ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Wallet key

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 05:07 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 191 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Wallet key

Is there a wallet key available for 7ES? For some reason it was not on 6ES.

Last edited by NdYAG; 10-31-18 at 11:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
alexglee (11-13-18)
Old 11-13-18, 04:43 PM
alexglee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Is there a wallet key available for 7ES? For some reason it was not on 6ES.

+1 curious about this too.
Old 11-17-18, 11:11 PM
alexglee
Driver School Candidate

+1 following
Old 11-18-18, 06:10 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

I believe that, when Lexus started to incorporate keyless ignition/push button start on its cars, it eliminated the wallet key. The thinking was that the removable mechanical key that stores in the fob should make the wallet key unnecessary.
Old 11-18-18, 07:15 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Wallet key IS the keyless ignition. It is essentially a remote fob without the buttons - it allows to open/close doors by touching the handle and to start the engine. The mechanical key inside is just a backup - just like in the remore fob. AFAIK it was available on all recent lexuses except 6ES. It was even available on CT so the price of the car does not seem to be an issue. You can get it even on a Toyota Prius so its absence on 6ES is a mystery.
Old 11-18-18, 08:46 AM
alexglee
Driver School Candidate

Wallet key IS the keyless ignition. It is essentially a remote fob without the buttons - it allows to open/close doors by touching the handle and to start the engine. The mechanical key inside is just a backup - just like in the remore fob. AFAIK it was available on all recent lexuses except 6ES. It was even available on CT so the price of the car does not seem to be an issue. You can get it even on a Toyota Prius so its absence on 6ES is a mystery.

I still have mine from the CT. Do you know if they can be reprogrammed?
Old 11-18-18, 09:23 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Originally Posted by alexglee
I still have mine from the CT. Do you know if they can be reprogrammed?
The simple answer is no. Toyota/Lexus keys can only be programmed once. Also the keys are very specific between different models and years. I tried to program same year NX key to my 6ES and it would not work. I was willing to give Lexus $400 for essentially a ~$10-cost-to-make part and they would not take it.
Old 11-18-18, 11:07 AM
CashGap
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

The simple answer is no. Toyota/Lexus keys can only be programmed once. Also the keys are very specific between different models and years. I tried to program same year NX key to my 6ES and it would not work. I was willing to give Lexus $400 for essentially a ~$10-cost-to-make part and they would not take it.
Odd. People buy used keys on eBay for top dollar, I wonder what they do with them if they could not be reprogrammed.

I am sure the model specificity is basically “generations” of key systems. Example, some Siennas use keyfobs with the same FCC ID and part number as Tundras of a given year range, etc.
Old 11-18-18, 08:06 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Originally Posted by CashGap
Odd. People buy used keys on eBay for top dollar, I wonder what they do with them if they could not be reprogrammed.
Well, there is a way to program a used key to a car but it involves getting some security access codes from Lexus and then completely resetting the car proximity computer. Any Lexus dealer will refuse to do this procedure for any less than buying a brand new key, and Lexus will not give these codes to any DIYer or independent shop. There may be some hacking adapter that connect to the OBD port but using them is risky as you can easily brick your car. Read this thread for more info:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...key-fob-3.html

I do not know what people do with used keys from eBay. My guess most buy them by mistake. Also some sellers sell "unlocked" used keys - whatever this means.

Originally Posted by CashGap
I am sure the model specificity is basically “generations” of key systems. Example, some Siennas use keyfobs with the same FCC ID and part number as Tundras of a given year range, etc.
I do not think it is just generations of the system - there are many more part numbers and FCC IDs for that. Even wallet keys for hybrid and non-hybrid NX of the same year are different part numbers.

And besides - since there is no official wallet card for ES - what FCC ID are you going to match?

I had the same thoughts as you in the beginning and got myself a wallet key for hybrid NX of the same year as my hybrid ES and it did not work. I had to resell it at a loss but at least it was still programmable. Calling Lexus and talking to the dealership was useless as those people are clueless about the issue.
Old 11-19-18, 07:39 AM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, there is a way to program a used key to a car but it involves getting some security access codes from Lexus and then completely resetting the car proximity computer. Any Lexus dealer will refuse to do this procedure for any less than buying a brand new key, and Lexus will not give these codes to any DIYer or independent shop. There may be some hacking adapter that connect to the OBD port but using them is risky as you can easily brick your car. Read this thread for more info:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...key-fob-3.html

I do not know what people do with used keys from eBay. My guess most buy them by mistake. Also some sellers sell "unlocked" used keys - whatever this means.
Unlocking (aka virginizing) a Lexus smart key returns the key to a "new" state, allowing the key to be programmed using the add key function just like a new key instead of requiring an immobilizer reset. This is a service we provide to customers through mail order quite often. https://www.ezcarkeys.com/Smart-Prox...rtKeyReset.htm

I have no idea if the wallet keys can be unlocked/virginized in the same manner. But if someone wants to send me one to try, Just pay the shipping.
The following users liked this post:
NdYAG (03-18-19)