ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 02:59 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems as if Toyota/Lexus is embarrassed by their 2.0L turbo....

If the GS is really to be discontinued, the new ES, though it does look nice, certainly is not set apart from the Camry. Oh except for you can get the Camry hybrid with a Li-Ion battery pack and not the ES. And while I'm sure that there is some financial/marketing reason to all of that, if I were a potential Lexus buyer, that wouldn't make me feel like I'm spending the money on the best of the best. Because it isn't.
Old 04-27-18, 03:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I thought you'd previously mentioned that your parents have been unhappy with their ES and had wished they didn't buy it. Am I remembering incorrectly?
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
iirc it was because of the 'Remote Touch', and the lack of a physical AC button. I could be wrong though
Yes. Poorly thought out remote touch and no way to turn off the AC in easy way. Also, their Lexus dealer does not allow them to take the Lexus to the service person on the other side of the building at Toyota despite letting them know know they will pay the Lexus service rate.
Old 04-27-18, 03:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
It seems as if Toyota/Lexus is embarrassed by their 2.0L turbo....

If the GS is really to be discontinued, the new ES, though it does look nice, certainly is not set apart from the Camry. Oh except for you can get the Camry hybrid with a Li-Ion battery pack and not the ES. And while I'm sure that there is some financial/marketing reason to all of that, if I were a potential Lexus buyer, that wouldn't make me feel like I'm spending the money on the best of the best. Because it isn't.
that's random. Why do you assume what they think?
Old 04-27-18, 03:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's random. Why do you assume what they think?
I would have thought that the ES would be a prime candidate for the 2.0L. They don't offer the IS or the GS with AWD and the turbo. Oh and Lexus has re-named their '200t' models '300'. It's like they're trying to hide this motor.

....that being said, I've never drive any Lexus with the new turbo engine. Could be rough and inefficient for all I know.
Old 04-27-18, 03:12 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes. Poorly thought out remote touch and no way to turn off the AC in easy way. Also, their Lexus dealer does not allow them to take the Lexus to the service person on the other side of the building at Toyota despite letting them know know they will pay the Lexus service rate.
What? There's an "OFF" button... Are they in a current-gen ES?

https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...f/OM33C68U.pdf (see page 368)
Old 04-27-18, 03:19 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07

She means a dedicated AC button, like the IS has. Many Lexus vehicles do not have a hard button for this and it seems to irritate many folks on here.
Old 04-27-18, 03:21 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I would have thought that the ES would be a prime candidate for the 2.0L. They don't offer the IS or the GS with AWD and the turbo. Oh and Lexus has re-named their '200t' models '300'. It's like they're trying to hide this motor.

....that being said, I've never drive any Lexus with the new turbo engine. Could be rough and inefficient for all I know.
Personally I don't think so (at least for the moment). The 2.0L as you mentioned in the last sentence is a bit 'rough', which counters what the ES is about, which is smoothness which is why it retains the NA V6. The 2.0T gets harped on for being "slow".. but truth is the engine is fine, slight lag that's alleviated in 'Sport' mode. The main culprit is the weight of the cars. If the IS could shed 200lbs, it would be more punchy and efficient. The reason they don't offer the IS, RC, and GS 2.0T's with the AWD is because it currently can only accept RWD. The FWD based vehicles like NX was made to accept AWD. There are two versions of the 2.0T but the RWD versions offer 6 more hp. The reason Lexus made the switch to the '300' moniker is because it's main competitors C300 (used to be C250), and 330i (used to be 328i) made the switch.
Old 04-27-18, 03:22 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by arentz07

OFF turns off the entire climate control. There is no dedicated AC button. Auto can turn it on but does not turn it off hence it's not a real button. The AC 'button' is an icon located in the Climate tab within the NAV menu.
Old 04-27-18, 03:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

OFF turns off the entire climate control. There is no dedicated AC button. Auto can turn it on but does not turn it off hence it's not a real button. The AC 'button' is an icon located in the Climate tab within the NAV menu.

Yes, my Lacrosse is the same way. It's one of my few irks with the car. You can't combine or re-route the airflow from dash/defrost/floor vents, either, without going into the video screen....you could on my older Verano.
Old 04-27-18, 03:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I see the new ES also doesn't have an AC button. It's fine with me. My IS had it and I never used it even once, but I certainly recognize not everyone feels that way. I never saw a need to keep the climate control running but turn off the AC compressor. I just set it and forget it.
Old 04-27-18, 03:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I see the new ES also doesn't have an AC button. It's fine with me. My IS had it and I never used it even once, but I certainly recognize not everyone feels that way. I never saw a need to keep the climate control running but turn off the AC compressor. I just set it and forget it.
For me. I cannot under any circumstance drive any car with the vent or fan in the off position. Fan can go off as long as vent is open. But in the winter, can’t see any reason why the AC compressor has to be on. Or when it’s mild outside.
Old 04-27-18, 03:46 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

For me. I cannot under any circumstance drive any car with the vent or fan in the off position. Fan can go off as long as vent is open. But in the winter, can’t see any reason why the AC compressor has to be on. Or when it’s mild outside.
Yeah, just like you, I do not like to drive with the vents off. I like some air flowing.

I don't have any issue with it being on as needed. I believe having it "ON" only means it's available if the system deems it helpful. It won't actually be running the entire time. In my climate, it's very helpful in the winter, when it's so damp, for defogging the windows. It'll vary with climate and preferences, but like I said, I had it and never used it once.
Old 04-27-18, 03:49 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe the compressor' s function is linked with the Outside temperature sensor and cabin temperature setting. So the car only enables the compressor if needed, otherwise its disabled. So i don't mind not having a dedicated A/C button, it has not given me a problem so far.
Old 04-27-18, 04:02 PM
Hoovey689

I prefer when there is a dedicated AC button like on the IS. But Lexus's reasoning to hiding it/ not adding a button is mostly because by leaving it 'On' it is a dehumidifier like JDR76 mentioned. It can reduce fogginess in the windshield, and less off and on reduces the change of mildew growing in the vent system. It's great on the hybrids because it doesn't have to use any gas and can run on electricity from the hybrid system. So even with AC 'ON' you can set your temperature to 85 degrees and it will be super hot or 65 degrees and it will be super cold. It's not much different than your thermostat at home. Just set the temperature to what you feel is comfortable.
Old 04-27-18, 04:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It is important that the A/C compressor be run occasionally during the off-season...maybe five or ten minutes a week. That, of course, is to keep the belt-driven compressor's bearings, pulley, and other moving parts lubed so that they don't dry out and corrode. Even with compressors run by an electric motor, it is also important (though somewhat less-so) to run them during the off-season. You don't have to put up with an icy blast from the vents, though......all modern A/C units allow you to mix as much heat in with the airflow as you want. just by turning up the heat-****. Also, most modern defrost systems automatically turn on the compressor in the defrost mode, to provide a source of dry air...that's why the air sometimes comes out cold and chills the windshield down unless you add heat.

Here's a link to that subject, and you may also find it mentioned in the Owners' Manual of some vehicles.

https://www.autorepairshopsanjose.co...car-ac-winter/.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow