ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
On the other hand I doubt if the New GS was introduced you would have Sour ******, crying that it was Not a replacement for the ES. IMO. This is how it reads with the last 10 pages, and before that. Which other Lexus Model cried when they made a F Sport on that Model?
Because quite frankly, enthusiasts don't care about the ES, and the ES isn't in any danger of being discontinued...so no announcement about the new GS would concern anybody about the future of the ES.

The bottom line is, as I said before if the next ES were RWD, with AWD optional and the same size, offered the same comfort and value as the ES always has, 99% of ES buyers and fans would be just as happy, and the majority wouldn't even realize there was a difference. You can't say that in reverse about GS fans and buyers though.

Is the 7th Gen ES better than the 6th Gen with what we know now? Realistically?
I think so. I just don't really care.

You missed what I added before your quote:

Its exactly what we expected, with the same engine we expected, it looks just like we expected, it doesn't include any new features or layout changes that we thought it might (AWD for instance), so really what is there to talk about? It has the DI version of the 3.5 NA V6....just like we thought....its a little bigger...just like we thought...has an F Sport version...which we figured it would...still FWD, no AWD, has a wide screen, which we knew it would. Same ol.
Old 05-03-18, 05:28 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,368 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
A 3.5 V6 TT is perfect for an ES "Active 40:60 torque split etc" AWD too - if such a model could be derived from the RX passive AWD system.

PS.
Of course such an ES FWD-based AWD will be decent, however it will never handle as well as a RWD-based AWD GS, because in the former, the transversely mounted engine in front of the front overhang is too far from the yaw center, resulting in too much polar moment of inertia for sluggish changes in direction.

Furthermore, the ES's cheap single lower link front MacPherson strut suspension cannot keep the front tires near perpendicular to the road surface to maximize grip like the GS with its front double wishbone suspension.
This is like saying every Corvette Owner can Drive and corner the car at 100% of it capability. Its Driver capability. And if you think every GS driver can beat any ES Driver on a Track you are sadly mistaken. Lets be realistic. Capable yes. Diver capability? LOL!
Old 05-03-18, 05:31 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Because quite frankly, enthusiasts don't care about the ES, and the ES isn't in any danger of being discontinued...so no announcement about the new GS would concern anybody about the future of the ES.

The bottom line is, as I said before if the next ES were RWD, with AWD optional and the same size, offered the same comfort and value as the ES always has, 99% of ES buyers and fans would be just as happy, and the majority wouldn't even realize there was a difference. You can't say that in reverse about GS fans and buyers though.

I think so. I just don't really care.

You missed what I added before your quote:

Its exactly what we expected, with the same engine we expected, it looks just like we expected, it doesn't include any new features or layout changes that we thought it might (AWD for instance), so really what is there to talk about? It has the DI version of the 3.5 NA V6....just like we thought....its a little bigger...just like we thought...has an F Sport version...which we figured it would...still FWD, no AWD, has a wide screen, which we knew it would. Same ol.
Look and appears lots of so called enthusiasts are posting here in the 2019 ES Thread? But they don't care? Ummmmmm.

The ES will be popular in Spite!
Old 05-03-18, 05:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And if you think every GS driver can beat any ES Driver on a Track you are sadly mistaken
I actually would take that bet. After a few laps I would go so far as to say a less experience driver in a GS could beat a more experienced driver in an ES on a track. The handling differences between the ES and GS are enormous, track lap times would be considerably different.
Old 05-03-18, 05:40 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

This is like the Porsche Guys posting in about the 2019 Prius Debut, because their Model will "Possibly", Discontinue. The New ES has not been introduced as the GS replacement. Its just the 2019 Lexus ES. Just saying how it looks.

I don't want the GS to go away either. I get what you are saying but I don't think some are listening to what I'm saying to fully understand.

I don't want to get into FWD vs RWD again. At all.
Old 05-03-18, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is like the Porsche Guys posting in about the 2019 Prius Debut, because their Model will "Possibly", Discontinue.
Not really lol. Maybe Porsche 911 guys commenting on the debut of the Macan SUV.

Its an open forum, the mods have tried to steer it back a bunch of times but thats clearly where the forum wants to take it...
Old 05-03-18, 05:58 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I actually would take that bet. After a few laps I would go so far as to say a less experience driver in a GS could beat a more experienced driver in an ES on a track. The handling differences between the ES and GS are enormous, track lap times would be considerably different.
I would too. I've Raced Porsche's and Bikes on Road Atlanta's Track. Being the ES is so Bad, I get to pick my Tires, and you have to stay with Stock.
Old 05-03-18, 06:00 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Not really lol. Maybe Porsche 911 guys commenting on the debut of the Macan SUV.

Its an open forum, the mods have tried to steer it back a bunch of times but thats clearly where the forum wants to take it...
And I can post within the Rules a opposite view also? Correct?
Old 05-03-18, 06:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would too. I've Raced Porsche's and Bikes on Road Atlanta's Track. Being the ES is so Bad, I get to pick my Tires, and you have to stay with Stock.
Its not that its "bad", its just a FWD car with 61/39 weight distribution vs a RWD car with a 54/46 weight distribution. Put both of them into the same corner and accelerate out of that corner and its going to be very clear why your times are going to be much slower in the ES.

And I can post within the Rules a opposite view also? Correct?
I'm not a moderator so don't ask me about rules, but has anybody said you have posted anything you can't post or shouldn't post, or tried to quiet you? Not that I've seen.

You asked why everybody was talking about the GS in this thread and I told you my opinion on why they were...thats all.
Old 05-03-18, 06:09 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Its not that its "bad", its just a FWD car with 61/39 weight distribution vs a RWD car with a 54/46 weight distribution. Put both of them into the same corner and accelerate out of that corner and its going to be very clear why your times are going to be much slower in the ES.

I'm not a moderator so don't ask me about rules, but has anybody said you have posted anything you can't post or shouldn't post, or tried to quiet you? Not that I've seen.

You asked why everybody was talking about the GS in this thread and I told you my opinion on why they were...thats all.
Oh I have had my share of infraction of the Rules unintentionally.

PS: On the GS vs ES Track Bet........ Your designated GS Driver has to be a 16 year Old kid, who just got their Licenses, and has only had 6 hours experience behind the wheel. You didn't name the Driver Rules for the Bet.
Old 05-03-18, 06:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

We’ve also made other requests In private which are being ignored.

Sw17ls, please exit this thread.

Folks this is is an exciting new model which warrants discussion and don’t want to close this thread. If you’ve already said you don’t like it for x y or z reason, there is no need to keep saying the same thing over and over. Too many are bordering on trolling.

I will also ask that the sweeping “‘enthusiasts’ won’t like this car” generalizations cease and I’ll give a personal example why. I’m certainly an enthusiast and yet I really like the new ES. I’ve got a lot of reasons why it might be a good fit for daily reliable transportation... people can own more than one car with different purposes or go back and forth between owning sporty and comfortable cars. Doesn’t make you any less an enthusiast. I can’t park my car inside because the garage is full of racecar and associated stuff; I don’t want an 85k+ new car that has to sit outside but want a new car. The ES might be a good option. And yes it’ll get driven in a sporty manner. You can’t possibly conjecture everyone’s situation to make those sweeping comments.

Personally, I’ll reserve judgement on how it drives or feels because like EVERYONE else in this thread I haven’t driven it or seen it in person. Suggest others consider that when posting please.
Old 05-03-18, 08:37 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

This video shows off the new ES really well and in really high-res if you don't mind the non-English.

I really think they nailed the rear end of this car. Seems very perfectly executed. Not as much of a fan of the rest of the car. The F-Sport stance looks pretty good although a bit strange with the long front overhang. The hood cut/shut line is really awkwardly/poorly implemented, IMO and also clashes with the lines stretching towards it from the sides of the grille. The profile also feels like it could flow a little bit more cleanly/smoothly into the very smooth and sculpted rear of the vehicle. Overall it looks quite nice and also want to emphasize how great the rear looks, IMO.

Old 05-03-18, 10:01 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
This video shows off the new ES really well and in really high-res if you don't mind the non-English.

I really think they nailed the rear end of this car. Seems very perfectly executed. Not as much of a fan of the rest of the car. The F-Sport stance looks pretty good although a bit strange with the long front overhang. The hood cut/shut line is really awkwardly/poorly implemented, IMO and also clashes with the lines stretching towards it from the sides of the grille. The profile also feels like it could flow a little bit more cleanly/smoothly into the very smooth and sculpted rear of the vehicle. Overall it looks quite nice and also want to emphasize how great the rear looks, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfwH0o3B_wA
Good find on this video!

I have asked this question before and I wanna ask it again. Does the 7G Lexus ES have rear LED turn signals? Based on pictures and especially this video now, it looks like the 7G Lexus ES doesn't have rear LED turn signals. The rear turn signal housings don't like LED housings. They look like pre-facelift 14-16 Lexus IS housings.

I know its just a light bulb. But if its the case that the 7G Lexus ES doesn't have LED turn signals, that's disappointing since the Avalon has sequential front/rear LED turns.
Old 05-04-18, 12:53 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

without the spoiler, the rear end looks egh.

I hate when car makers design a plain trunk lid with the intention to charge an extra $500 for a spoiler.

I like when carmakers design the trunk lid with an integrated spoiler contour.
Old 05-04-18, 02:31 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfwH0o3B_wA
My God what's up with that CUV like wheel stance? Front and rear gaps are asymmetric and visible to naked eye as well. And to make things even worse that's F-sport model. Surprising how Toyota cannot figure out comfortable and tight wheel fitment.

Quick Reply: All-new 2019 Lexus ES to debut at Beijing Motorshow