ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 09:38 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Is this a Dynamic Force engine? If it is indeed the same engine as the outgoing model, then 302 is weak since its been 306 (311hp now?) since forever in the GS.

Yes the ES does use the a Dynamic Force V6 they just happen to share the same general cylinder displacement size of 3.5 liters. But the devil is in the details and the engine used in the 2013-2015 GS has very little in common with this new motor. The older and now mostly retired 2GR-FSE was only used in RWD drive cars and is not as fuel or thermally efficient as this new 2GR-FKS which employs Toyota’s latest VVT-iW cam technology as well as on demand Atkinson cycling. The Camry/ES/Avalon and current 4GS/3IS all now use the same engine although tuned to different hp and torque specs.
Old 04-25-18, 09:38 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Exterior looks too much like the new Camry for me, plus no AWD. My GS lease comes up in 4 months. I guess I'm changing brands.
Old 04-25-18, 09:45 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rijc99
Exterior looks too much like the new Camry for me, plus no AWD. My GS lease comes up in 4 months. I guess I'm changing brands.
Well - the Lexus ES is basically a Camry/Avalon in a suit.

You can just wait for the next Lexus GS. With this Lexus ES reveal - it looks like the GS is alive and well. The 7G Lexus ES is no GS replacement vehicle.
Old 04-25-18, 09:52 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rijc99
+1 .. The interior is too Camry’esque for a luxury badge. And it certainly isn’t good enough for current or pass GS owners to consider. I still get compliments on my 3rd Gen GS. My colleague from work says no one ever compliments his ES.

This new car is a decent redo for Lexus but I doubt it was ever considered to be a reasonable replacement for the GS.
Old 04-25-18, 10:01 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Propulsion
+1 .. The interior is too Camry’esque for a luxury badge. And it certainly isn’t good enough for current or pass GS owners to consider. I still get compliments on my 3rd Gen GS. My colleague from work says no one ever compliments his ES.

This new car is a decent redo for Lexus but I doubt it was ever considered to be a reasonable replacement for the GS.
+1 I agree with this too. I was saying this earlier. This 7G Lexus ES is definitely much better than the 6G ES. But its not a Lexus GS replacement. Its simply not good enough to be a Lexus GS replacement.

One thing I find very strange is - the lighting on the Avalon seems to be more luxurious than the ES. The Avalon has full LED headlights plus sequential turn signals on front/rear. It looks like the Lexus ES doesn't even have rear LED turn signals.
Old 04-25-18, 10:19 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Originally Posted by chromedome
The GS could live on as a 4-door coupe sibling of the LS.

The sad truth is that the GS doesn't sell at all compared to the 5-series, let alone the ES.
Agreed. I thought Lexus would’ve followed Audi, Mercedes and BMW into the 4dr coupe territory years ago. But to this day, Toyota​​​​​​/Lexus has no sexy 4dr coupe that competes with the A7, CLS or 6 series gran coupe. The GS would’ve been perfect to transition into that market. I’m hoping that Lexus may surprise us but I fear it won’t happen.

Btw, the 4th gen GS had lack luster styling which contributed to its lower sales. The GS was suppose to be Lexus’ emotion/style/performance sedan.
Old 04-25-18, 10:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Have to see the interior in person, burn I think showing the all black version was a mistake...
Old 04-25-18, 10:26 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
The Avalon has full LED headlights plus sequential turn signals on front/rear. It looks like the Lexus ES doesn't even have rear LED turn signals.
Wtf! Has this been confirmed? Even my 3rd Gen GS has full LED turn signal clusters (thanks to E-bay )

When the Honda CRV and a few Kia products feature full LED clusters on their models, I think it’s appalling for a Luxury badge to lack it!

Last edited by Propulsion; 04-25-18 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-25-18, 10:26 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That white one looks great. New sales leader incoming. Toyota has another homerun thanks to the Camry.
Old 04-25-18, 10:37 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

they did it right with the front end, with the headlights and grill-lexus' best one to date imo
Old 04-25-18, 11:02 AM
mgauss7
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
he meant that ES looking really luxurious will drive in buyers who cant afford $80k vehicle, not that it will draw actual buyers of LS that are looking to spend $80k-$100k on the car.

It is very similar to what Mercedes is doing with their own styling of C, E and S, so I am not sure what is so surprising there? I bet C/E looking like S has brought many new buyers to the C/E, and sales show it.
I am dropping the LS500 and will wait 5 months for the Es instead.
1) the mechanical ride of the ES is much better than the new nervous LS500 air ride at low speeds. It is an honest ride without overriding high frequency roads
2) they are not discounting the LS, and they have a huge delivery problem, for two months I waited for the LS500 and non came in in silver colors, none in 3 dealerships
3)the ES has Apple CarPlay and I am an Apple lover 100%. I have 3 iPads, one in each bathroom, a large iMac, my old iMac also, the X, the pods, the HomePod, a second display for the iMac, and now I cannot resist the Apple CarPlay. No way I can resist it. After 28 years of LS with excellent rides they managed to over engineer the air ride and it feels like the car is shaking all the time, like vibrating nervously like a violinist holding on too tight.
4) the ES looks just as cute as the LS now. And it does not have all of fake artsy fake touches that right panel on the LS500 it is an offense, just a painting, it is not live for the passenger, if I had a driver I'd be in front, I'm not dead yet in back
Old 04-25-18, 11:16 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

Second question is about a fold-down rear seat. There is now a V-shaped brace behind the rear seat. Will this get in the way of a fold-down rear seatback or would there only be a centre armrest pass-through?

can't believe they're still doing this, and have been for the last 15+ years.
This is not a performance vehicle, and there's no need for extra rigidity, especially considering how the germans all have fold down seats, and are still sportier.

And the 2019 avalon has fold down seats.

on my 03 ES, I have had to remove the rear seat and V brace completely to haul big stuff.
This class of shoppers will occasionally need to load something like a big screen TV.
Old 04-25-18, 11:24 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Lexus continues to take the easy (cheap) way to maximize profits.

Instead of this propped up FWD Camry in a suit, they could have introduced a segment leading midsize executive sedan to go head to head with Volvo S90, Genesis G80, A6, Eclass and 5series.

It should have been RWD based with turbo 4,6, and 8 cyl engines mated to a 10speed trans. Ride would focus on luxury but can allow for sporty driving when needed. Interior would have the Best in class materials and best in class rear space. It would deliver value for the $$$. That would be a GREAT ES and get me excited for Lexus comeback to past glory - this is meh.
Then GS could be the 4door coupe like CLS, A7, GranCoupe.

Why is this so hard to do Lexus??? Just make the investment and go all out.
Old 04-25-18, 11:33 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 189 Likes on 131 Posts

Any pictures of the large HUD mentioned during the unveiling ?

Also, will it have a bird's-eye view like 2018 Camry does?

Any mentioning of the panoramic roof?

No dedicated AC on/off button again
Old 04-25-18, 11:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Any pictures of the large HUD mentioned during the unveiling ?

Also, will it have a bird's-eye view like 2018 Camry does?

Any mentioning of the panoramic roof?

No dedicated AC on/off button again
it will have 360 camera, as to the pano none of the pics showed it, but they also did not show many things so far... as usual they like to space things out.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow