ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 08:59 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Let's ignore the fact that the LS platform is a modified higher end TNGA and pretend it has a completely different platform.
What? I'm sorry. I don't understand your point. o.O
Never mind, I understood your point.

Definitely! Now I hope they add AWD as an option.
AWD is probably likely to happen.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 04-18-18 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 09:09 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
What? I'm sorry. I don't understand your point. o.O
The Camry and LS in fact are more related than you think (I know, had to swallow) as they are both built on the new TNGA platform. Obviously they are vastly different cars, but still share a similar basic platform.
Old 04-18-18, 09:29 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Let's ignore the fact that the LS platform is a modified higher end TNGA and pretend it has a completely different platform.
We aren't pretending. While the GA-L and the GA-C is both under the TNGA, they aren't the same. That makes them different.

Originally Posted by yardie876
The Camry and LS in fact are more related than you think (I know, had to swallow) as they are both built on the new TNGA platform. Obviously they are vastly different cars, but still share a similar basic platform.
True. At its most basic form, I agree they are related. But - this doesn't make the Lexus ES a baby LS though.

If anything, the new GS (if it comes out) is the baby LS because they'll both share the GA-L platform. If the Lexus ES was on the GA-L platform as well, which will make it a RWD vehicle, I would be calling the ES a baby LS as well. But its not - so I wouldn't call the ES a baby LS - just my opinion though.
Old 04-18-18, 10:08 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Anyways back to more meaningful discussion. I hope they will offer AWD as an option and this might be my next lease. I do wish they will offer it with the new hybrid system, new cvt and offer more power than the Avalon.
Old 04-18-18, 10:10 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

We aren't pretending. While the GA-L and the GA-C is both under the TNGA, they aren't the same. That makes them different.True. At its most basic form, I agree they are related. But - this doesn't make the Lexus ES a baby LS though.

If anything, the new GS (if it comes out) is the baby LS because they'll both share the GA-L platform. If the Lexus ES was on the GA-L platform as well, which will make it a RWD vehicle, I would be calling the ES a baby LS as well. But its not - so I wouldn't call the ES a baby LS - just my opinion though.
Agreed, but, if Lexus can bring the ES's comfort and refinement even closer to that of the LS, majority of buyers will view it as a baby LS. Of course us enthusiasts know it will never be though.
Old 04-18-18, 10:20 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The ES has always been considered to be a baby LS, right from the early days of Lexus, when there was only large LS and the compact ES. That continues, with the LS continuing to be the large, more conservative, executive sedan and the ES being the smaller but still conservative executive sedan, as opposed to the sportier IS and GS.
Old 04-18-18, 10:33 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
Agreed, but, if Lexus can bring the ES's comfort and refinement even closer to that of the LS, majority of buyers will view it as a baby LS. Of course us enthusiasts know it will never be though.
True. The average buyer will think is the ES is the baby LS if its similar to that of the LS. But that begs the question for average buyers - what happens when the Lexus GS drops and its even more similar to the LS? There can't be two baby LS's, right?

I just personally feel you can't call a Camry/Avalon re-skin FWD ES a baby LS. Its just a bit ludicrous for me. I'm 100% down to call the GS the baby LS because that makes more sense. If the Lexus GS drops a new model, it'll likely share the same GA-L as the LS, have RWD, and have more similar features to the LS/pricing it closer to the LS.

Originally Posted by Sulu
The ES has always been considered to be a baby LS, right from the early days of Lexus, when there was only large LS and the compact ES. That continues, with the LS continuing to be the large, more conservative, executive sedan and the ES being the smaller but still conservative executive sedan, as opposed to the sportier IS and GS.
As much as I think the Lexus ES is a great car and a wonderful design for the new model year. The Lexus ES isn't an executive sedan - it a premium sedan. It can't be a executive sedan because its based on the Camry/Avalon and its FWD. The Lexus GS has always been the executive sedan under the Lexus LS. This is also why the purist VIP-Style folks use Lexus GS and Lexus LS because they were executive sedans.
Old 04-18-18, 10:35 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I like it, the triple LED beam should just be standard every Lexus. This better have standard Auto folding mirrors now . Really want to see what they did with the interior. I suspect the hybrid will have a few more ponies and perhaps a few more mpg than the current. Hybrid battery should be under the rear passenger seat allowing for better trunk space, perhaps even 60/40 split fold. I'd wager it has an optional 301hp V6.
Old 04-18-18, 10:38 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

So a hybrid variant is confirmed, but what about an F Sport? I honestly hope it doesn't get one, but I mean - the RX does, and it's decidedly unsporty. If it has AWD then it will at least be able to power out of a corner, I suppose - and with the new V-6 and 8-speed from the Camry, it should be decently quick compared to the outgoing version... So it's not that farfetched IMO.
Old 04-18-18, 10:46 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
So a hybrid variant is confirmed, but what about an F Sport? I honestly hope it doesn't get one, but I mean - the RX does, and it's decidedly unsporty. If it has AWD then it will at least be able to power out of a corner, I suppose - and with the new V-6 and 8-speed from the Camry, it should be decently quick compared to the outgoing version... So it's not that farfetched IMO.
There's no reason not to Fsport the thing when like you said the RX has it. AWD is badly needed to grow its sales. Or at least take some back from Audi.
Old 04-18-18, 10:56 AM
Hoovey689

There's no reason not to Fsport the thing when like you said the RX has it. AWD is badly needed to grow its sales. Or at least take some back from Audi.
ES needs to badly grow it's sales? It's the best selling Lexus sedan, and second best selling Lexus model behind the RX. The IS and GS need more attention than it. The ES is just stale with it's 268hp motor from 2007 / 6AT, barely usable hybrid model trunk space etc.. This new exterior looks more in line with the latest Lexus sheet metal designs.
Old 04-18-18, 10:57 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I like it, the triple LED beam should just be standard every Lexus. This better have standard Auto folding mirrors now . Really want to see what they did with the interior. I suspect the hybrid will have a few more ponies and perhaps a few more mpg than the current. Hybrid battery should be under the rear passenger seat allowing for better trunk space, perhaps even 60/40 split fold. I'd wager it has an optional 301hp V6.
Agreed. The triple LED beam should be just standard. But Lexus is trying to be like the Germans, making you pay for the lighting options.

Dude! I hope it has power automatic folding mirrors too. But the realistic person in me says ES likely won't have it. I believe the Lexus ES won't have it because of cost-cutting.

I think the hybrid will have a few more HP as well.

Originally Posted by arentz07
I agree. The Lexus ES doesn't need a F-Sport version but it'll likely have an F-Sport version. Lexus seems to be putting a F-Sport option in all their cars. Even the new Lexus UX has a F-Sport model.
The F-Sport model will probably have no power bump as usual too.
Old 04-18-18, 11:16 AM
Hoovey689

Agreed. The triple LED beam should be just standard. But Lexus is trying to be like the Germans, making you pay for the lighting options.

Dude! I hope it has power automatic folding mirrors too. But the realistic person in me says ES likely won't have it. I believe the Lexus ES won't have it because of cost-cutting.

I think the hybrid will have a few more HP as well.
No doubt, and it's understandable. It is a business.

I believe they will finally become standard, because save for the IS, RC, and ancient GX, they're stand on all models including the refreshed NX. That is my opinon though, if they don't debut on the 2019 model, then I believe you'll see Lexus add them on following model years. From Lexus's own history, they've been known to drop features then 're-add' them simply to say hey see we added something for this model year

New Camry puts out 208 total system hp. Current ESh is 200 TSHP
Old 04-18-18, 11:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I believe they will finally become standard, because save for the IS, RC, and ancient GX, they're stand on all models including the refreshed NX. That is my opinon though, if they don't debut on the 2019 model, then I believe you'll see Lexus add them on following model years. From Lexus's own history, they've been known to drop features then 're-add' them simply to say hey see we added something for this model year

of course Lexus will have standard 300hp V6 and new hybrid as in Camry. And of course it will be better equipped than before.

What I am interested in is new stuff, thats not on UX for instance... how much nicer the interior? And digital display as in LS?
Old 04-18-18, 11:28 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah. Its business but they should throw us a bone and make the triple LED standard. xD It'll be good value for the cars anyway.

That's true. The IS, RC and GX don't have it. I believe the new Lexus UX won't have either since its going to be their cheapest offering.
We are going to just have to wait and see what they offer when they reveal it.
Not just Lexus - Toyota tends to do that too. They add good features and then removes it. I have noticed that with the Camry. The Camry had LED brake lights in 2007 but once that generation ended, they removed the LED brakes till 2018. Not sure why they do this. Lol.

You can probably expect the ESh to have 208+ TSHP. Since its based on the Camry/Avalon.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow