ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019 Lexus ES 300h - Rear speaker problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-19, 03:48 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Barryabko
I suggest that you or anyone else who owns or is interested in the 2019 ES with the Mark Levinson system go to HDTracks and download the $4.98
Audiogon Wake Up Your Ears sampler in FLAC 192kHz/24bit, Link: https://www.hdtracks.com/audiogon-pr...sampler-134226
Put those files on a USB stick, adjust the system as I've described and play it at 52 to 57 on the volume control. Please let me know what you think. I believe you will be very impressed.

Suggested tracks: St. Louis Blues, Stank, Dancing Flute and Drum, Mozart Ave Verum and You Haven't Done Nothin'.
Very cool! I just downloaded the sampler and went for a quick drive. Very clean recordings and a bit on the wild side.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-19, 04:53 PM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi David, I'm glad you did that and enjoyed the result. These tracks have been recorded and mastered very well by audio professionals that place high value on faithfully capturing the sound and space of instruments and voices as well as the environment in which their recorded. The recordings are very clean and transparent throughout the entire range that allows you to listen deep into the mix. Using these types of recordings can be a valuable tool to illuminate the positive as well as the negative attributes of an audio system.

Last edited by Barryabko; 08-29-19 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 07:23 AM
terryakhan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Barryabko,
Yes, that Audiogon Wake Up Your Ears sampler in FLAC 192kHz/24bit is one of my favourite listening collection on my 2 channel home stereo system, Music is a pleasure that I take seriously being a High End 2 channel Audiophile.
Take listen of the track 5 "Stank'' in your ES, places me in another world.
These USB sticks fits perfectly. My ES accepts up to 32 GB
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MPCJDXS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MPCJDXS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This ML is a true high power audio playback without any hint of clipping and extremely low low distortion, or I can say noise free.
Car accepts WAV and Flac files as far as I can tell, and perhaps the upcoming model will do DSD also, when that Time comes, I hoping Lexus may allow firmware upgrades, similar to PS Audio.
Truly fantastic sounding ML hi power, we are so lucky.
And above the thing works.

Last edited by terryakhan; 09-02-19 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-02-19, 06:41 PM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by terryakhan
Hello Barryabko,
Yes, that Audiogon Wake Up Your Ears sampler in FLAC 192kHz/24bit is one of my favourite listening collection on my 2 channel home stereo system, Music is a pleasure that I take seriously being a High End 2 channel Audiophile.
Take listen of the track 5 "Stank'' in your ES, places me in another world.
These USB sticks fits perfectly. My ES accepts up to 32 GB
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This ML is a true high power audio playback without any hint of clipping and extremely low low distortion, or I can say noise free.
Car accepts WAV and Flac files as far as I can tell, and perhaps the upcoming model will do DSD also, when that Time comes, I hoping Lexus may allow firmware upgrades, similar to PS Audio.
Truly fantastic sounding ML hi power, we are so lucky.
And above the thing works.
Hi Terry,
I'm glad you've already known about that sampler and enjoy it. Yes, Stank is particularly outstanding. I'm a drummer and percussionist and Lenny White has been one of my favorites since Romantic Warrior by Return to Forever.

The Mark Levinson system in my 2019 ES 350 is very clean and transparent, is truly full range, and seems to have rather good dynamic headroom but it is quite revealing of the source and the quality of the recording. Lesser recordings from lesser formats don't reach this sonic level and the system will show the sonic flaws and limitations in those recordings. The Audiogon sampler really shows what the ML system can do with an excellent recording played from a top level format - USB FLAC 192kHz/24bit.

Last edited by Barryabko; 09-02-19 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-03-19, 06:15 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

To my ears, the best adjustments I've found so far are: Treble -2, Mids -1, Bass 0, Fader -3 towards the rear,
My preferences are: Treble -1, Mids 0, Bass 0, Fader -1 towards the rear,

Sound Leveler set to Off...
I leave it on. The manual says it "adjusts to the optimum volume and tone quality according to vehicle speed to compensate for increased vehicle noise." I like that it adjusts the volume for road noise. I don't know what they mean by adjusting the "tone quality," but I haven't noticed anything unpleasant.

...and Surround set to Off.
Agreed!

I suggest that you or anyone else who owns or is interested in the 2019 ES with the Mark Levinson system go to HDTracks and download the $4.98
Audiogon Wake Up Your Ears sampler in FLAC 192kHz/24bit, Link: https://www.hdtracks.com/audiogon-pr...sampler-134226
Put those files on a USB stick, adjust the system as I've described and play it at 52 to 57 on the volume control. Please let me know what you think. I believe you will be very impressed.
These tracks are now some of the best sounding audio tracks in my collection. I have some great sounding CDs with music I prefer, but none of them sound more clear and detailed than these HDtracks. And for $5, you can't go wrong. I recommend that people buy this download if nothing else to (1) hear what your ML system is really capable of, and (2) to show off your ML system for your friends.

I noticed that the folder is 2.5 GB. That's about 10 times the size of one of my typical CDs converted to FLAC. I'm not complaining, just making an observation.

Suggested tracks: St. Louis Blues, Stank, Dancing Flute and Drum, Mozart Ave Verum and You Haven't Done Nothin'.
I agree. Great selections!

Here are some of my favorite CDs with great music and very high quality sound.

John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman
The Legendary Bobby Darin
Flim & the BBs - Vintage BBs
Vinx - Rooms in My Fatha's House
Mozart - Eine Kliene Nachtmusik - Telarc - Sir Charles Mackerras, Prague Chamber Orchestra
Beethoven's 9th - Deutsche Grammophon - Herbert Von Karajan, Berliner Phillarmoniker
Old 09-25-19, 03:31 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by SciGuy
The personal attack highlighted in red is irrelevant.
My goal is to help raise awareness for an audio problem, and attenuate posts that may undermine it.
I will say that I do believe you are undermining the issue unintentionally because you are unaware or misunderstanding... and NOT because you are being malicious; however, you definitely are trying very hard to seek out a problem with the car owners rather than the car itself.

Let me clarify the part of your post highlighted in blue:

The 3.5" speaker in the back is plenty loud when the fader is set completely to the rear of the car, and volume raised to near maximum.
This indicates that the 3.5" speaker in the back is capable of producing adequate sound/volume, and this is not a limitation due to the size/diaphragm of the speaker.
This also provides evidence that the issue is indeed related to power distribution/software issues and something that Lexus can hopefully fix.

You are attempting to paint a picture where the members in this thread are seeking extremely loud volumes. The reality is that they are seeking out normal volume for the rear passengers, and for the cabin as a whole. Not 5% to 10% volume from the back which is clearly observed when the fader is slowly adjusted back and forth.

I hope this clears up why "car audio competitions" , "audiophile" , "speaker size" , "tacky owners wanting loud volume" etc. as you suggested are not applicable in this thread.
So... did you ever share a link to that video?
Old 09-26-19, 03:12 AM
horsey
Driver School Candidate

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Sci-Guy

Wow! Someone went way back to resurrect the dead horse. I totally agree with your original post and many thousands of others do too. The Lexus Enthusiast forum has 33,000 views of this issue and no one over there is defending this as a "luxury" car sound system.
Old 09-26-19, 08:24 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

A childhood friend came to visit me from out of town. While he was looking at the Lexus I told him about the circus on here and he just couldn't resist.
Old 10-20-19, 11:34 AM
HVaughan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear Speaker Problem Solved

I purchased a 2019 ES 350 in May, and like many here have had problems with my rear speakers. I have the standard sound system.
The rear speakers emitted little or no sound. The fader made little difference.
Recently, I took it in to the dealer for the 5,000 mile service. Based on the many complaints on this forum, I expected a pushback. Instead the dealer said they were "ordering a part"
The part came in, and it was installed in the car. The difference was stark. I am now getting sound from the rear speakers. Admittedly, the rear sound is not as loud as the front, but the fader is able to balance it out, with increased volume. I am very satisfied with the result, but I am not an audiofile.
The verbiage on the service order is: " Radio speakers are not working. SOP. Radio Ampilfier Malfunction. Replaced Radio Amplifier." The radio part number was 86280-06232, Amplifier Assy, $ ". Is the SOP a known problem and fix?
Hope this helps the controversy.
The following 2 users liked this post by HVaughan:
clqw (10-22-19), DavidZ (10-21-19)
Old 10-22-19, 08:56 AM
clqw
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HVaughan
I purchased a 2019 ES 350 in May, and like many here have had problems with my rear speakers. I have the standard sound system.
The rear speakers emitted little or no sound. The fader made little difference.
Recently, I took it in to the dealer for the 5,000 mile service. Based on the many complaints on this forum, I expected a pushback. Instead the dealer said they were "ordering a part"
The part came in, and it was installed in the car. The difference was stark. I am now getting sound from the rear speakers. Admittedly, the rear sound is not as loud as the front, but the fader is able to balance it out, with increased volume. I am very satisfied with the result, but I am not an audiofile.
The verbiage on the service order is: " Radio speakers are not working. SOP. Radio Ampilfier Malfunction. Replaced Radio Amplifier." The radio part number was 86280-06232, Amplifier Assy, $ ". Is the SOP a known problem and fix?
Hope this helps the controversy.
Thank you for the update! Can you please find out if it has a TSB number?
Old 11-26-19, 10:58 PM
DDupuis
Driver School Candidate

Angry Lexus ES 300h 2019 - problème de son avant-arrière

Bonjour,
J'ai possede dans les dernieres annees une ES350-2015 et une 2017, donc j'en suis à ma troisieme Lexus en achetant voile 2 mois la ES300h -2019.

Les avantages de l'hybride ainsi que les autres fonctions automatisees du véhicule 2019 me rendent très heureux...mais, la qualite du son est inadmissible...

Je constate egalement, comme beaucoup, l'impossibilite d'equilibrer le son avant-arriere, obtenant soit le son uniquement a l'arriere ou presque totalement a l'avant, en tentant un reglage de l'equilibre du son.vers l'avant.

Cette situation est inadmissible, et selon ce que je constate en lisant ici et sur d'autres forums, ce probleme est generalise. Lexus ne peut répondre de façon innocente que la conception est prevue comme cela.....c'est clairement un vice de conception. En offrant une fonction d'equilibrage du son avant/arriere au systeme audio, cette fonction DOIT fonctionner.... Les modeles 2015 et 2017 offrait un equilibrage du son qui fonctionnait parfaitement.... ce n'est plus le cas.

Ma prochaine demarche sera de demander un correctif a Lexus Canada. Si je reçois une reponse negative, je devrai envisager une demarche judiciaire, qui pourrait prendre la voie d'un recours collectif....

Esperons que Lexus collabore à trouver une solution.

Last edited by DDupuis; 11-26-19 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-26-19, 11:08 PM
DDupuis
Driver School Candidate

samething for me....
Old 11-27-19, 01:07 AM
2019ES350
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Terry,

I'm glad you are finding ways to increase your enjoyment of the ML system. My experience is that when the system is left at the factory settings the sound is aggressive, there is far too much energy (volume) coming from the front and the system overall lacks sufficient dimension or size. To my ears, the best adjustments I've found so far are: Treble -2, Mids -1, Bass 0, Fader -3 towards the rear, Sound Leveler set to Off and Surround set to Off. The system is also very revealing of the source material. Tidal is good but when I play well recorded FLAC files with my preferred settings the system sounds quite exceptional and exhibits many of the sonic qualities normally associated with "High End Audiophile" systems.

I can't thank you enough for this post. That sampler collection is outstanding, and you have opened my eyes to FLAC, which I didn't know about before reading your post.

Just for fun, I searched for some free FLAC classical music downloads on the internet and found several, including outstanding recordings of the Bach Goldberg Variations. Here's a link to them in case you're a classical music lover and would like to hear them. To listen in your car, follow Barryabko's instructions, downloading them to a flash drive.

The sound in my 2019 ES 350 UItra Luxury with the Mark Levinson sound system is spectacular. Way better than I expected even after reading the hype.

Old 11-27-19, 01:11 AM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2019ES350
I can't thank you enough for this post. That sampler collection is outstanding, and you have opened my eyes to FLAC, which I didn't know about before reading your post.

Just for fun, I searched for some free FLAC classical music downloads on the internet and found several, including outstanding recordings of the Bach Goldberg Variations. Here's a link to them in case you're a classical music lover and would like to hear them. To listen in your car, follow Barryabko's instructions, downloading them to a flash drive.

The sound in my 2019 ES 350 UItra Luxury with the Mark Levinson sound system is spectacular. Way better than I expected even after reading the hype.

You are very welcome! Thanks for for the additional links.

Upon much more listening I have lowered the Treble level to -3 or even sometimes -4 depending on the recording.
Old 12-27-19, 04:12 PM
Surreytop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been lucky enough to take delivery (in last few days) of an ES300h fsport and when I first started up the car noticed there was a bias to the front of the car with the speakers, and yes I do have the Mark Levinson system. However, I adjusted the system to bias about two thirds to the back of the car and the sound system is rather marvelous. So I suspect that if yours is still not sounding good, even by moving the position back a bit, then there may be a software error. Also, when I first started to use the car, had a USB stick with a large amount of mp3's and wma tunes and seem to recall that some were having problems reading anything but mp3's. So when I couldn't get the system to read the files I started to imagine the nightmare of having to convert many gigabytes of wma files to mp3. Then I managed to find the online manual which stated that only USB 2.0 is supported. So invested in one of the minature USB sticks (about 1 cm long so will fit in the front USB port and still have the lid closed) that was USB 2.0 and copied over 40 Gb of music from my USB 3,0 stick in various formats and hey presto, they all played (well I am still trying to learn the system but I got my daughter to have a look and she figured it out so quickly - it's my age). So again, if you are having problems accessing music on a USB stick, try changing to USB 2.0 and if that does not work, again suspect a software problem. So far, haven't found much wrong with the new car, especially as I am comparing it with Mercedes E Class cars of which I am now a former owner. As a hybrid that recharges itself, there really isn't a better car on the market and pleased to see that Lexus is putting that quality front and centre in their new advertising campaign in UK.

Quick Reply: 2019 Lexus ES 300h - Rear speaker problem