ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 03:45 PM
mgauss7
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus killed the GS AND LS with the ES!!

1) The ES has Apple CarPlay, the new LS500 has the hated by all others thing. The Lexus/Apple connection is the essence of #1 preference middle ground...from the Apple Store to the Lexus dealer. Maybe orthopedic or Taylor Swift on the third stop.
2) The ES now has HOLD, great for oldies who don't want to step on the brake for 5 long minute red lights.
3) The ES looks cute and competent and LS like at half the price, "same 6 cyl", they look the same from a distance.
4) The finance packages on the LS are bad, no discount
5) The LS has delivery and production problems, I tried my best to get one for three months from 3 dealers, now I'm ES bound with the CarPlay.
6) The LS500 ride is not steady and royal like the LS400/430/460. It is nervous, vibrational, bucky. There go the oldies. I drove an LS500H and a Sport.
7) The ES ride was always the nearest to the LS. After driving LS for 28 years from the 400, the son's ES was if I didn't look the same ride. The GS ride was better.
8) A lot of money went into truly artsy LS500 things, Levinson is 5K more, door panels with extra patterns, fake space age drawing on the dash for the passenger.

Lexus gave the ES 2019 a lot. V6 standard, the LS look, the ride is better, Sport package, same dash wheels, 19". CarPlay.

What I would advice Lexus is bring back the LS460, those LS people now disoriented going to Cadillac dealerships will come back. Keep the LS500, it will be a dog with production problems always. As things were, the GS was doomed. If they want a presence in the BMW5 market, then offer GS 1 month drives to qualified buyers for free as a dare against the BMW 5/3.

Meet the new LS 460 inheritor: The BMW7

Last edited by mgauss7; 04-25-18 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typos fixed
Old 04-25-18, 04:55 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What is interesting about Toyota, is that they used (and still do) pride themselves on making cars that were specifically designed for certain markets. It will be sad if this new ES is designed first and foremost for the Chinese market, and the US is considered secondary.

Eventually Lexus will be building this ES in China as well.
I think it's clear that the US market will become secondary at some point, given how the market in China is exploding. Not that we won't get cool stuff, but China will be the king.
Old 04-25-18, 04:59 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
There are 4 cameras. In addition to the wide-angle backup camera, there is a wide-angle camera in the nose and wide-angle cameras in each of the side mirrors. Software then stitches together the 4 different images into a single image and inserting a fake picture of the car in the centre to give a top-down, bird's-eye view.
Thank you kindly. That makes sense.
Old 04-25-18, 05:01 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Bingo. Here's a lost sale to a LS500 in favor of a ES350. Yes, CarPlay is a game changer. It gives incentive of previous ES owners to consider to upgrade, or here in this case, cause a LS downgrade (or order shift/cancellation/trade in current LS) to something newer. It's not about which car is better on the specs (eg 0-60 times, hp) but the buyer/owner experience they seek. Apple lovers are out there in the hundreds of millions, and globally.
I find carplay rather uninspiring when it comes to whole user experience thing. It's not laid out well either. It's not smart nor radical compared to oem infotainments, it acts as navigation screen is a tablet you hold in your home or office instead of like a screen in a moving vehicle and so on. Apple just like Google didn't do anything to add to driving experience, they both just mimicked familiar interface on your car screen from your cell phone.
Old 04-25-18, 05:02 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by highrev6
[left]

, but I hate having a car that is popular. Once the 7ES hits dealers you can guarantee you’ll see them everywhere you go. There won’t be any escaping every time you get on the highway your going to see 10-20 of these a day on your morning commute especially if you live in Urban California or Florida.
Then you wouldn't want to drive a G Waggen or a 911 in Los Angeles... They are more common than Corollas.....

In my daily driving, I see a lot more LS than ES. Then again driving an ES around here....would be beneath a lot of people
Old 04-25-18, 05:04 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Yup around here they call it the secretary special. Basically $250 leases.

Single tail pipe 320i...... quite sad .....

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
+1 On the 3 Series comment.

3 Series is everywhere in the dense Bay Area. On my commute to the office everyday - I see tons and tons of 3 Series. Mostly stripper or minimally packaged 3 Series though.

EDIT: I can literally see a few from my window right now while I'm eating lunch.
Old 04-25-18, 06:39 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Then you don't want to see stripper 5-series diesels in Europe with manual transmissions and cloth seats... Company rep specials, they call them.

I guess I'll have to ignore all the "Camry in a fancy frock" comments coming from people who have never owned a Camry, Avalon or an ES. If they did, they would know those cars share similar mechanicals but the driving experience is totally different.

Not going to bother defending the ES for what it is either, I'm happy with mine and Lexus are happy with the sales figure too. There's nothing wrong with badge engineering when it produces good cars - see how the Opel Insignia became the Buick Regal, for example.

As for the exterior design, the profile view looks much more like an Avalon than the 6ES. The hood line seems lower and the body-colored lip on top of the grille is still there. The roof line at the rear is higher and the Bangled rear deck lid is more angled, looking more like a hatchback, probably to increase rear headroom. The 6ES has a smoother, flowing shape in profile but the 7ES looks better from the front.
Old 04-25-18, 06:52 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 134 Posts

So is it ES250 or ES260?????

Old 04-25-18, 06:57 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Looks like HUD

Old 04-25-18, 07:01 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Bird's-eye view cameras

Last edited by NdYAG; 04-25-18 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-25-18, 07:04 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

What are these things highlighted in blue? Vibration dampers like on CT200h?

http://www.lexomans.com/manguide-82.html

Old 04-25-18, 07:13 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

Last edited by kinglexus99; 03-13-22 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-25-18, 07:16 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

More details at this link, if you can read Chinese: https://m.autohome.com.cn/advice/201...areaid=3290348

The all-LCD driver display on the F-sport looks sweet. All that LFA tech finally filtered down to the unwashed masses

Looks like the ES hybrid will get a bigger boot and potentially folding rear seats, now that the battery pack is under the seat and not behind it. The Chinese market will get the ES260 and ES300h with the ES200 probably coming later on. North America should get the ES300h and ES350.
Old 04-25-18, 07:17 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Originally Posted by nixx621
No AWD and no TT confirms the GS is safe, IMO.
F-Sport ES confirms GS is dead, IMO.
Old 04-25-18, 07:23 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Originally Posted by chromedome
Looks like the ES hybrid will get a bigger boot and potentially folding rear seats, now that the battery pack is under the seat and not behind it.
Not likely. As been mentioned a v-brace there would not allow for folding seats.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow