Old 04-18-18, 05:23 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

finest ES yet!
Old 04-18-18, 06:22 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

good looking overall, awful rear spoiler which lexus has never been able to do right. Dont know why it has to be so big and chunky.
Old 04-18-18, 07:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
composite side view taken from video...

if they only did a Volvo and gave it better proportions.
It has the right hood length already.....

Volvo could only do that because the engine they use is so small.
Old 04-18-18, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 355F1
Any idea why they would choose Beijing over a US-based auto show?

They are probably aiming it at the new Buick Lacrosse, which, though currently slow-selling in the U.S., is far more popular in China.
Old 04-18-18, 07:30 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Besides, this definitely has better proportions than the last ES, something it likely inherited from the new Camry (platform).
Old 04-18-18, 07:40 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They are probably aiming it at the new Buick Lacrosse, which, though currently slow-selling in the U.S., is far more popular in China.
I agree with this. Buick and Audi are extremely popular in China. In China, Buick and Audi is like how we see Mercedes-Benz in the USA.

This would make sense for Lexus to want to tap into this competition and take some sales for themselves.
Old 04-18-18, 08:14 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
composite side view taken from video...

if they only did a Volvo and gave it better proportions.
It has the right hood length already.....

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Volvo's proportion will not work with any wide engine -- like a V6, which the Camry has and the ES likely will have also -- placed ahead of the front axle.
Old 04-18-18, 10:17 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this will put a dent in C-class and A4 sales, maybe even the E-class and A6 too.
Old 04-18-18, 10:31 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I think this will put a dent in C-class and A4 sales, maybe even the E-class and A6 too.

Even though it’s in the same price range as the A4, 3er and C-class I don’t think those buyers in the market for a compact sport sedan will be too interested in a practically full-size luxury sedan. There is a big difference in length, width and driving dynamics when comparing these tiny sedans to the very commodious ES Lexus. It’s a nice car I see it more like stealing sales from the Genesis G80, Buick LaCrosse, Volvo S90, and probably putting a final stake in the heart of the Acura RLX.
Old 04-18-18, 11:16 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6
Even though it’s in the same price range as the A4, 3er and C-class I don’t think those buyers in the market for a compact sport sedan will be too interested in a practically full-size luxury sedan. There is a big difference in length, width and driving dynamics when comparing these tiny sedans to the very commodious ES Lexus. It’s a nice car I see it more like stealing sales from the Genesis G80, Buick LaCrosse, Volvo S90, and probably putting a final stake in the heart of the Acura RLX.
Agreed. Even though they are roughly the same price (I say roughly because the A4 loaded will be cheaper than the ES loaded and depending on the 3 Series/C-Class you might floating around the same price as the ES), the ES is in a different market compared to the A4, 3 Series and C-Class. The Lexus IS is in the same competition as the A4, 3 Series and C-Class.

Highrev6 said it perfectly - it has to do with the driving dynamics. The Lexus ES is a transverse FWD while the A4 is longitudinal FWD and the 3/C is RWD.

That being said - the Lexus ES will do amazing in sales because its a nice car. But it'll take sales away from cars in a different market.
Old 04-19-18, 01:10 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
a small dent.

The ES market is unique, and Lexus is the master of it. They steal a lot from Acura TLX sales and attract value shoppers who wouldn't shop an E class anyway.
Old 04-19-18, 01:25 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Agreed. Even though they are roughly the same price (I say roughly because the A4 loaded will be cheaper than the ES loaded and depending on the 3 Series/C-Class you might floating around the same price as the ES), the ES is in a different market compared to the A4, 3 Series and C-Class. The Lexus IS is in the same competition as the A4, 3 Series and C-Class.

Highrev6 said it perfectly - it has to do with the driving dynamics. The Lexus ES is a transverse FWD while the A4 is longitudinal FWD and the 3/C is RWD.

That being said - the Lexus ES will do amazing in sales because its a nice car. But it'll take sales away from cars in a different market.
The thing with the ES and IS is that while both of them start at the same price point, they are geared toward different segments.

IS is shorter more sporty and "fun to drive" while the ES is larger, more comfy and "luxurious". The ES is size is closer to the E class than the C class but on price is it the C class instead of the E class.

I think it's got a good poisoning and people will certainly appreciate having a larger car without getting into E class price point.

They way I look at it its that oftentimes I think about the IS as a sort of 4 Series Gran Coupe A5 sportback instead of an actual A4 or 3 Series.
Old 04-19-18, 01:31 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
True. The average buyer will think is the ES is the baby LS if its similar to that of the LS. But that begs the question for average buyers - what happens when the Lexus GS drops and its even more similar to the LS? There can't be two baby LS's, right?

I just personally feel you can't call a Camry/Avalon re-skin FWD ES a baby LS. Its just a bit ludicrous for me. I'm 100% down to call the GS the baby LS because that makes more sense. If the Lexus GS drops a new model, it'll likely share the same GA-L as the LS, have RWD, and have more similar features to the LS/pricing it closer to the LS.

As much as I think the Lexus ES is a great car and a wonderful design for the new model year. The Lexus ES isn't an executive sedan - it a premium sedan. It can't be a executive sedan because its based on the Camry/Avalon and its FWD. The Lexus GS has always been the executive sedan under the Lexus LS. This is also why the purist VIP-Style folks use Lexus GS and Lexus LS because they were executive sedans.
Lexus should either reposition the GS as some sort Mercedes CLS, Audi A7 or really step up the game like they did in 2012 with a more comfy and "premium looking card". The GS pretty much won all the handling and fun to drive awards but that didn't actually translate into great sales after the first two years. Perhaps thinking on the GS as not the competition of the E class but CLS would make more sense?
Old 04-19-18, 01:35 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

I like it, the triple LED beam should just be standard every Lexus. This better have standard Auto folding mirrors now . Really want to see what they did with the interior. I suspect the hybrid will have a few more ponies and perhaps a few more mpg than the current. Hybrid battery should be under the rear passenger seat allowing for better trunk space, perhaps even 60/40 split fold. I'd wager it has an optional 301hp V6.
Totally agree, especially if you wan to make it more upscale. It's okay for entry level cars like the CT, UX even the IS but from ES and GS, it should be standard.
Old 04-19-18, 06:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

people dont buy cars by buying "compact sport sedan". They are buying based on their $$$.

So in the range of $40k to $60k, there are plenty competitors where they could like the styling, advanced safety tech and interior quality/space compared to all of the competition. I can see people spending $55k on loaded ES vs base 5 series with 4cly and less room in the back... that is why ES sales have always been strong.

Since 3/5/C/E sell the best, obviously if it comes to sales increase, it is taking sales from those models and not poorly selling Genesis or Volvo.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow