ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

I am in for a 2019

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 02:22 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default I am in for a 2019

I love my 2016 ES300h and looked at the LS500h but was disappointing for a couple of thing I did not like, But think the new ES300h will be much better and half the price of that LS500h
I am going order everything you can get exterior white and F sport maybe

anyone else getting one?

Philip

2016ES300h
2015NX300h
Old 05-13-18, 04:13 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

What was disappointing in the LS500h?
Old 05-13-18, 04:28 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

The transmission shifting and the v6 power delivery
I rather have my CVT and 4 cylinder
The rear seat room was terrible
my feet dragged the door panel getting in and were stuffed under the front seat when getting in the back
when you recline the back seat bottom goes forward pushing you in the back of the front seat
there is just no rear legroom
I don’t understand how the car is longer and there is less rear legroom
and they buried so many controls in the Nav like to adjust the seats the heat cooling now you have to use the nav screen

now it has a lot of good things true like the air ride wow very nice , quite yes until you give it gas
for 100k it should have soft close doors more comfortable seating and yes more rear leg room and the V8 that is in the LC500 I rather have less shifting more and torque

I tried it And I really wanted to like it, but no I changed my mine
I don’t care about it anymore
I will try the 2019 ES300h I bet it has more rear leg room
my 2016ES300h has more rear leg room

Last edited by pgiinc; 05-13-18 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-14-18, 05:03 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by pgiinc
Now there's something I've never seen posted before.
Old 05-14-18, 05:42 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
For me, ride, space, tech, noise, tight feeling of the new LS. Seems to have gone more like a larger GS. The ES has hopes they hung on to smooth, quiet, isolated, refined. newer generation of tech. Excited for the first reviews of the ride!!
Old 05-14-18, 10:56 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Cost 100% more vs the ES but only get 20% more car.

Pulled the stat out of my butt but you get the point.

I am also eyeing the 2019 ES but will wait to see if the 2019 RX will come with Apple Carplay and Lane Tracing Assist.

Last edited by reposado2; 05-14-18 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-14-18, 11:23 AM
myLexus007
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

my feet dragged the door panel getting in and were stuffed under the front seat when getting in the back
when you recline the back seat bottom goes forward pushing you in the back of the front seat
and they buried so many controls in the Nav like to adjust the seats the heat cooling now you have to use the nav screen

now it has a lot of good things true like the air ride wow very nice , quite yes until you give it gas
for 100k it should have soft close doors more comfortable seating and yes more rear leg room and the V8 that is in the LC500 I rather have less shifting more and torque

Your complaints make no sense! All I hear was no leg room, more leg room. Of course the ES is the FWD and the LS is a RWD, therefore a hump.
And how does a CVT 4-Cyclinder better than a 10-Speed V6 Turbo?

If you expect more of the LS500 with the redesign (which a lot of LS fans did) like when Lexus revolutionized the 2007 LS, or you think the ES is more bang for the bucks, then it makes sense.
Old 05-14-18, 12:17 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kellens
For me, ride, space, tech, noise, tight feeling of the new LS. Seems to have gone more like a larger GS. The ES has hopes they hung on to smooth, quiet, isolated, refined. newer generation of tech. Excited for the first reviews of the ride!!
That is probably what Lexus wanted to do given that sedan sales are tanking and there will not be a new generation GS.
Old 05-14-18, 12:58 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

R.I.P. GS. We will miss you!
Old 05-15-18, 08:34 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That is probably what Lexus wanted to do given that sedan sales are tanking and there will not be a new generation GS.
With the way gas prices have been rising sedans may just make a comeback.
Old 05-15-18, 09:24 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Originally Posted by reposado2
With the way gas prices have been rising sedans may just make a comeback.
Very true! Even with low gas prices, I would buy an ES over a NX any day. The ES is about $3000 more but you get more space (especially rear legroom), better gas mileage, more power, better handling, quieter, smoother, more features and better quality interior. The only thing going for the NX (or any SUV for that matter) is the height of the vehicle.
Old 05-16-18, 10:06 AM
mbrogers
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here as I was not impressed with the exterior aesthetics of the new LS at all. The new 2019 ES has 2 inches more legroom than my 2016 ES 350 which has 1.8 inches more legroom than my 2007 ES 350 so the new 2019 ES is definitely a roomy car considering it’s overall size.
Old 05-16-18, 11:07 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Any word when the first reviews of the car will be out? I'm interested to see how the new ES stacks up. The first reviews of the Avalon are very positive!
Old 05-16-18, 11:25 AM
mbrogers
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kellens
Any word when the first reviews of the car will be out? I'm interested to see how the new ES stacks up. The first reviews of the Avalon are very positive!
Actually there are many reviews out and here are the ones I’ve read through:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/t...nspicuousness/

http://autoweek.com/article/luxury/7...w-lexus-es-350

https://www.google.com/amp/www.motor...es-photos/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/www.motor...ok-review/amp/

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...apple-carplay/

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/new...icle-1.3954139

The new 2019 ES 350 7 Things to Know article provides the quickest run down of improvements and differences:

7 things to know about the new Lexus ES 350

1. On the outside

The new ES is 1.8 inches wider, 2.6 inches longer and 0.2 inch lower compared to the outgoing model. A wheelbase stretch of 2 inches has pushed the wheels closer to the car's four corners, giving it a more planted appearance with less generous overhangs.

When it comes to design, the silhouette of the new ES features a more pronounced downward slant, highlighted by the low hood and a "fast" roofline not dominated by a large flat surface, in contrast to generations past. Lexus will offer two grille designs for the new ES: The ES 350 and 300h will feature a grille with vertical bars that expand out from the center, while the ES 350 F Sport will wear a grille with a blacked-out pattern of L-shaped clusters, creating a mesh of sorts.

“The ES has always been an elegant luxury sedan," said project chief designer Yasuo Kajino. "For this generation, we have added daring design elements that challenge the traditional expectations of buyers."
The appearance of the 2019 model is an evolution of the current Lexus design themes, complete with a large "spindle" grille.
2. On the inside

The new cabin places the instrument panel and the infotainment display screen closer together, for a more driver-centric feel (as well as to keep the driver's attention on the road), while the passenger space is designed to promote relaxation during long trips.

"Rear seat passenger comfort has long been a hallmark of the ES, and the seventh-generation model still prioritizes rear package capability despite the sleeker exterior roofline," Lexus says. "A lower hip point and a carefully configured headliner preserve headroom while the longer wheelbase delivers generous legroom."
The redesigned cabin is more driver-centric.
3. The power

All versions of the ES 350 are powered by a 3.5-liter V6 producing 302 hp and 267 lb-ft of torque, gaining 34 hp and 19 lb-ft over the previous-generation V6 unit. A new eight-speed automatic transmission with Direct Shift uses an ultra-thin torque converter, in addition to a multiplate lockup clutch for better-timed and quicker shifts, sending the power to the front wheels. This new eight-speed has a wider spread of ratios and is better able to use the high torque gears for quicker launches, as well as taller gears for greater fuel efficiency on the highway.
All versions of the ES 350 are powered by a 3.5-liter v6 good for 302 hp and 267 lb-ft of torque. The hybrid version is powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder.
4. Chassis

Lexus sought to turn the ES from a sedan serving up solely comfort and a quiet cabin designed to keep the outside world out (as well as slightly numb steering) to something more modern with feel and power to match. The new chassis focuses on responsiveness and delivering steering precision, as well as predictability.

"The starting point was the newly developed GA-K chassis. It’s an exceptionally rigid front-wheel-drive chassis, rivaling the GA-L rear-wheel-drive platform used for the LC coupe and LS sedan in terms of torsional stiffness," Lexus says. "Various grades of high-tensile steel reduce weight versus previous platforms, while additional enhancements like an all-new multilink rear suspension design, rack-mounted electric power steering and a V-brace mounted behind the rear seat gave the engineers the flexibility to tune the ES with a newfound level of precision."
The 2019 model has grown in size inside and out.
5. ES 300h Hybrid

An all-new Atkinson-cycle 2.5-liter four-cylinder paired with a new electric motor and self-charging hybrid system serves up 215 hp and a combined preliminary rating of 44 mpg. This new 2.5-liter is more efficient, and the new electric motor is smaller and more power-dense. Taken together, the engine and the motor have been designed to better emulate the power and feel of a traditional gasoline engine.

"An all-new engine, the 2.5-liter four-cylinder incorporates fast-burn combustion technology that makes it one of the most thermally efficient engines ever offered in a Lexus," the automaker says. "The result is more power without increasing emissions or fuel consumption. Various methods were used to achieve such impressive results, including straight intake ports, increased valve angles and laser-clad valve seats. A variable capacity oil pump, multihole injectors, VVTi-E on the intake valves and a variable cooling system also contribute to the engine’s impressive heat and combustion management."
The 2019 Lexus ES 350 will go on sale in late summer of this year.
6. The ES 350 F Sport

The F Sport version of the ES 350 adds Adaptive Variable Suspension, which features adjustable dampers, as well as a sport-plus mode for the Drive Mode Select system that activates the most aggressive suspension, transmission and engine settings. That different grille design sets the F Sport model apart, in addition to a dark-colored lower valance, rear spoiler and standard 19-inch wheels (the other versions wear 17- and 18-inch wheels) with a design similar to those offered on the LC coupe. The F Sport model will also offer an exclusive exterior color, in addition to the standard palette choices: Ultra Sonic blue Mica 2.0.

"To create an entirely different appearance for the inside of the new F SPORT model, an all-new kind of metallic cabin trim was developed that is unlike anything else Lexus has done before," Lexus says. "Inspired by the making of a traditional Japanese sword, Hadori aluminum trim features fluctuating wave patterns that give it a three-dimensional appearance that varies depending on the viewing angle. The effect is subtle yet indicative of the level of detail and craftsmanship that Kajino’s team put into giving the F Sport a unique place in the lineup. The standard ES 350 and ES 300h will continue to offer traditional materials like Matte Bamboo, Linear Dark Mocha and Linear Espresso wood which give the ES a hand-crafted appearance that luxury buyers expect in this category."
An F Sport version of the ES joins the range for the first time.
7. When and how much

The new ES lineup will go on sale in late August or early September in the U.S. Pricing will be announced closer to the start of sales, though it's worth pointing out that the outgoing ES 350 started around $38,000. Don't expect the new model to depart from this price range much, but it remains to be seen how much of a premium the F Sport model will command.

Last edited by mbrogers; 05-16-18 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-16-18, 11:32 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Very correct. My error completely, I meant more a real road test review, something from Alex on autos for example. Obviously, no replacement for each of us getting in the car and trying for ourselves.

Quick Reply: I am in for a 2019