ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 01:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I meant handling only. I agree the ES is a great entry lux car. It will be class leading for sure but AVS won't make it compete with the sports sedans. My only point is that the F Sport is mostly a cosmetic package...a fashion statement for most of Lexus lineup.
Agreed, and it's not meant to be. The F-Sport part of it is mainly to capitalize on the popularity of the F-Sport package by Lexus which is a good move. And the AVS will simply help the ES be ever so slightly more 'buttoned down' when it comes to handling, which is welcome to the ES line that has historically been loose and wallows during a turn.
Old 04-27-18, 01:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I meant handling only. I agree the ES is a great entry lux car. It will be class leading for sure but AVS won't make it compete with the sports sedans. My only point is that the F Sport is mostly a cosmetic package...a fashion statement for most of Lexus lineup.
But if the ES comes with an extra sport ++ mode as well as AVS, then the ES F sport is not just a cosmetic upgrade.
Old 04-27-18, 01:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
omg, so much blathering on fwd, rwd, awd, and platforms and silly designations. toyota designating all the new platforms with the TNGA prefix is highly confusing for one thing, but for another, it's all irrelevant. what matters is how they drive, how they feel, how much they cost, what configurations do they offer.
I agree. I personally think the current ES is a better car than both the IS and GS. This new ES should expand on that. Then eventually, a new GS perhaps will be the better car.
Old 04-27-18, 01:59 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Most of the F Sports don't have a Sport+ mode with AVS. I believe the IS350, RC350, and GS350 are the only ones i know of (maybe the LC500 and LS but i haven't driven though). The GS350 also gets AVS with the luxury package. I haven't seen Sport+ on any of the FWD derivatives.

AVS helps with the handling but it can't make a mediocre car into a super star. The GS / IS / RC just have a really good platform for handling and the AVS makes it incrementally better.

adjustable dampers are available on the front wheel Avalon Touring, Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac XTS, Lincoln Continental. It helps to stiffen up the ride keeping the tires in contact with the pavement more often. But it won’t turn the ES or any other car into a superstar. The Civic Type R and Golf GTI being like the only two exceptions I can think of that are great handling from wheel drive vehicles. The ES F sport is unlikely to out handle vehicles like the Mazda 6 or the Accord Sport 2.0l. It will drive fine, but it will be just a pretty featured packaged Boulevard Cruiser.

Last edited by highrev6; 04-27-18 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-27-18, 01:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But if the ES comes with an extra sport ++ mode as well as AVS, then the ES F sport is not just a cosmetic upgrade.
I said mostly a cosmetic upgrade. The slightly stiffer suspension won't make much of a difference in the handling ability of the front heavy car.

I also disagree that the ES is the better car. It's more successful sales wise due to its target segment but the IS has been much better received by the enthusiast press and has won numerous comparisons while the previous ES hasn't won any. It's been a middle tier car at best. Here is hoping the new ES changes that.
Old 04-27-18, 02:00 PM
Hoovey689

The key word in his post was 'mostly'. The F-Sport package entails a sport tuned suspension, more bolstered seats, active dampening if equipped with S+, and cosmetic changes.

My only point is that the F Sport is mostly a cosmetic package
Old 04-27-18, 02:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The key word in his post was 'mostly'. The F-Sport package entails a sport tuned suspension, more bolstered seats, active dampening if equipped with S+, and cosmetic changes.
^^. So does that quality for “mostly” or more than?
Old 04-27-18, 02:17 PM
Hoovey689

^^. So does that quality for “mostly” or more than?
Not sure I understand your wording.

To put is simply; F-Sport is a handling upgrade and appearance package.

Even F-Sports without AVS have stiffer static suspension than non F-Sport versions.
Old 04-27-18, 02:19 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree. I personally think the current ES is a better car than both the IS and GS. This new ES should expand on that. Then eventually, a new GS perhaps will be the better car.
I disagree. The 7G Lexus ES is currently much better than the 6G Lexus ES and it'll do great in sales but its definitely not better than the IS or GS in terms of driving dynamics nor overall. But in terms of luxury and appointment, the Lexus ES is obviously better than the Lexus IS simply because it just cost more. You pay for what you get.
Building on that idea of you pay for what you get, a new Lexus GS will definitely be better than the ES. Its just how capitalism works.

Also, like EZZ mentioned, the Lexus IS has won multiple awards as well.
Old 04-27-18, 02:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ

I also disagree that the ES is the better car. It's more successful sales wise due to its target segment but the IS has been much better received by the enthusiast press and has won numerous comparisons while the previous ES hasn't won any. It's been a middle tier car at best. Here is hoping the new ES changes that.
How one judges whether a car is better or worse than another varies on different criteria. I have seen a GS next to an ES. Not worth the upgade in price point IMO. For the Canadian market, my father was going to buy either a GSawd (only way to get it) or an ES. The GS was $23K more at the time ($64K vs $41K)). With that in mind, all he wanted to do was go from here to there with some trips to South US. He was coming from a previous Toyota sedan, previous was a Cadillac and the ES just got it all right for him. It was the better car in his minds. Especially when you put the GS next to an ES and compare the real, or precieved space inside.
Old 04-27-18, 02:31 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

The GS is somewhat more reserved/mature in its interior design, but I always thought it seemed better built. Some of the door materials on the current ES in particular strike me as a little cheap relative to the GS's. However, I will say for its price, the current ES does all right for itself. The new one undoubtedly looks better at least in pictures and notably less "busy" - a good thing.
Old 04-27-18, 02:36 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
The GS is somewhat more reserved/mature in its interior design, but I always thought it seemed better built. Some of the door materials on the current ES in particular strike me as a little cheap relative to the GS's. However, I will say for its price, the current ES does all right for itself. The new one undoubtedly looks better at least in pictures and notably less "busy" - a good thing.
Well that's because it is higher grade quality and finish Current ES feels like previous gen RX, yeah it's luxurious looking but there is something off about it and that's cost cutting measures. I don't expect new one to be in line with current GS at all but I do expect a bit of improvement.
Old 04-27-18, 02:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

How one judges whether a car is better or worse than another varies on different criteria. I have seen a GS next to an ES. Not worth the upgade in price point IMO. For the Canadian market, my father was going to buy either a GSawd (only way to get it) or an ES. The GS was $23K more at the time ($64K vs $41K)). With that in mind, all he wanted to do was go from here to there with some trips to South US. He was coming from a previous Toyota sedan, previous was a Cadillac and the ES just got it all right for him. It was the better car in his minds. Especially when you put the GS next to an ES and compare the real, or precieved space inside.
I thought you'd previously mentioned that your parents have been unhappy with their ES and had wished they didn't buy it. Am I remembering incorrectly?
Old 04-27-18, 02:46 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by JDR76
I thought you'd previously mentioned that your parents have been unhappy with their ES and had wished they didn't buy it. Am I remembering incorrectly?
iirc it was because of the 'Remote Touch', and the lack of a physical AC button. I could be wrong though
Old 04-27-18, 02:51 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Well that's because it is higher grade quality and finish Current ES feels like previous gen RX, yeah it's luxurious looking but there is something off about it and that's cost cutting measures. I don't expect new one to be in line with current GS at all but I do expect a bit of improvement.
Cost cutting measures are most definite. I read on multiple car magazines that the rumored or expected 7G Lexus ES price should be roughly around no more than 40K, which is barely 1K more than the current starting price. Toyota/Lexus wants to keep the Lexus ES at a competitive price so cost cutting in some areas are likely.

I think one of the areas might be the turn signals. The rear turn signal for the 7G Lexus ES looks like a non LED turn signal. From the pictures - they look like a slightly bigger version of the 14-16 Lexus IS rear turn housings and not LED looking at all. I could be totally wrong though.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow