ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 03:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
No matter what Lexus does, to some its just never good enough. The 1# most Reliable Brand? And as high as it is in Owner satisfaction. What is the Perfect car? Depends on the person.

Can tell from this Thread............ about another new Lexus. I keep wondering if the same car, but Thread title was the New 2019 BMW 3/5 Series. Or... MB C/E Class was the same car, what would be the responses if was not the ES but a different Brand? Sure there will be some neg rebuttal coming. You don't have to Buy a ES, or be happy as some are with one. ( Now putting on a Flame Retardant Suit).
I love 7ES's new **** & I'm sure it'll do well, but someone mentioned about prospects of 7ES getting 2.0T & AWD, and one thing led to another - so as usual, the topic side tracked a bit into electrification, hence TMC's lack of desire to invest much more into ICE's...

Old 04-28-18, 08:51 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,422 Likes on 1,121 Posts

For the record I was not directing my post to any one poster. Was just saying that if that same pictured car was The New 2019 said model the same, BMW or MB, think the Non Lexus attachment might have some singing a different Tune. A market of Loyal MB and BMW Owner would likely be jumping for Joy to Buy it too.

Least we forget, The Original LS and ES almost cost MB and BWM the world, and had them have to get it together a little better Engineering wise.
Old 04-28-18, 09:11 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

The fact that people are having a conversation comparing the new ES with the GS tells me that it's a knockout winner already. As a sports car enthusiast, I would not consider it, however for others like my parents, I would highly recommend it (of course cross shopping it with it's fraternal twin, the Avalon). It seems Lexus did too good of a job on the ES, lol.....
Old 04-29-18, 03:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
The fact that people are having a conversation comparing the new ES with the GS tells me that it's a knockout winner already. As a sports car enthusiast, I would not consider it, however for others like my parents, I would highly recommend it (of course cross shopping it with it's fraternal twin, the Avalon). It seems Lexus did too good of a job on the ES, lol.....

Why should the ES be a potential replacement for the GS at all? That's what you already have the RWD IS for....though I'll admit that the GS, in general, is a lot nicer car than the IS, which is cheaply-done in comparison. And, if desired, one can move up to the RWD LS. The ES does what it's supposed to do...appeal to those who are non-sport-oriented and prefer comfort and FWD traction over RWD characteristics. I considered an ES myself, BTW, before I ordered my Lacrosse.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-29-18 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-29-18, 04:36 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
For the record I was not directing my post to any one poster. Was just saying that if that same pictured car was The New 2019 said model the same, BMW or MB, think the Non Lexus attachment might have some singing a different Tune. A market of Loyal MB and BMW Owner would likely be jumping for Joy to Buy it too.

Least we forget, The Original LS and ES almost cost MB and BWM the world, and had them have to get it together a little better Engineering wise.
Same happens on BMW/MB forums believe me.

Hell the new M2 Competition was criticized and its better in every way than current model.

People including myself have said this new ES will sell and overall its a decent car but it is NOT as good as the GS and it doesn't move the needle in any way in its standing as a "luxury" car.
Old 04-29-18, 04:40 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

The only reason people are comparing them is because ES will survive and GS is done.

They are very different cars in terms of dynamics and overall build quality.

What makes it a winner compared to competition besides price?

Last edited by RNM GS3; 04-29-18 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-29-18, 04:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree. It is bewildering to see so many GS people give the ES so much attention. I personally would rather see Lexus pour all their resources into the ES model than have their resources split between an ES and GS models. If the GS is done, then so be it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-29-18 at 05:11 AM.
Old 04-29-18, 05:52 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

LOL well why would they not offer it in the beginning.
You have to ENGINEER the car to have AWD, u cant just stick it on when you feel like it.

They also need to brand their AWD like the competition - 4matic, Xdrive, Quattro, SHAWD etc.

The people that run Lexus are asleep at the wheel, there is so much MORE they can be doing. Atleast get the Marketing on point that's easier than new engines!
Lexus calls its AWD: All Weather Drive for gas powered cars and E-Four for the hybrid variants. .
Old 04-29-18, 06:19 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why should the ES be a potential replacement for the GS at all? That's what you already have the RWD IS for....though I'll admit that the GS, in general, ia a lot nicer car than the IS, which is cheaply-done in comparison. And, if desired, one can move up to the RWD LS. The ES does what it's supposed to do...appeal to those who are non-sport-oriented and prefer comfort and FWD traction over RWD characteristics. I considered an ES myself, BTW, before I ordered my Lacrosse.
Great points. The better luxury version of the ES is the LS line up. Want more sporty, go to the Racing Coupe (RC) series and get your fill of RWD options.

What we do not know at this time is how the ES handles and those driving impressions will be due soon this summer. A non-turbo V6 that does 300hp is optimizing how fuel is injected. Does it need turbo? probably not for a few years. Some have said that when BMW came out with their twin turbos, it ruined the purist feel of a straight 6/8 and made the car a heck a lot more complicated and expensive to maintain. We'll never know the engineering decisions behind the scenes. I do admire their approach to be reliable and worth it's value in the long haul (unlike other cars where people give up on the car whenever the warranty ends in 3 or 4 years, and fall into 'touch me or I'll burn your wallet' category when it reaches 90k miles or more).
Old 04-29-18, 06:30 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

The only reason people are comparing them is because ES will survive and GS is done.

They are very different cars in terms of dynamics and overall build quality.

What makes it a winner compared to competition besides price?

I don't think anyone has confirmed the GS is history, at least in the US

And I was not comparing the ES to the GS. I think you missed my whole point.

Lastly, compared to the TLX, Avalon, Buick, and maybe Maxima, it has the brand cachet of Lexus, the great looks and build quality. I'd seriously consider one myself if I just wanted a well made comfortable cruiser.
Old 04-29-18, 06:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

People including myself have said this new ES will sell and overall its a decent car but it is NOT as good as the GS and it doesn't move the needle in any way in its standing as a "luxury" car.
exactly right.

i'm sure tons of people will buy and love the new es. personally i just don't like how fwd cars drive and usually poor turning radius limit. But the es is well positioned to do great and in europe give cars like the a6 some competition.
Old 04-29-18, 08:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and usually poor turning radius limit.
The ES turning radius is .6 feet more than a GS. The AWD GS and FWD ES have the identical turning radius numbers. All reported by Lexus.com
Old 04-29-18, 09:25 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the new ES is a good looking car and well executed overall, and that it should sell well in its traditional role/segment, but it is not a replacement for the GS.

I don't understand how the Germans can seemingly so quickly churn out multiple cars based on the same platform, but Lexus struggles. The have the new RWD global platform under the LS and LC, how hard or costly could it be to make a GS based on that. Not only that but other body style variants as well.
Old 04-29-18, 09:54 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree. It is bewildering to see so many GS people give the ES so much attention. I personally would rather see Lexus pour all their resources into the ES model than have their resources split between an ES and GS models. If the GS is done, then so be it.
LOL. The comparison stems from the fact that we're worried that we won't see a new GS and won't consider downgrading to an IS or ES (including the 7th gen) and it now seems our only option would be to upgrade to an LS (but at that price point, you're opening the door to a lot of great cars, many of which are not in the Lexus portfolio). How Lexus approaches building cars and the level of craftmanship/attention to detail that goes into their vehicles is exemplary. Having had 2 4GS models now, it's a pretty special car and is a unique blend of attributes that can't really be found elsewhere IMO, especially because of the Lexus qualities and craftsmanship that go into building it. I love the Lexus brand and would hate to leave it but feel like I may not have a choice. The current lack of confirmation that there will/won't be a new GS leaves many feeling stuck between a rock and a hard place when upgrade times comes around.

Sure, you can compare the two on the surface. They're both similarly sized 4 door sedans from the same automaker. In reality, the true enthusiasts already know there is no competition between the two and no comparison can truly be made. The ES, at least in it's current and past configurations, will never compete with the GS and I doubt anyone is worried about that taking place this time around.

Last edited by signdetres; 04-29-18 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-29-18, 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm sure tons of people will buy and love the new es. personally i just don't like how fwd cars drive and usually poor turning radius limit.
FWD vehicles don't necessarily have to have a poor turning-radius if the steering-rack, wheel wells, wheel/tire size are properly design/spaced, and they use good CV joints.

(You probably already know what CV joints are, but, if not, they are multi-directional mechanical fittings on the front axle-shafts, similar to universal joints on a RWD driveshaft, which allow the front wheels to turn, bounce up and down with the suspension, and be fed power at the same time).

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow