ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Things to consider when looking to buy an ES 300h

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18, 12:48 PM
billm555
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Things to consider when looking to buy an ES 300h

If you are thinking of buying an ES 300h, here are a few thoughts that you might want to consider.

A little background,…..I’ve owned three ES 350’s over the last 12 years and just purchased my first hybrid, a 2019 ES 300h. When I owned the ES 350’s, I paid little attention to “strategic driving” in order to maximize my mpg. I never really thought about saving money on gas by watching how I drove. When I felt like stepping on the accelerator for a cheap thrill, I did it. My stopping and going was without thought. I drove my car…put gas in it…and started driving again. Although, for the most part, I observed the speed laws in my state. I gave it little thought when I found myself going over the speed limit. In other words, I cared less about how I drove and whether I was wasting gas. The only time I cared was when I was at the gas station filling up. And although I could certainly afford the gas, I was upset at the gas prices and the fact that I was filling up every week.

Three weeks ago, I picked up my ES 300h which was filled up with gas. I drive to my office every day (I own my own company), run lots of errands, and engage in pleasure driving at night and on the weekends. At this moment, three weeks into owning this car, I still have almost a fourth of a tank of gas left. I believe I’ll go about 4 weeks between fill ups. And to me, that’s one of the thrills of owning this car.

However, I’ve also noticed some other unexpected changes in my driving that I’d like to convey. First, Im definitely driving with a strategy in mind. I use the Auto Glide Control a lot….coasting at certain points along a route. Just as the name implies, the car has a very cool gliding effect. Hard to explain but definitely a cool feature. Secondly, I find myself driving slower and keeping the car in ECO mode as much as possible. It may be hard to understand for someone who’s never driven this car… but driving it slower is so relaxing and fun. I also find that I’m much easier on the brakes which helps with recharging the battery more effectively. And lastly, being aware of when your are driving with the electric motor vs the gas motor, it allows you to have more control over your mpg results. So, all in all, I’ve radically changed how I drive…mainly because I’m driving a hybrid.

So, you might ask, is it worth it? Is it a nuisance? The immediate answers…YES and NO. Although it may sound like a pain in the a— for some of you, to me its great fun to drive. Quiet, extremely smooth, full of power if you need it, and great on gas.

But, not everyone is like me and some of you may not like it as I do. Keep these things in mind if you are considering a 300h. Certainly make sure you test drive one more than once.

Old 10-25-18, 05:25 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by billm555
If you are thinking of buying an ES 300h, here are a few thoughts that you might want to consider.

A little background,…..I’ve owned three ES 350’s over the last 12 years and just purchased my first hybrid, a 2019 ES 300h. When I owned the ES 350’s, I paid little attention to “strategic driving” in order to maximize my mpg. I never really thought about saving money on gas by watching how I drove. When I felt like stepping on the accelerator for a cheap thrill, I did it. My stopping and going was without thought. I drove my car…put gas in it…and started driving again. Although, for the most part, I observed the speed laws in my state. I gave it little thought when I found myself going over the speed limit. In other words, I cared less about how I drove and whether I was wasting gas. The only time I cared was when I was at the gas station filling up. And although I could certainly afford the gas, I was upset at the gas prices and the fact that I was filling up every week.

Three weeks ago, I picked up my ES 300h which was filled up with gas. I drive to my office every day (I own my own company), run lots of errands, and engage in pleasure driving at night and on the weekends. At this moment, three weeks into owning this car, I still have almost a fourth of a tank of gas left. I believe I’ll go about 4 weeks between fill ups. And to me, that’s one of the thrills of owning this car.

However, I’ve also noticed some other unexpected changes in my driving that I’d like to convey. First, Im definitely driving with a strategy in mind. I use the Auto Glide Control a lot….coasting at certain points along a route. Just as the name implies, the car has a very cool gliding effect. Hard to explain but definitely a cool feature. Secondly, I find myself driving slower and keeping the car in ECO mode as much as possible. It may be hard to understand for someone who’s never driven this car… but driving it slower is so relaxing and fun. I also find that I’m much easier on the brakes which helps with recharging the battery more effectively. And lastly, being aware of when your are driving with the electric motor vs the gas motor, it allows you to have more control over your mpg results. So, all in all, I’ve radically changed how I drive…mainly because I’m driving a hybrid.

So, you might ask, is it worth it? Is it a nuisance? The immediate answers…YES and NO. Although it may sound like a pain in the a— for some of you, to me its great fun to drive. Quiet, extremely smooth, full of power if you need it, and great on gas.

But, not everyone is like me and some of you may not like it as I do. Keep these things in mind if you are considering a 300h. Certainly make sure you test drive one more than once.
well said I agree
Old 10-25-18, 07:26 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I've basically found the same with our Highlander Hybrid. It does change how you drive, what you pay attention to, and it makes a little bit of a game out of it. I quite enjoy it.

We also really enjoy the smoothness of the hybrid drivetrain and the quietness of gliding through traffic on electric only.

These are the things people don't always understand when they only focus on the mileage benefit and how quickly a hybrid may or may not pay for itself.
The following users liked this post:
TechNut (10-25-18)
Old 10-25-18, 09:01 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by billm555
First, Im definitely driving with a strategy in mind. I use the Auto Glide Control a lot….coasting at certain points along a route. Just as the name implies, the car has a very cool gliding effect. Hard to explain but definitely a cool feature. Secondly, I find myself driving slower and keeping the car in ECO mode as much as possible. It may be hard to understand for someone who’s never driven this car… but driving it slower is so relaxing and fun. I also find that I’m much easier on the brakes which helps with recharging the battery more effectively. And lastly, being aware of when your are driving with the electric motor vs the gas motor, it allows you to have more control over your mpg results. So, all in all, I’ve radically changed how I drive…mainly because I’m driving a hybrid..
I do the same with my hybrid. Most drivers are lead footed and impatient and dislike going behind a Prius for that reason.
Old 10-25-18, 10:53 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Most drivers are also, to put it politely, rather inefficient. It makes no sense to overtake and zoom towards a red light - better to coast and charge the battery. You can get better mpg on the ES300h by changing the energy display to the tach in custom settings and keeping acceleration between 2000-2500 rpm.
You don't have to be a barely moving boulder to get good mpg on this car. On the 2019 car, 50 mpg should be easily achievable on urban commutes.
Old 10-26-18, 05:49 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Most drivers are also, to put it politely, rather inefficient. It makes no sense to overtake and zoom towards a red light - better to coast and charge the battery. You can get better mpg on the ES300h by changing the energy display to the tach in custom settings and keeping acceleration between 2000-2500 rpm.
Just had someone with a Prius do this to me this morning. I was behind him approaching an intersection. He wanted to continue straight, and the light was red for him, so he was coasting up to it at a snails pace. Meanwhile, I wanted to make a left turn, and there was a left turn arrow that was green for me, but I couldn't get to the left turn lane to take advantage of it because of his gas saving antics. By the time I got there, my left turn arrow was out, and I had to stop for traffic coming the other way. So he not only cost me time, but also cost the planet, since stopping and then accelerating my 3.5L V6 no doubt burned a lot more fuel than he saved by "being efficient" and trying to charge his battery.

Old 10-26-18, 07:50 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Just had someone with a Prius do this to me this morning. I was behind him approaching an intersection. He wanted to continue straight, and the light was red for him, so he was coasting up to it at a snails pace. Meanwhile, I wanted to make a left turn, and there was a left turn arrow that was green for me, but I couldn't get to the left turn lane to take advantage of it because of his gas saving antics. By the time I got there, my left turn arrow was out, and I had to stop for traffic coming the other way. So he not only cost me time, but also cost the planet, since stopping and then accelerating my 3.5L V6 no doubt burned a lot more fuel than he saved by "being efficient" and trying to charge his battery.
Prius drivers are another species 😁 I would never hold up traffic like that. Then again, I usually get cut off when changing lanes by drivers zooming to a red light - as if they can't wait to get on the Formula One starting grid.
Old 10-26-18, 05:43 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Prius drivers are another species 😁 I would never hold up traffic like that. Then again, I usually get cut off when changing lanes by drivers zooming to a red light - as if they can't wait to get on the Formula One starting grid.
Hey, if I had a feeling you would have hurt it. We had two Priuses before the ES and they don’t have to be driven that way. The problem is drivers that aren’t courteous and they are everywhere - not just behind the wheel of a Prius. As a Prius driver it always made me mad when I saw that behavior because it was so unnecessary and resulted in all Prius owners getting painted with the same scorn.
Old 10-26-18, 07:20 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TechNut
Hey, if I had a feeling you would have hurt it. We had two Priuses before the ES and they don’t have to be driven that way. The problem is drivers that aren’t courteous and they are everywhere - not just behind the wheel of a Prius. As a Prius driver it always made me mad when I saw that behavior because it was so unnecessary and resulted in all Prius owners getting painted with the same scorn.
Apologies, no offense intended. It's not good to stereotype drivers based on cars - I've met plenty of courteous hybrid drivers and surprisingly plenty of courteous BMW drivers too. I get edgy around Land Cruisers and big Ford pickups though, I've had plenty of them tailgate me on mountain roads where there's no place to pass safely. I also drive pickups and I would never tailgate a lower, smaller car because pickups look so darn intimidating when they're close to your rear bumper.

Coming back to the new ES, it should be easy to get 40 mpg in city traffic without making other drivers erupt into road rage. You have to look both ahead at traffic lights and behind at faster traffic. If you're acting like a boulder, then you need to speed up. On a speed-restricted road, I've seen 60 mpg at 50 mph with cruise control on the old ES300h. If you see clear road ahead with no traffic behind, using cruise control can increase mpg by a lot with less effort than pulse and glide.

Pulse and glide should work better on the new ES300h. The Coast Mode feature makes the car glide like in neutral, without regen charging, so you can go further on the same acceleration pulse. Accelerate at 2000 rpm on engine power to reach slightly above target speed, let go of the throttle and coast until you reach a threshold speed, then accelerate and begin the cycle again. Just don't be a moving chicane when doing this!

Last edited by chromedome; 10-26-18 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Missing paragraphs
Old 10-27-18, 07:29 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

No offense taken chromedome. I just had to give you a bad time. Besides, I agree with you as to those misbehaving hybrid drivers, and there do seem to be a fair number of them driving Priuses.

Anyway, I agree with your thoughts on the new ES. I think 40 MPG should be pretty easy to achieve in warmer weather. I have also noticed that you can squeeze a little more mileage with cruise control but traffic is so crazy in our normal driving area that we can rarely use cruise.