ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

One week with my ES 300H

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-18, 04:34 AM
wmogolov
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default One week with my ES 300H

I have now driven my new 2019 ES 300H for one week. This is my first hybrid and my fourth new ES that I've owned through the years. My reasons for changing to a hybrid may not have been 100% logical. However, IMO not all decisions in life have to be logical. I was intrigued with the idea of using less gas and filling up less and going longer in-between fill ups. However, from a financial point of view, to recover the increased cost of the hybrid over a normal ES, it would take me quite a long time...maybe even beyond the time that I may keep the car to recover that amount in gas savings.

The car itself is amazing. Mine is a Luxury level with the navigation and Mark Levinson audio. When I first picked up the car and was given a "going over" with the dealer's tech person, I was a little overwhelmed. However, a week later, I now feel comfortable with nearly every feature on the car. I've read a lot and watched a lot of videos. All in all, its not hard to figure a lot of these things out. You just need to be patient and learn by doing.

The ride on the ES300h is very smooth and extremely comfortable. The luxury aspect is also very apparent. Everything is well thought out. All in all...a great car!

Now to a few negative aspects. The interior cabin is very quiet. Most of the time, that is. Hidden in the manual, there is one or two references to noises you will hear which are specific to a hybrid. When the car is in reverse, you will hear a whining sound. It has something to do with the fact that the reverse gears are somehow different than the drive (D) gears. The sound is not overwhelming but is there. If you are considering an ES 300H, make sure you test drive it so you can hear the sound. Certainly not a deal breaker for me. Just think of the sound as money being saved.

Speaking of saving money, over the past week, I’ve driven my normal amount of driving (maybe a bit more) and the gas gauge (filled up a week ago) still registers above the 3/4 mark and shows that I have over 400 miles left on this fill up. Very impressive!

This car is a true pleasure to drive. I have no regrets whatsoever.

Last edited by wmogolov; 10-27-18 at 04:40 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by wmogolov:
DaveGS4 (10-10-18), reposado2 (10-10-18), TechNut (10-10-18)
Old 10-10-18, 05:35 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Well looks like you're off to a good start. Good Luck and keep us informed about the car...
The following users liked this post:
wmogolov (10-10-18)
Old 10-10-18, 06:44 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I have been driving a Hybrid (2015 ES 300h) for 4 years now and am very happy with it. Yes, it cost more than the ES 350 and yes, I know that the money saved in using less fuel may not pay back that higher purchase price, but frankly, I don't care.

I don't understand the obsession with payback of the added purchase price when there is so much less talk about paying back the added price of diesels. To me, the hybrid drivetrain is just another engine option, just as the V6 option on a Camry is just one of the engine options.

To me, this engine option has given me a car that uses less fuel; it has given me a car with less emissions, a car that is a lot cleaner (especially compared to a diesel); it has given me a car that can turn off the engine when stopped, greatly reducing emissions; it has given me a car that can crawl along in traffic on only the electric motor, again greatly reducing emissions (particularly satisfying when crawling next to big diesel trucks during my commute); it has given me a car that is able to capture otherwise-wasted energy to recharge the battery; it has given me a car that will cost less to maintain, because there is less wear and tear on the engine and the brakes from being used less.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sulu:
amphiprion (10-14-18), wmogolov (10-10-18)
Old 10-10-18, 09:44 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I have been driving a Hybrid (2015 ES 300h)there is less wear and tear on the engine and the brakes from being used less.
Actually there is more wear and tear on the hybrid engine because it is constantly starting and stopping due to the hybrid design. Most wear happens at start ups. This is verifiable by a used oil analysis on hybrid engines. I have a hybrid Acura and all my UOA's come back with elevated iron levels. Its just what hybrid does to the gas engine.

Old 10-10-18, 10:41 AM
wmogolov
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well stated Sulu. Thank you!
Old 10-10-18, 12:00 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kingofire
Actually there is more wear and tear on the hybrid engine because it is constantly starting and stopping due to the hybrid design. Most wear happens at start ups. This is verifiable by a used oil analysis on hybrid engines. I have a hybrid Acura and all my UOA's come back with elevated iron levels. Its just what hybrid does to the gas engine.
Yes, most engine wear will occur during a cold start but there should be very little wear during (warm) restarts, with the warm oil circulating. Once warmed up with oil circulating, an engine shutdown and subsequent restart should not produce any more wear than an engine that is a idling.

In fact, I have not seen anything that would suggest that Toyota and Lexus hybrids have greater than normal engine wear, only that engine wear will be less.

Toyota hybrid engines will not shut down (and have to restart) until they have reached operating temperature, for the purpose of preventing this type of wear.

Last edited by Sulu; 10-11-18 at 06:45 AM. Reason: added more information
Old 10-10-18, 12:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I have been driving a Hybrid (2015 ES 300h) for 4 years now and am very happy with it. Yes, it cost more than the ES 350 and yes, I know that the money saved in using less fuel may not pay back that higher purchase price, but frankly, I don't care.

I don't understand the obsession with payback of the added purchase price when there is so much less talk about paying back the added price of diesels. To me, the hybrid drivetrain is just another engine option, just as the V6 option on a Camry is just one of the engine options.
Because you are paying a premium for using less fuel, yet you get less horsepower, fun factor performance.
Old 10-10-18, 05:33 PM
biglexfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wmogolov

The ride on the ES300h is very smooth and extremely comfortable. The luxury aspect is also very apparent. Everything is well thought out. All in all...a great car!
Can I ask what is the size of the rim on your car? 17" or 18"?
Old 10-10-18, 07:16 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

I completely agree with you Sulu. I might add they are a little quieter while running off battery. We like ours and have had two Toyota and two Lexus hybrids. The differences are worth it to my wife and I, even if the simple economics don’t work unless you drive a lot of miles. I would still pay extra because we like them better than their gas-only equivelant. That is why they make different drivetrains - to appeal to different customers.
Old 10-10-18, 11:12 PM
jz14
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No offense to those who prefer the hybrid but after reading this thread, I'm now convinced I'll get the non-hybrid version.
Old 10-11-18, 04:44 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

My wife and I are both on our second Lexus hybrid. She has the RX and I have the ES. We always buy a model about two years old. On the used market both 2017's were about $1,500 more than the gas models. Gas at $2.70, the break even point at 12,000 miles a year is two years. We both have said we would never own anything now but a hybrid or electric if and when Lexus comes out with one. Got back yesterday from a 350 mile trip and got 42.5 mpg with the ES with about 95% highway. We usually drive them about 100,000 miles. In that time never have replaced a battery or brake pad.
Old 10-11-18, 06:42 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Because you are paying a premium for using less fuel, yet you get less horsepower, fun factor performance.
As I said, I look at the hybrid powertrain as another engine option that gives me what I want. Some people get the optional engine for the extra power; I have no need for the extra power and find that the Hybrid is powerful enough for my needs. And the smooth, quiet, immediate acceleration provided by the torque of the electric motor is quite exhilarating and quite enough for me.

I know that you do not like hybrids. I do. To each their own.
Old 10-11-18, 01:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

As I said, I look at the hybrid powertrain as another engine option that gives me what I want. Some people get the optional engine for the extra power; I have no need for the extra power and find that the Hybrid is powerful enough for my needs. And the smooth, quiet, immediate acceleration provided by the torque of the electric motor is quite exhilarating and quite enough for me.

I know that you do not like hybrids. I do. To each their own.
All fine, however you had asked why people are focused on the payback. My response was about the payback. A person buying a hybrid ES is paying extra money for better fuel economy, however they are getting a de-tuned 2.5 liter (203 hp Camry vs 176 hp ESh) which leads to less straight line vehicle fun factor performance. Lexus is also conveniently not offering the Prius Prime Plug-in option would even further the range of the Lexus ESh for downtown city dwellers like myself. Furthermore, with the new ESh, you are not getting the Lithium-ion batteries that are in the base Camry hybrid or the regular Prius and Prius Prime models.

So, I don't want to put a damper on the person who bought the new Lexus hybrid, congrats to them.
Old 10-11-18, 01:46 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

There is something gratifying about driving a hybrid, not having the engine running unnecessarily. not having a bunch of hot metal parts thrashing around spewing combustion byproducts into the air for no reason while stopped. i love it. I drive a CT Hybrid.
The following users liked this post:
LS500Fan (01-28-22)
Old 10-11-18, 01:58 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have to agree that I really enjoy the 268 HP juice when I put my foot down and accelerate quickly and smoothly... Anxious to drive the 303 HP 2019... Wish it was 345 like my Corvette...

Quick Reply: One week with my ES 300H