ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-18 | 07:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Every time I take a corner, a highway sweeper, a quick transition in traffic, or anything else besides going straight, I prefer RWD. Any driving enthusiast can tell the difference and that's why RWD is so popular amongst enthusiasts.

Agreed.....no one here is arguing that. But in most situations, aggressive cornering is not the norm, most of the time, for the clear majority of drivers.
Old 04-21-18 | 07:52 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I really hope they add AWD and a turbo V6. If that were to happen, it would mean good things for the next generation of Lexus products. I'm happy to say that they will also keep building based on the Spindle grill because it's a pretty good looking car.
Old 04-21-18 | 10:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

since there's absolutely nothing actually 'aggressive' about the nx, i dislike the poser front lip and gigantic grill. but i guess it is 'aggressive looking'.
the spindle is already aggressive looking for a car that is not actually aggressive like the NX, so you can say it’s a poser anyway, but the spindle shape does not match as well with the horizontal slats to me.
Old 04-21-18 | 10:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I really hope they add AWD and a turbo V6. If that were to happen, it would mean good things for the next generation of Lexus products. I'm happy to say that they will also keep building based on the Spindle grill because it's a pretty good looking car.
I hope they add AWD. But not turbo. The ES is nice and smooth. Does what it does well. Hopefully they don’t change it much. It is really nice not having to pay for premium fuel.
Old 04-21-18 | 10:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed.....no one here is arguing that. But in most situations, aggressive cornering is not the norm, most of the time, for the clear majority of drivers.
Completely agreed. I could give a rats rear end about RWD After driving around my sisters 3 series, I honestly cannot support the idea of it. My husband complained about the hard plastic knee pads on the back of the from seats. Suspension is not at all quiet. Premium fuel. Air conditioning is not that powerful or quiet. Motor is loud. Car feels heavy for a compact The car is even lacking a soft steering wheel (hard on the hands). The ride quality is no better than my 4Runner. Now, back to the ES, all the trade offs of FWD vs RWD for essentially the same price, I see why the ES does so well. This new ES hopefully will not stray from its formula. Can’t wait till Lexus details the stats.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-21-18 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-21-18 | 12:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Completely agreed. I could give a rats rear end about 4WD After driving around my sisters 3 series, I honestly cannot support the idea of it. My husband complained about the hard plastic knee pads on the back of the from seats. Suspension is not at all quiet. Premium fuel. Air conditioning is not that powerful or quiet. Motor is loud. Car feels heavy for a compact The car is even lacking a soft steering wheel (hard on the hands). The ride quality is no better than my 4Runner. Now, back to the ES, all the trade offs of FWD vs RWD for essentially the same price, I see why the ES does so well. This new ES hopefully will not stray from its formula. Can’t wait till Lexus details the stats.
did you mean RWD (vs. 4WD)?
what year is this 3 series you've been driving and what specific model / trim?

agree that requiring premium fuel on almost any car these days is ridiculous. i sold the last car (GS400) that required it in 2006. even my twin turbo v6 g90 doesn't need premium.
Old 04-21-18 | 12:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

agree that requiring premium fuel on almost any car these days is ridiculous. i sold the last car (GS400) that required it in 2006. even my twin turbo v6 g90 doesn't need premium.
I am sorry. I meant RWD. I type a lot on my iPhone and the auto correct is not that great.

My sisters car is a 3 series from 2015.
Old 04-21-18 | 12:05 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

The luxury trim of the MB C-class is where I could see sales being taken from.

These buyers are typically older, comfort oriented, and dont care about RWD vs FWD, but maybe dont want to pay more for an E-class.

Failing that, the E-class may find it harder this generation to justify the over $10k price premium over a redesigned baby LS ES. I guess it depends on how much effort they put into the new ES. The current one wont cut it.
Old 04-21-18 | 12:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The luxury trim of the MB C-class is where I could see sales being taken from.

These buyers are typically older, comfort oriented, and dont care about RWD vs FWD, but maybe dont want to pay more for an E-class.

Failing that, the E-class may find it harder this generation to justify the over $10k price premium over a redesigned baby LS ES. I guess it depends on how much effort they put into the new ES. The current one wont cut it.
I would take the current ES over a C class.
Old 04-21-18 | 12:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am so happy you are being able to tell us how much better any Audi is than ES, even without knowing a single thing about new ES.

Thats amazing.
Camry/Avalon/7ES share the same platforms & drivelines don't they?
If so, 7ES can't just mount the flywheel, torque converter and gearbox behind the front axle [aka Audi] - right?
TMC products are not the holy grail of motoring.
TMC products all have their good points and bad points.
Old 04-21-18 | 12:17 PM
Hoovey689

Yes on your car the key words are 'doesn't need'. The dealer and the commercial tell you to use regular gas, but the owner's manual recommends premium. In part because the turbocharger, direct injection, and the high engine compression ratio benefit from it better, and helps reduce carbon build-up in the future which could affect your power and economy in the long run. But modern engines are smart enough to adjust for knocking and pinging of lower octanes these days. And since people are leasing or buying and keeping a car for fewer years, it's not much of a problem like in yesteryear.
Old 04-21-18 | 12:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
TMC products are not the holy grail of motoring.
TMC products all have their good points and bad points.
Tough to beat the ES. Who outsells it at the price point?
Old 04-21-18 | 12:38 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Tough to beat the ES. Who outsells it at the price point?
ES is best seller in its class, and against the midsize rear drive luxury segment too, however I only said that because spwolf always makes out that TMC products can do no wrong.
I mean, why bother making out that 7ES hasn't been released yet, so we don't know if the flywheel, torque converter and gearbox will really be in front of the front axle.
Why make out that we really don't know if 7ES has a simple single lower link front MacPherson strut?
Old 04-21-18 | 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
so we don't know if the flywheel, torque converter and gearbox will really be in front of the front axle.
Why make out that we really don't know if 7ES has a simple single lower link front MacPherson strut?
I don’t really care.
Old 04-21-18 | 12:45 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I hope they add AWD. But not turbo. The ES is nice and smooth. Does what it does well. Hopefully they don’t change it much. It is really nice not having to pay for premium fuel.
That's a tough one for TMC.
An ES AWD must have TT otherwise it will be a slug [slow].
On the other hand, the 3.5 V6 TT is a large capacity V6 with heavy reciprocating mass, hence it won't idle as smoothly nor rev as well as 3.0 TT used in E43 & 540i.
The smaller capacities are more economical too.
Will be interesting to see if TMC's new V6 TT's come in smaller capacities like 3.0 and even 2.5.

It was a similar tough proposition for LC coupe.
The 5.0 V8 atmos is old tech, but at least it could rev smoothly.
The 3.5 V6 TT is powerful, but won't idle as smoothly, nor rev as smoothly as the 5.0 V8 atmos.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow