ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18 | 10:14 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Nah. AWD is coming to the ES. Toyota executives during the Auto Show launch of the Avalon confirmed that the Avalon is capable of AWD in the future if needed.
LOL well why would they not offer it in the beginning.
You have to ENGINEER the car to have AWD, u cant just stick it on when you feel like it.

They also need to brand their AWD like the competition - 4matic, Xdrive, Quattro, SHAWD etc.

The people that run Lexus are asleep at the wheel, there is so much MORE they can be doing. Atleast get the Marketing on point that's easier than new engines!

Last edited by RNM GS3; 04-28-18 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-28-18 | 10:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

LOL well why would they not offer it in the beginning.
You have to ENGINEER the car to have AWD, u cant just stick it on when you feel like it.
Toyota has done things like this before. AWD was not offered on the 07 LS if I am correct. Came a few years later? The rationale is you want the early adopters to go for what is available. Then gradually add more options.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
LOL What makes you think Toyota has not engineered AWD into the ES or Avalon? Toyota is on record stating that the Avalon is capable of AWD in the future if there is a demand for it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-28-18 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-28-18 | 12:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The engine code of the new ES350 is the same as the GS I believe.
It isn’t the same, one will be a transverse application and one will be a longitudinal application, so they’ll have different codes.
Old 04-28-18 | 12:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS

It isn’t the same, one will be a transverse application and one will be a longitudinal application, so they’ll have different codes.
They are both 2GR-FKS.
Old 04-28-18 | 12:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting, are you sure thats the same engine code used in the GS now? My 13 GS used 2GR-FSE.
Old 04-28-18 | 12:43 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Interesting, are you sure thats the same engine code used in the GS now? My 13 GS used 2GR-FSE.
Yes, the engine code switched to FKS in the 2016 GS.
Old 04-28-18 | 01:01 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
On the topic of the 4IS, I disagree with you that it'll have a new Turbo with 20 extra HP/TQ. Toyota and Lexus are pretty slow on changing engines, like super slow that its ridiculous.

Evidence of this is: The 2IS held the 2.5 V6 from 06 till 2015 - a total of 9 years. (And the 3.5 V6 even longer - for a total of 12 years.) Since the AR Turbo was only released in the IS for MY2016, its likely Lexus won't change out the engine in 4 years (MY2021 for 4IS). It'll be too quick to change and they'll likely milk it till they have to change it. I mean, the 2014 Lexus IS sold similar numbers to the 2006 Lexus IS despite having a 8 year old engine at the time.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Disagree if you want. It's my opinion, and you can have yours.
If the IS retains the 311hp 3.5L V6 then its doubtful they'll upgrade the 2.0T. If they manage to put a detuned 3.5L TTV6 in there, there's a better chance of the upgrade.
Lexus also changed two powertrains on the GS between 2006-2007. 2006 GS300 and GS430 to the 2007 GS350 and GS460. So anything is possible.
But as for right now, the 2.0T is not needed in the 7ES hence its omission.
Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Ahh! I didn't mean any offense. I'm just disagreeing based on my opinions. Of course - this is car chat and everyone is allowed to have their opinions.

I just believe, being how slow Toyota actually switched up engines, they'll likely keep the AR Turbo and the 311HP V6 on the Lexus IS. However - I do agree with you. Anything can happen and Lexus can switch things up - just like they did with the GS.

But it back to the ES - yeah, the ES doesn't need a I4 Turbo. I believe it has to do with pricing (Lexus doesn't want it to start any lower) and because the Avalon doesn't have a I4 Turbo.

Bippu, I would recommend that we give our opinion - without quoting - let alone putting down another member's opinion.
Having to put down another member's opinion points to being judgemental, self righteous and opinionated.
We are not God.
Who are we to judge who is right or wrong?

Best we be positive and give our opinions, without the need negatively to put down another poster's opinions.
It makes better etiquette and a happier forum.

7ES Transmission Tunnels
The lower the vehicle floor, the deeper the transmission tunnel.
Furthermore, a deeper transmission tunnel increases torsional rigidity and bending stiffness.

New 7ES appears to have potential for AWD.

However, I am "feeling" a gradual transition towards electrification of the motor vehicle industry.
TMC appears to not want to do too much more with traditional internal combustion engines.
They seem to want to avoid low fuel consumption small capacity turbos.
They don't want to invest in a 4.0 V8 TT.
They don't appear interested in electric turbos that can accelerate to 70,000 rpm in just 2 milliseconds to eliminate lag.
I don't think TMC is that interested in 7ES AWD, although most of the "passive" AWD mechanicals are already there in the Highlander.

I suspect that TMC wants to jump directly into EV's.

Now, it's phasing out of ICE, and phasing in with EV.
Thus I sense an "ulterior motive" to the axing of the GS line; there seems to be an EV replacement in the near future.

Back in the late 19990's, there were many naysayers who refused to give up Kodak film, newsagents, book stores, libraries and cash money.
They refused to accept the coming of digital photography, computers and plastic/electronic money.
Ditto motor vehicles...
Old 04-28-18 | 01:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Which is what I figured and that identifies the problem, right? Automakers aren't targeting sedans to the younger generation. This vehicle is targeting a market that is getting smaller and their demand for buying vehicles is decreasing. For instance, my dad is 66, retired, and has 26k miles on his 2012 E350. No intention of buying another car. I'm 31. I might be more interested in an ES if it offered a PHEV option and/or AWD. I don't need 300 HP through the front wheels.
what other phev sedans with AWD are you looking at?

Lexus EU has clearly stated they wont do PHEVs... but rather EVs... expect quite a few to be revealed by 2020. But they will likely be sold only in markets with large government incentives.

In most of Europe, phevs wont get no incentives after next year or two, just EVs... so most manufacturers are thinking along those lines... in markets where there are no large incentives, there are no sales either.
Old 04-28-18 | 01:58 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
Impatiently waiting for the Subaru PHEV for the wife.

I just think that the Lexus buyer might be keen on a PHEV. I do recall Lexus stating that they wouldn't be offering such a vehicle. ...given the number of MKZ hybrids that I see, I am surprised that they didn't offer an Energi option.
Old 04-28-18 | 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yes, the engine code switched to FKS in the 2016 GS.
According to Wiki, the 2GR-FKS combines the 2GR-FSE with a simulated Atkinson-cycle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine

2GR-FKS

The 2GR-FKS combines the D-4S system from the 2GR-FSE with the simulated on-demand Atkinson cycle used in the 2UR-GSE and 8AR-FTSengines. The intake camshafts are equipped with VVT-iW and the exhaust camshafts are equipped with VVT-i. In the Tacoma the engine specifications are 207 kW (278 hp) at 6000 rpm and 359 N⋅m (265 lb⋅ft) at 4600 rpm.[9] In the Lexus RX 350 the engine specifications are 220 kW (295 hp) at 6300 rpm and 362 N⋅m (267 lb⋅ft) at 4700 rpm respectively. In the Lexus IS350 and GS350 the engine specifications are 232 kW (311 hp) at 6600 rpm and 380 N⋅m (280 lb⋅ft) at 4800 rpm respectively.

Applications (calendar years):
Old 04-28-18 | 02:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Back in the late 19990's, there were many naysayers who refused to give up Kodak film, newsagents, book stores, libraries and cash money.
They refused to accept the coming of digital photography, computers and plastic/electronic money.
Ditto motor vehicles...
I don't think ^^^ is the same analogy. I get what you are trying to say, but think we are far away from this.
Old 04-28-18 | 02:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

They just turn it sideways.
Old 04-28-18 | 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

They just turn it sideways.
I'm aware of that lol. Typically Toyota engine codes are different in transverse vs longitudinal applications though.

The ES/Camry engine has always been essentially the GS engine without DI.
Old 04-28-18 | 02:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf

Lexus EU has clearly stated they wont do PHEVs... but rather EVs... expect quite a few to be revealed by 2020. But they will likely be sold only in markets with large government incentives.

In most of Europe, phevs wont get no incentives after next year or two, just EVs... so most manufacturers are thinking along those lines... in markets where there are no large incentives, there are no sales either.
I don't think ^^^ is the same analogy. I get what you are trying to say, but think we are far away from this.
Spwlf says just 2020.
However I don't think 1st Gen EV will be that good.
By 2025, 2nd Gen EV will come.
2030 and 3rd Gen EV will be here.
Surely they'll have graphene batteries by then...
Old 04-28-18 | 03:00 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

No matter what Lexus does, to some its just never good enough. The 1# most Reliable Brand? And as high as it is in Owner satisfaction. What is the Perfect car? Depends on the person.

Can tell from this Thread............ about another new Lexus. I keep wondering if the same car, but Thread title was the New 2019 BMW 3/5 Series. Or... MB C/E Class was the same car, what would be the responses if was not the ES but a different Brand? Sure there will be some neg rebuttal coming. You don't have to Buy a ES, or be happy as some are with one. ( Now putting on a Flame Retardant Suit).

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow