ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 02:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm tempted to change the Title to 'ES vs the World' . The first several pages may have been about the 7ES. Since then, 870 posts in, RWD vs FWD, GS, Lexus Models, GR engines vs FI, I even saw someone mention the LFA earlier.

Here ya'll. This is the 2019 ES. Talk about this

The following users liked this post:
xBROKER (05-28-18)
Old 05-03-18, 02:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott

And........ the Camary does what the Camary does, the ES does what the ES does. F Sport will do what it does. Guess how many Camary,s they Sold last year? LOL!

In spite of CL downing it’s Sporty appearance, non race track handling, and lack of 400 hp plus!

And now the Thread has turned into a TT Turbo Thread
I don't think people are downing it. The Camry and ES are excellent appliances perfect for the job and they will continue to be the bread and butter for Lexus. I'm hoping Lexus introduces the V6 TT in the next IS / GS or its going to be behind the rest of the Luxury players.
Old 05-03-18, 03:08 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not completely. The 3.5TT is made for the GA-L not TNGA. It would have to be significantly reworked or a new variant made to mate to FWD/AWD, where the current set-up is mated to RWD/AWD.
Good point. +1. I think the 3.5TT will be almost definite for the GA-L platform, which will include the Lexus IS, GS, and etc...
Old 05-03-18, 04:21 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm tempted to change the Title to 'ES vs the World' . The first several pages may have been about the 7ES. Since then, 870 posts in, RWD vs FWD, GS, Lexus Models, GR engines vs FI, I even saw someone mention the LFA earlier.

I'm so glad you posted this photo compare. One is your usual quick shot with lens distortion while other is tucked up press release image in which they tried to hide the signature ES minimalistic surface blend tall doors with horizon reflection that splits it in half. Those doors are dead give away it's your usual ES no matter how hard they try to disguise it with aggressive front and back pillars. They also nip tucked the actual height of the car stretched the overhangs for better proportions (that's why get that Mazda 6 lean profile vibe in a blue car).
Old 05-03-18, 04:27 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Good point. +1. I think the 3.5TT will be almost definite for the GA-L platform, which will include the Lexus IS, GS, and etc...
A 3.5 V6 TT is perfect for an ES "Active 40:60 torque split etc" AWD too - if such a model could be derived from the RX passive AWD system.

PS.
Of course such an ES FWD-based AWD will be decent, however it will never handle as well as a RWD-based AWD GS, because in the former, the transversely mounted engine in front of the front overhang is too far from the yaw center, resulting in too much polar moment of inertia for sluggish changes in direction.

Furthermore, the ES's cheap single lower link front MacPherson strut suspension cannot keep the front tires near perpendicular to the road surface to maximize grip like the GS with its front double wishbone suspension.

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-03-18 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-03-18, 04:31 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,054 Posts

So far no one has Driven it, and some already know that it Sucks. LOL!

Would be better if it was Built like a GS, that few Buy.
Old 05-03-18, 04:34 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, that just goes to show you what's really important in the Lexus line-up.......not the GS, high-powered LC/RC coupes, or F-performance models. Like it or not, the ES and RX is where a lot of the money and sales are.
This Thread almost belongs in The Debate Forum.
Old 05-03-18, 04:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Nobody is saying that at all. People just want Lexus to ALSO still make a GS. This car can never be a replacement for the Lexus GS is the point, not that this is not a good replacement for the Lexus ES.
Old 05-03-18, 04:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This car can never be a replacement for the Lexus GS is the point, not that this is not a good replacement for the Lexus ES.
Wonderful statement
Old 05-03-18, 05:03 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
A 3.5 V6 TT is perfect for an ES "Active 40:60 torque split etc" AWD too - if such a model could be derived from the RX passive AWD system.

PS.
Of course such an ES FWD-based AWD will be decent, however it will never handle as well as a RWD-based AWD GS, because in the former, the transversely mounted engine in front of the front overhang is too far from the yaw center, resulting in too much polar moment of inertia for sluggish changes in direction.

Furthermore, the ES's cheap single lower link front MacPherson strut suspension cannot keep the front tires near perpendicular to the road surface to maximize grip like the GS with its front double wishbone suspension.
Agreed. Good post! +1

A 3.5 TTV6 would be good for an AWD set up Lexus ES as well. But agreed, it'll never be as good as the RWD GS.

I honestly don't think they'll ever give the Lexus ES an AWD or 3.5TT. I believe Toyota will refuse to do it because of the cost and their target ES demographic wouldn't care for it.

Nobody is saying that at all. People just want Lexus to ALSO still make a GS. This car can never be a replacement for the Lexus GS is the point, not that this is not a good replacement for the Lexus ES.
Wonderful statement
Agreed. No one is saying the ES sucks. Majority of the people think the 7G Lexus ES is an improvement over the 6G Lexus ES but they also think the Lexus ES is not a replacement for the Lexus GS.
Old 05-03-18, 05:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

But the Title or Subject are not. - "The GS Replacement" -, is it? And has Lexus has Not made a Grounded statement about the GS Future Officially yet? That's what I don't get. You understand what I'm pointing out?

Why cant we just let the ES be what it has always been and recognize the changes, after all it was the 2nd Historical Lexus Model? No its not a replacement for the GS, LS, IS, its always been.......... The Lexus ES. Just saying.
Old 05-03-18, 05:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

But the Title or Subject are not. - "The GS Replacement" -, is it? And has Lexus has Not made a Grounded statement about the GS Future Officially yet? That's what I don't get. You understand what I'm pointing out?

Why cant we just let the ES be what it has always been and recognize the changes, after all it was the 2nd Historical Lexus Model.
Its just timing. Everybody is worried about the GS being discontinued and they were looking for clues as to whether it would be or not be in the next version of the ES.

If anything the fact that this thread has been taken over by discussion of the GS shows its importance to the enthusiast side of the business vs the ES. In Car Chat you tend to find more enthusiast minded people vs just Lexus people or certainly just model specific people. The ES is what it is, and this new 7ES is just the same ES formula tweaked a little...really not much to talk about. Its exactly what we expected, with the same engine we expected, it looks just like we expected, it doesn't include any new features or layout changes that we thought it might (AWD for instance), so really what is there to talk about? It has the DI version of the 3.5 NA V6....just like we thought....its a little bigger...just like we thought...has an F Sport version...which we figured it would...still FWD, no AWD, has a wide screen, which we knew it would. Same ol.

I'm sure if you started or participated in a thread about the new ES in the ES forum it would stay more ES focused.
Old 05-03-18, 05:19 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Wonderful statement
Show me something Lexus stated that it was the Replacement for the ES.
Old 05-03-18, 05:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this thread has over 26000 views. over an ES...
and 1/3 of the views are because of GS?

i for one only track this thread because of the death of GS

agreed 100%. i am sure this car is going to be good improvement over the current ES, but to replace the GS... blah....
Old 05-03-18, 05:22 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Its just timing. Everybody is worried about the GS being discontinued and they were looking for clues as to whether it would be or not be in the next version of the ES.

If anything the fact that this thread has been taken over by discussion of the GS shows its importance to the enthusiast side of the business vs the ES. In Car Chat you tend to find more enthusiast minded people vs just Lexus people or certainly just model specific people. The ES is what it is, and this new 7ES is just the same ES formula tweaked a little...really not much to talk about.

I'm sure if you started or participated in a thread about the new ES in the ES forum it would stay more ES focused.
On the other hand I doubt if the New GS was introduced you would have Sour ******, crying that it was Not a replacement for the ES. IMO. This is how it reads with the last 10 pages, and before that. Which other Lexus Model cried when they made a F Sport on that Model?

Is the 7th Gen ES better than the 6th Gen with what we know now? Realistically?

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow