Special Order a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 07:32 PM
lancecov
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Special Order a good idea?

Hi all,
I currently have a 2019 ES300h reserved at my local Maryland Lexus dealer. It is supposed to arrive from Japan in about a week. The car is missing two options that I would really like: HUD and Panoramic View Monitor. It is also not the exact exterior and interior color combination that I would prefer. The local salesman says he cannot find the car of my dreams anywhere in the US. He did suggest the possibility of special ordering the car. Apparently, I could get exactly what I want If I am willing to wait until Dec for delivery. So my question is: does this seem like a viable alternative to accepting whatever is available now? Should I worry about the government imposing auto tariffs between now and Dec? Being a special order, would I have to pay MSRP? Have any forums members special ordered a car previously (and what was their experience)? Any thoughts or observations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Very excited to see the arrival of some of these cars. Can't wait to see the first owner reviews!
Old 09-04-18, 08:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I would wait. My parents once waited 12 weeks for their new 4Runner. Had to be a certain color. Might as well be a model you really really want.
Old 09-05-18, 05:44 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

I would never special order a vehicle. If it comes in with damage, you own it. If the car doesn't have the options, colors, and features that you want why would you order the car? Wait for additional vehicles to arrive at the dealers and maybe you'll find a car more to your wants. I would never pay MSRP for any vehicle from any manufacturer.

I special ordered a vehicle about 10 years ago and it arrived with a large gouge in the hood. I stupidly accepted the car with repairs. Never again. I want to see exactly what I'm paying for. And the auto tariffs now being threatened won't IMO affect vehicles imported from Japan. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do...
Old 09-05-18, 06:32 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

With one exception I have always special ordered my cars - usually in September for December deliver during the annual sale incentives but with the 2019 being a new model the incentives may not be much. Or the way sedans are selling now maybe they will be this year. There are always a couple of options that I really like (power opening trunk for one) that may not be on the car and something like matte bamboo interior trim. More importantly I can decline on most things I don't want like the several hundred dollars worth of port-installed-options. There will be always be something (rear sun shade) that you may have to get in order to get something else that you do want. Also, if you special order get regular updates from your salesman - sometimes you have to decline the port-installed-options several times but in the end I have always received the car I want. I had to buy an inventory car recently and of course it did not have the power trunk but did have the panoramic roof which I would not have purchased. Note though that I do kind of like the look of the all glass roof although I have never opened it and most likely never will. The price offered is always the same - inventory car or special order - and the small deposit is refundable. I usually save nearly $2K by not paying for things I don't want in addition to the wheel locks etc., heated steering wheel and lately the often included all weather floor mats. As bc6152 says you have to be alert to any shipping damage or whatever and be ready to decline.

Also you have to agree and kind of an unknown price like cost plus something and all then current incentives. And the wait is excruciating until you see just the car you want sitting in your garage.

I have until this year, ordered the luxury option which includes leather and wood vs. piano black interior trim. I now have nuluxe and think I may prefer it over leather. It looks like wood interior trim may be a separate option on the 2019 model. I prices it as a separate purchase through parts and the cost was crazy.

Dave Mac
Old 09-05-18, 07:38 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

How bad do you want the car?

If you special order right now its likely you will be paying very close to MSRP.

Things to consider:

1) ES is a high volume car. If you wait a few months there will be a lot of options/color available.
2) Once the 2018s are cleared out(in 6 months of so depending on area/dealership) it wont be a problem getting around 10% off MSRP on the 19s
3)December to remember event is right around the corner and there will likely be factory incentives on the 19s.
Old 09-05-18, 11:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I would never special order a vehicle. If it comes in with damage, you own it. If the car doesn't have the options, colors, and features that you want why would you order the car? Wait for additional vehicles to arrive at the dealers and maybe you'll find a car more to your wants. I would never pay MSRP for any vehicle from any manufacturer.

I special ordered a vehicle about 10 years ago and it arrived with a large gouge in the hood. I stupidly accepted the car with repairs. Never again. I want to see exactly what I'm paying for. And the auto tariffs now being threatened won't IMO affect vehicles imported from Japan. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do...
You don't have to accept the car that was ordered until you see it.
Old 09-05-18, 01:27 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You don't have to accept the car that was ordered until you see it.
You will have placed a deposit and waited X amount of weeks to see the "special order" car. Not for me, I'll buy one off the lot the way I want it optioned and if they don't have it there, find one somewhere else...
Old 09-07-18, 10:36 PM
Dwight047
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Okay, most of the feedback here is flat out incorrect. I have worked at a Lexus dealer as a salesman for over 3 years and there are a few things I’d like to set straight:
1) you have zero obligation to take a car you have put a deposit on when it arrives. None. Zilch. Zero. No dealer can legally force you to take the car until you drive away with it. Even after you sign the contract you still haven’t bought it until you physically leave the lot with it. Placing a deposit doesn’t mean crap as far as your obligation. The dealer would love for you to think otherwise and they want to know you are serious so that’s why they request a deposit. They cannot keep your deposit if you change your mind.
2) ordering a car now, specifically, is genius. The car arrives in December and you will get whatever incentives apply at the time and Lexus is well known for December being the best time of the year for consumers. You will save thousands on the same car simply waiting for better incentives (rebates, interest rates etc).
3) if the dealer makes you agree to msrp in order to place an order for you, go elsewhere. That’s also a load of crap. Dealers love orders because it’s a sold car without any flooring fees for them. If anything, an ordered unit should be more discounted than one on their lot (obviously they will never admit this).
4) my advice - say you want to place an order with Costco pricing and tell them you will agree to whatever Costco pricing is at the time of delivery (hint: it will be a huge discount).

Hooe this helps!
The following 3 users liked this post by Dwight047:
gnatuw (02-28-21), LexFinally (09-10-21), LexNYC83 (04-25-20)
Old 09-08-18, 10:15 AM
Neezy216
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Dwight047
Okay, most of the feedback here is flat out incorrect. I have worked at a Lexus dealer as a salesman for over 3 years and there are a few things I’d like to set straight:
1) you have zero obligation to take a car you have put a deposit on when it arrives. None. Zilch. Zero. No dealer can legally force you to take the car until you drive away with it. Even after you sign the contract you still haven’t bought it until you physically leave the lot with it. Placing a deposit doesn’t mean crap as far as your obligation. The dealer would love for you to think otherwise and they want to know you are serious so that’s why they request a deposit. They cannot keep your deposit if you change your mind.
2) ordering a car now, specifically, is genius. The car arrives in December and you will get whatever incentives apply at the time and Lexus is well known for December being the best time of the year for consumers. You will save thousands on the same car simply waiting for better incentives (rebates, interest rates etc).
3) if the dealer makes you agree to msrp in order to place an order for you, go elsewhere. That’s also a load of crap. Dealers love orders because it’s a sold car without any flooring fees for them. If anything, an ordered unit should be more discounted than one on their lot (obviously they will never admit this).
4) my advice - say you want to place an order with Costco pricing and tell them you will agree to whatever Costco pricing is at the time of delivery (hint: it will be a huge discount).

Hooe this helps!
Completely agree!

I bought my 2019 Fully loaded ES300h without paying any deposit (my dealer trusted I would buy it). I also did not pay MSRP, even though the dealer stated that was the price.
My dealer applied BOTH the lexus loyalty ($750) and military (another $750) discounts. I also negotiated more money for my trade in. Once again, these things didn't come automatically....I asked and I received
Old 09-08-18, 10:25 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I used the Costco pricing previously and in anticipation of buying a 2019, asked a salesman whether they still honored Costco pricing. He stated that " you can do better not using the Costco plan". Be aware that Costco receives a payment for every car purchased thru the plan by the selling dealer. If you think that the dealer absorbs this charge, think again. Same for TRUCAR...

Additionally, if you place a deposit on a special order vehicle and change your mind when it arrives, you may get your deposit back from the dealer but not without resistance and sometimes not at all... Been there and done that...

Last edited by bc6152; 09-08-18 at 10:32 AM.