ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Possibility of Performance Mods for the new ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-18, 04:41 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6

Lexus would never build what you just described, here is why.

The 2019 ES is larger than the LS500 in regards to total interior volume. The ES is a lot less expensive than the LS. hypothetical let’s say Lexus did build your dream twin turbo ultra ES500. Conusmer would be able to walk into a Lexus Dealer and buy a $40k car with more room to stretch out than the LS and equal power to the LS for under $50k or $25,000 less than the ‘18 LS which already has it battles cut out with some of the best executive luxury cars in the world. The LS500 would now have its own family memeber nipping at its heels while fighting the A8, S560 etc.

My point is, the LS would experience sales cannibalization 10 fold. The LS would loose tremendous sales and pretty much have to be discontinued.

Yes I see you compared the C-class to the ES and they do compete to some extent both are their brands entry level luxury sedans. The reason the C63 was allowed to be created is because it’s has less interior volume than a Honda Civic, and therefore doesn’t really compete with the larger S-class in terms of size. The C63 doesn’t cannibalize sales at all with the larger S-class. The buyers of the S-class wants comfortable floating on cloud 9 ride, large interior and effortless power! The c63 owner wants a tight intimate car with great handling, road communication and ridiculous amounts of power on demand.

The two cars don’t collide therefore they can both exists happily ever after in the same showroom without any friction. C63 buyers won’t have interest in the S-class and S-class potential buyers won’t have any interest in the tiny c63. That’s wouldn’t be the case if Lexus was to build exactly you just described.

P.S. The GS-F nor the GS is going away.
Funny, you just rationalized that an ES with a twin turbo would eat into LS sales. Enough so, to cause its demise. Yet, you continue to argue the point that the new ES will have no impact on the GS.

You can wish and hope all you want, but the GS is not long for this world. Maybe it comes back as an electric, but that would be a completely different animal.
Old 09-07-18, 06:40 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Funny, you just rationalized that an ES with a twin turbo would eat into LS sales. Enough so, to cause its demise. Yet, you continue to argue the point that the new ES will have no impact on the GS.

You can wish and hope all you want, but the GS is not long for this world. Maybe it comes back as an electric, but that would be a completely different animal.

Once again you follow my post with false claims and no receipts to back your claims aginst my post. I’ve never once stated in this digital furum that the 2019 ES wouldn’t impact the sales of the Lexus GS model. My argument has solely been there is a very large group of car enthusiast who actually appreciate a balanced and neutral handling medium sized luxury sport sedan with modern luxury amenities and Toyota reliability. These owners enjoy the feel of driving a european sport sedan, but don’t want to be associated with expensive repairs and maintenance issues. The only attribute the ES has in common with the GS is its Toyota reliability and the obvious chrome L attached to the grille.

The ES is much larger than the GS and has been so for 2 going on 3 generations!

The ES plows into corners like a elephant on rollerblades, while the GS encourages its driver to push into the corner even harder.

The ES shows many signs of cost cutting throughout its cabin, exterior and underbody to keep manufacturing cost low and profit margins high. The 4GS although no Bentley has one of the finest made interiors in its segment and it’s suspension design is superior to it’s competitors from Europe.

The GS models biggest issue is it’s lack of unique and powerful powertrain options to further differentiate it from the entry level ES model.

The GS doesn’t need to grow any larger, it serves it purpose in the Lexus sedan lineup as the sole option for a consumer who enjoys driving spiritedly, and some would say a bit of exclusivity.

The ES serves its own purpose as the brands entry level car that gives consumers a nice taste of luxury for not a lot of money and the illusion of driving a LS while once again keeping development and manufacturing cost to a minimum and profit margins really high.

Yes you will have some cannibalizes of sales with a brand who sales FWD mediums-large cars along side RWD sport sedans.

Several other luxury brands have tried this badge engineering trick over the years and have ultimately decided to cancel the project because it was bad for the brands image and not a good look for the brands perception of true luxury.

Infiniti I35 was a badge engineered Nissan Maxima sold along side the similarly sized Infiniti M and G series. It equaled very high profit margins, but it tarnished the Infiniti brand image as a legitimate luxury car company.

The Cadillac XTS is a gusied up Chevrolet Impala sold as a Cadillac, it too hurts the brand image as a legitimate luxury car maker just trying to fill its pockets. This double edge sword hurts the sales of the brand new CT6 and CTS because it’s nearly as big and bigger than these two models and cost less to buy. The average consumer is looking for the most bang for buck deal. That’s the way many of our brains are wired me included. But Cadillac knows it can’t shake that image of being a illegitimate luxury car maker until it cuts ties with XTS, and that’s why they too have decided to cancel their FWD cash cow.

Hyundai’s new emerging Genesis Luxury brand has already told the press that they have no interest in rebadging the Sonata/Cadenza as a Genesis Luxury sedan.

I truly believe Toyota is too comfortable and greedy to do the same as Infiniti and Cadillac. They are too use to the unlimited cash flow returns they get by throwing some wood veneers and L badges on the Camry and Avalon.

My first really nice car was a Lexus ES300 I actually owned it right it along side my 1992 Camry V6. This is no way a attack on the Lexus ES. It’s a very nice car for the money, but it is in no way shape or form competitive with the European competition.

That’s where the GS serves its purpose and that’s why I bought one instead of another Mercedes E-class or 5 series.

You talk with so much certainty as if you work within bellows of Toyota Motor Corporation. Assuming you do work for them, thanks for spilling the beans on their future product endeavors, but I doubt you work at Toyota and until I hear them say their putting up the white flag against Europe and Korea I’ll stick to my beliefs that Lexus is not giving up on the pursuit of being a legitimate luxury car manufacturer.

Last edited by highrev6; 09-07-18 at 09:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (09-07-18)
Old 09-07-18, 07:16 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Once again you follow my post with false claims and no receipts to back your claims aginst my post. I’ve never once stated in this digital furum that the 2019 ES wouldn’t impact the sales of the Lexus GS model. My argument has solely been there is a very large group of car enthusiast who actually appreciate a balanced and neutral handling medium sized luxury sport sedan with modern luxury amenities and Toyota reliability. These owners enjoy the feel of driving a european sport sedan, but don’t want to be associated with expensive repairs and maintenance issues. The only attribute the ES has in common with the GS is its Toyota reliability and the obvious chrome L attached to the grille.

The ES plows into corners like a elephant on rollerblades, while the GS encourages its driver to push into the corner even harder.

The ES shows many signs of cost cutting throughout its cabin, exterior and underbody to keep manufacturing cost low and profit margins high. The 4GS although no Bentley has one of the finest made and interiors in its segment and it’s suspension design is superior to it’s competitors from Europe.

The GS models biggest issue is it’s lack of unique and powerful powertrain options to further differentiate it from the entry level ES model.

The GS doesn’t need to grow any larger, it serves it purpose in the Lexus sedan lineup as the sole option for a consumer who enjoys driving spiritedly, and some would say a bit of exclusivity.

The ES serves its own purpose as the brands entry level car that gives consumers a nice taste of luxury for not a lot of money and the illusion of driving a LS while once again keeping development and manufacturing cost to a minimum and profit margins really high.

Yes you will have some cannibalizes of sales with a brand who sales FWD mediums-large cars along side RWD sport sedans.

Several other luxury brands have tried this badge engineering trick over the years and have ultimately decided to cancel the project because it was bad for the brands image and not a good look for the brands perception of true luxury.

Infiniti I35 was a badge engineered Nissan Maxima sold along side the similarly sized Infiniti M and G series. It equaled very high profit margins, but it tarnished the Infiniti brand image as a legitimate luxury car company.

The Cadillac XTS is a gusied up Chevrolet Impala sold as a Cadillac, it too hurts the brand image as a legitimate luxury car maker just trying to fill its pockets. This double edge sword hurts the sales of the brand new CT6 and CTS because it’s nearly as big and bigger than these two models and cost less to buy. The average consumer is looking for the most bang for buck deal. That’s the way many of our brains are wired me included. But Cadillac knows it can’t shake that image of being a illegitimate luxury car maker until it cuts ties with XTS, and that’s why they too have decided to cancel their FWD cash cow.

Hyundai’s new emerging Genesis Luxury brand has already told the press that they have no interest in rebadging the Sonata/Cadenza as a Genesis Luxury sedan.

I truly believe Toyota is too comfortable and greedy to do the same as Infiniti and Cadillac. They are too use to the unlimited cash flow returns they get by throwing some wood veneers and L badges on the Camry and Avalon.

My first really nice car was a Lexus ES300 I actually owned right it along side my 1992 Camry V6. This is no way a attack on the Lexus ES. It’s a very nice car for the money, but it is in no way shape or form competitive with the European competition.

That’s where the GS serves its purpose and that’s why I bought one instead of another Mercedes E-class or 5 series.

You talk with so much certainty as if you work within bellows of Toyota Motor Corporation. Assuming you do work for them, thanks for spilling the beans on their future product endeavors, but I doubt you work at Toyota and until I hear them say their putting up the white flag against Europe and Korea I’ll stick to my beliefs that Lexus is not giving up on the pursuit of being a legitimate luxury car manufacturer.
You really should focus your efforts and start a lobbying campaign. Get a bunch of signatures from this large group of enthusiasts you mentioned and send it off Mr. Toyoda. Maybe he'll even offer you a job, since you seem to have such a handle on the auto industry and know what it takes to be successful in it.

I've said in the other thread, I don't want to see the GS go away. I just don't see them putting any effort into supporting it. Numerous reports point to it's demise. That said, we've derailed this thread enough, so I'm out.
Old 09-07-18, 07:28 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
You really should focus your efforts and start a lobbying campaign. Get a bunch of signatures from this large group of enthusiasts you mentioned and send it off Mr. Toyoda. Maybe he'll even offer you a job, since you seem to have such a handle on the auto industry and know what it takes to be successful in it.

I've said in the other thread, I don't want to see the GS go away. I just don't see them putting any effort into supporting it. Numerous reports point to it's demise. That said, we've derailed this thread enough, so I'm out.

I don’t need to start a petition for the GS. I have been in the presence of Mr. Toyoda and I know his taste in automobiles are similar to mine. I have confidence that he will continue to lead the Toyota and Lexus brands in the right direction. By the way I already work in auto industry. In fact I’ve already seen a number of products debuting within the next 6-8 months for Toyota. I won’t go into any real detail, but I work for a closely aligned marketing partner of Toyota and there are some very big surprises coming in 2019.
Old 09-07-18, 04:59 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,349 Likes on 695 Posts

Lexus would never build what you just described, here is why.

The 2019 ES is larger than the LS500 in regards to total interior volume. The ES is a lot less expensive than the LS. hypothetical let’s say Lexus did build your dream twin turbo ultra ES500. Conusmer would be able to walk into a Lexus Dealer and buy a $40k car with more room to stretch out than the LS and equal power to the LS for under $50k or $25,000 less than the ‘18 LS which already has it battles cut out with some of the best executive luxury cars in the world. The LS500 would now have its own family memeber nipping at its heels while fighting the A8, S560 etc.

My point is, the LS would experience sales cannibalization 10 fold. The LS would loose tremendous sales and pretty much have to be discontinued.

Yes I see you compared the C-class to the ES and they do compete to some extent both are their brands entry level luxury sedans. The reason the C63 was allowed to be created is because it’s has less interior volume than a Honda Civic, and therefore doesn’t really compete with the larger S-class in terms of size. The C63 doesn’t cannibalize sales at all with the larger S-class. The buyers of the S-class wants comfortable floating on cloud 9 ride, large interior and effortless power! The c63 owner wants a tight intimate car with great handling, road communication and ridiculous amounts of power on demand.

The two cars don’t collide therefore they can both exists happily ever after in the same showroom without any friction. C63 buyers won’t have interest in the S-class and S-class potential buyers won’t have any interest in the tiny c63. That’s wouldn’t be the case if Lexus was to build exactly you just described.

P.S. The GS-F nor the GS is going away.
I get your point, but you've taken mine far too seriously. It was the romanticized longing of a sport sedan lover... not something I thought would actually happen, especially with a $40k price tag.

How sweet would it be though?
$40k base ES
$50k F Sport or UL
$60k TTV6 with AWD
Old 12-06-18, 05:36 PM
nycxchunk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ES shows many signs of cost cutting throughout its cabin, exterior and underbody to keep manufacturing cost low and profit margins high. The 4GS although no Bentley has one of the finest made interiors in its segment and it’s suspension design is superior to it’s competitors from Europe.

My first really nice car was a Lexus ES300 I actually owned it right it along side my 1992 Camry V6. This is no way a attack on the Lexus ES. It’s a very nice car for the money, but it is in no way shape or form competitive with the European competition.

lol as a guy who owns both right now, I can confidently say the new ES f sport is a completely different car than it’s previous generations. I love my GS don’t get me wrong...but the ES definitely has replaced the GS in terms of being sporty and preformed quite well on the track around corners. Lexus messed up when they decided not to rebrand the new ES into something entirely different because now you have people who are getting into this car expecting the old school ES when it’s really not. Btw the 2019 GS is the final model and has been confirmed by multiple Lexus representatives. Just my two cents.
Old 12-06-18, 05:40 PM
kaytoven
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I 100% agree with you.
Old 12-06-18, 06:06 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

To the OP, how about these alterations:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-show-car.html
Old 12-06-18, 06:25 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nycxchunk

lol as a guy who owns both right now, I can confidently say the new ES f sport is a completely different car than it’s previous generations. I love my GS don’t get me wrong...but the ES definitely has replaced the GS in terms of being sporty and preformed quite well on the track around corners. Lexus messed up when they decided not to rebrand the new ES into something entirely different because now you have people who are getting into this car expecting the old school ES when it’s really not. Btw the 2019 GS is the final model and has been confirmed by multiple Lexus representatives. Just my two cents.

I appreciate your comments, but please back up your claims with some receipts aka links? I haven’t seen any press releases or any quotes from Toyota executives stating what your posting.

Last edited by highrev6; 12-07-18 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-07-18, 06:14 AM
Chinachip
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=nycxchunk;10377431]

lol as a guy who owns both right now, I can confidently say the new ES f sport is a completely different car than it’s previous generations. I love my GS don’t get me wrong...but the ES definitely has replaced the GS in terms of being sporty and performed quite well on the track around corners. Lexus messed up when they decided not to rebrand the new ES into something entirely different because now you have people who are getting into this car expecting the old school ES when it’s really not. Btw the 2019 GS is the final model and has been confirmed by multiple Lexus representatives. Just my two cents.
[/QUOTE

I concur with this statement. He is correct.
Old 12-07-18, 06:18 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

There is nothing you can do to this car that will gain any significant HP, unless you supercharge it.

Exhaust, intake, is all negligible hp gains, just noise to make it sound faster.
Old 12-07-18, 11:21 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
There is nothing you can do to this car that will gain any significant HP, unless you supercharge it.

Exhaust, intake, is all negligible hp gains, just noise to make it sound faster.

Don't the ES and GS now only differ by a few HP? 302 for the ES vs 311 for the GS.
Old 12-07-18, 07:50 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,349 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Don't the ES and GS now only differ by a few HP? 302 for the ES vs 311 for the GS.
Correct. But, the RWD of the GS makes it much faster to 60 mph. "Spinnin aint winnin!" :P
The following users liked this post:
highrev6 (12-07-18)
Old 01-19-19, 09:49 PM
OIIIIIO13
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Papaw Lexus 2015 UL, Loved the car, I put high performance tires and strut brace on it since I wanted more stick to the road. Now when the sporty F Sport came out it was more of the car I wanted over the UL. I think Lexus made two versions of the 19 and up ES for a reason, "Sporty" for younger or people who enjoy driving, and squishy for people who enjoy relaxing. Making aftermarket exhaust or custom bits will not take away from your zone out squishy time, it will give people who want a more of RC F sport feel and a real pronounced exhaust note "not Fake" sound. Henry Ford "you can have any color you want as long as it's black" didn't serve the industry well then just like you can only get squishy sedans does today. I know you can say I should have got a GS, but I looked at them, and meh, not worth the extra money for me, I am just an Executive Sedan guy I guess.
Old 01-21-19, 03:38 PM
bviverette
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To each his own

Originally Posted by SuperMido
Sadly..Was hoping the ES stays away from anything Sport related. But hey, as long as the regular ES350 keeps its current tradition and improves on it. I'm happy!
Oh, my. And here I am, appreciating that I can get a high-quality luxury car that actually is fun to drive in more than just a straight line. My bad, I guess.

Quick Reply: Possibility of Performance Mods for the new ES