ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 01:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
New Camry selling well with atmos engine, but Accord Turbo selling poorly.
Do you think 7ES with atmos engine will sell well?

I suspect 7ES will sell well despite atmos - you know why?
because real buyers always preferred V6 to small 4cly turbo. And ES will certainly have 2.0t in some markets, just like RX has. But not in the USA.
Old 04-18-18, 01:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS

People complained to high hell about the LC! There was a huge thread with people constantly hating on it about it being too heavy, too underpowered, etc etc.
Indeed... both LC and LS got bad reception around here. UX definitely got better and ES will likely too. I guess they easily exceed expectations for cheap cars.

New ES definitely does not look like Lexus's entry level sedan. I bet the best equipped version will go up to $60k.
Old 04-18-18, 01:56 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The new LS is 206in in total length. Last years short and long wheel base versions of the 460 were 199in / 205in respectively. The S-Class is 206.5in total length. Unless Lexus plans on making a Maybach or Pullman equivalent. I highly doubt this.
it wont be a Pullman. But Lexus really put a big focus on driving and handling dynamics on this generation 5LS far more than any other generation before it. Car journalist are puting this new LS in a very specific category of rare front mid-engine layout similarly to a Maserati Quattroporte or Granturismo. The S450 and S560 are not front mid engined vehicles. The S-classes engines sit just over the front axle while more than 2/3rds of the LS’s V6 sits completely behind the front axle like a Maserati the A8 has 2/3rds of ira engine sitting in front of the front axle. On paper the wheelbase looks long on the LS, but you have to consider that many of those inches are dedicated to the engine bay instead of the passenger cabin like the S class and 7 series and G90 are. The LS is going to have less passenger volume than it’s own brands least expensive sedan once the 7th Gen ES goes on sale next year. I think if they add at least 4 more inches specifically to the 5LS’s rear cabin that space will be much appreciated by shoppers seekin a sedan with limousine like rear keg room. The current SWB LS500’s priority is driving feel vs rear legroom. We will have to see.
Old 04-18-18, 01:59 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice for what it is.

My pops always liked the idea of an ES due to its size and affordability, but could never bring himself to buy one due to his dislike for its geriatric looks inside and out along with this relatively cheap interior for as long as time has existed.

Hopefully this model is more modern and higher-quality like the new LS.
Old 04-18-18, 02:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
They were released by Lexus on their Twitter feed so I see no reason to doubt them.
lol well i didn't see anyone state they were official and i thought the car wasn't going to be revealed until the 25th.

once again - social media > car shows.
Old 04-18-18, 02:21 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
New Camry selling well with atmos engine, but Accord Turbo selling poorly.
Do you think 7ES with atmos engine will sell well?

I suspect 7ES will sell well despite atmos - you know why?
I'm not 100% sure why. But for US-Markets, I assume people prefer V6s over small Turbos. However, this won't be true for other markets. I think the EU-Market prefer smaller displacement engines hence that's why there are 2 versions of the 320i in Europe.

Originally Posted by spwolf
because real buyers always preferred V6 to small 4cly turbo. And ES will certainly have 2.0t in some markets, just like RX has. But not in the USA.
Yup. The average consumer in the US-Market prefers V6s over Turbos.

I would say "real buyers" though, more like "average buyers"

Indeed... both LC and LS got bad reception around here. UX definitely got better and ES will likely too. I guess they easily exceed expectations for cheap cars.

New ES definitely does not look like Lexus's entry level sedan. I bet the best equipped version will go up to $60k.
I highly doubt it'll be up to 60K. I'm betting it'll be roughly anywhere between 53-55K tops loaded.
The current Lexus ES sells for 48-50K sticker. Lexus is unlikely to inflate the price too much because they want to keep the Lexus ES relatively affordable.
They also need some breathing room to price the GS between ES and LS too.
Old 04-18-18, 02:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6
it wont be a Pullman. But Lexus really put a big focus on driving and handling dynamics on this generation 5LS far more than any other generation before it. Car journalist are puting this new LS in a very specific category of rare front mid-engine layout similarly to a Maserati Quattroporte or Granturismo. The S450 and S560 are not front mid engined vehicles. The S-classes engines sit just over the front axle while more than 2/3rds of the LS’s V6 sits completely behind the front axle like a Maserati the A8 has 2/3rds of ira engine sitting in front of the front axle. On paper the wheelbase looks long on the LS, but you have to consider that many of those inches are dedicated to the engine bay instead of the passenger cabin like the S class and 7 series and G90 are. The LS is going to have less passenger volume than it’s own brands least expensive sedan once the 7th Gen ES goes on sale next year. I think if they add at least 4 more inches specifically to the 5LS’s rear cabin that space will be much appreciated by shoppers seekin a sedan with limousine like rear keg room. The current SWB LS500’s priority is driving feel vs rear legroom. We will have to see.
At the moment there is no SWB / LWB. The LS500 is the LS500.
Old 04-18-18, 02:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

There will be no LWB LS500, Lexus has specifically said the car will come in one wheelbase. A longer wheelbase one would basically be the largest sedan on the road...
Old 04-18-18, 02:42 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

People complained to high hell about the LC! There was a huge thread with people constantly hating on it about it being too heavy, too underpowered, etc etc.
I was one of them!

Love the LC styling but performance and pricing both leave much to be desired.
Its not selling well at all - my Lex dealer has been offering me to take one for the weekend since they came out lol.
Old 04-18-18, 03:00 PM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I highly doubt it'll be up to 60K. I'm betting it'll be roughly anywhere between 53-55K tops loaded.
The current Lexus ES sells for 48-50K sticker. Lexus is unlikely to inflate the price too much because they want to keep the Lexus ES relatively affordable.
I agree they would keep it in the low to mid 50s as a top end for those same reasons. My 2013 ES350 with everything loaded topped out at just shy of 50k MSRP during its initial release year in 2012. That was before the advanced safety features became standard across the board for Toyota/Lexus.
Old 04-18-18, 03:13 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

looks like a top seller, but that is no GS replacement /substitute
Old 04-18-18, 03:13 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I was one of them!

Love the LC styling but performance and pricing both leave much to be desired.
Its not selling well at all - my Lex dealer has been offering me to take one for the weekend since they came out lol.
I'm not sure why people keep knocking on the LC's performance. It was never design to set track times or impress numbers.
The Lexus LC was design for one thing and that's in its name - just to be a Luxury Coupe. A grand tourer.

The Lexus LC is basically a coupe version of the Lexus LS. Think of the MB S-Class Sedan and MB S-Class Coupe. I don't see anyone knocking MB's S560 Coupe's performance. The S560 Coupe does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and the Lexus LC does it 0-60 in 4.4 seconds - pretty similar figures with LC taking the lead by .1 second. But the Lexus LC gets the hate on performance, not the S560 Coupe?

The Lexus LC probably sells roughly the same amount as S560 Coupes - with the S560 Coupe selling a bit more. The Lexus LC sales is where is suppose to given the price and America being on a SUV craze.

Originally Posted by amphiprion
I agree they would keep it in the low to mid 50s as a top end for those same reasons. My 2013 ES350 with everything loaded topped out at just shy of 50k MSRP during its initial release year in 2012. That was before the advanced safety features became standard across the board for Toyota/Lexus.
Yup. Toyota/Lexus will never want to push the ES price too high. They are pretty conservative as a business and they are likely to keep the recipe the same.
Old 04-18-18, 03:46 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

composite side view taken from video...

if they only did a Volvo and gave it better proportions.
It has the right hood length already.....

Last edited by pman6; 04-18-18 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-18-18, 03:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Pretty sure that GS is moving into different class, and as such ES will need to cover expanded market. It is something that happened with RX... Now loaded RX is $65k, that used to be much lower last generation.

So maybe not $60k unless they add larger optional engine, but with AWD and new options it should be on upper end of 50k-60k range.
Old 04-18-18, 04:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Pretty sure that GS is moving into different class, and as such ES will need to cover expanded market. It is something that happened with RX... Now loaded RX is $65k, that used to be much lower last generation.

So maybe not $60k unless they add larger optional engine, but with AWD and new options it should be on upper end of 50k-60k range.
The LS moving up in size and price was a big giveaway that the IS, ES, and GS will have more breathing room. The most expensive ES I can find has an MSRP of $49,839.00. So yes expect the next ES to tap into the $50's when fully optioned. Probably sub $55K. Current ES starts at $38,950, so I can see starting price be $40K. IS will be able to grow some too, and that starts at $38,210.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow