, 05:11 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Unfortunately, modern consumers are no longer interested in luxury sedans like our ES's.
Modern consumers are into high riding SUV's and big pickup trucks - despite many never using the truck bed, nor taking the vehicle off-road.
The masses are asses! Donkeys, that is!
Old 09-02-24, 05:19 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexFinally
This whole thread is a tempest in a teapot...Automakers including Toyota tore down and imitated the lowly Dodge Neon because it was brilliantly engineered to use fewer parts and fewer fasteners of fewer kinds, shaving hundreds of dollars in cost per car without the customer noticing the difference. And every 24 hours, the sun sets in the west.
Perhaps the engineering was brilliant, but the Dodge Neon was not!

Personally, it bothers me to no end that Toyota uses fewer parts, such as fasteners. It makes it really difficult to work on cars engineered to optimize ease of production while reducing manufacturing costs, as it results in problematic servicing/repairs.
Old 09-02-24, 07:27 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexFinally
This whole thread is a tempest in a teapot...Automakers including Toyota tore down and imitated the lowly Dodge Neon because it was brilliantly engineered to use fewer parts and fewer fasteners of fewer kinds, shaving hundreds of dollars in cost per car without the customer noticing the difference. And every 24 hours, the sun sets in the west.
Perhaps the engineering was brilliant, but the Dodge Neon was not!

Personally, it bothers me to no end that Toyota uses fewer parts, such as fasteners. It makes it really difficult to work on cars engineered to optimize ease of production while reducing manufacturing costs, as it oftentimes results in problematic servicing/repairs.
Old 09-03-24, 06:47 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RJLsES
I would hope for an AWD with the V8. That car would be fast!

Quick Reply: Lexus is trying to match the ES to the germans