ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Lexus rear speaker issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-19, 10:07 PM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I listened to the Mark Levinson system for about twenty minutes and the Premium system for about the same amount of time. I did not drive the car while listening so I could concentrate on the sound and experiment with the settings.The car was stationary on the dealer's lot with the engine running, all the windows and the sunroof closed and the AC fan at minimum.
Old 08-12-19, 10:12 PM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

I did three separate on the road test drives comparing the stock 17" wheels on the Premium trim, 18" noise reducing wheels on the Ultra Premium and the 19" wheels on the F Sport.

I chose the Ultra Premium with the 18" noise reducing wheels.

I'm picking it up from the dealer tomorrow afternoon!
The following users liked this post:
energy88 (08-14-19)
Old 08-13-19, 10:50 PM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

Today I picked up my new 2019 ES 350 Ultra Luxury with the Navigation / Mark Levinson system. Wow - what a beautiful vehicle!

I just took a drive and experimented with more audio settings. At the moment, I've set Treble -2, Mids -1, Bass 0, Fader -3 (3 steps to the rear). I was only listening to various stations on Sirius XM. Even though I don't normally listen to the "Pitbull" channel, I must say, I heard some impressive low end coming from the system when I had the volume set from 40 - 44 depending on the song. Other channels sounded good as well and the difference in recordings was apparent. Some recordings sounded quite good and others not as much. It's a positive attribute that the system lets you hear the variations in recording quality.

I found as I backed off the Treble and Mids I could play the system at higher volume levels before things would get too harsh or edgy. This allowed the bass to be more prominent overall which I thought put things in better balance. I do believe that an audio system needs to be played for fifty or more hours at higher volumes before it "breaks in" and I'm hoping some of the forwardness I'm hearing will be greatly reduced when that happens. Things are sounding pretty good now, though.

Last edited by Barryabko; 08-14-19 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-14-19, 04:55 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Barryabko
Today I picked up my new 2019 ES 350 Ultra Luxury with the Navigation / Mark Levinson system. Wow - what a beautiful vehicle!

I just took a drive and experimented with more audio settings. At the moment, I've set Treble -2, Mids -1, Bass 0, Fader -3 (3 steps to the rear). I was only listening to various stations on Serius XM. Even though I don't normally listen to the "Pitbull" channel, I must say, I heard some impressive low end coming from the system when I had the volume set from 40 - 44 depending on the song. Other channels sounded good as well and the difference in recordings was apparent. Some recordings sounded quite good and others not as much. It's a positive attribute that the system lets you hear the variations in recording quality.

I found as I backed off the Treble and Mids I could play the system at higher volume levels before things would get too harsh or edgy. This allowed the bass to be more prominent overall which I thought put things in better balance. I do believe that an audio system needs to be played for fifty or more hours at higher volumes before they "break in" and I'm hoping some of the forwardness I'm hearing will be greatly reduced when that happens. Things are sounding pretty good now, though.
Nice! What color Ext & Int?

What were you driving before?

I find myself listening to Symphony Hall (76), Real Jazz (67) and Watercolors (66) a lot. This is my first car in 15 years and I never had Sirius XM in my car before.

Do you prefer Surround Sound On or Off? Why or why not?
Old 08-14-19, 06:25 AM
FTBoomer
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I have the Pioneer system and have found that I tick my fader 1-Back and 1-Right for a better balance. I also use Apple Carplay and running Tidal the system sounds very nice, especially with some of the Master recordings and who can complain about these FLAC streaming rates: HiFi: 44.1khz/16bit (1411kbps) Master: 96khz/24bit (4608kbps)
Old 08-14-19, 08:35 AM
energy88
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did three separate on the road test drives comparing the stock 17" wheels on the Premium trim, 18" noise reducing wheels on the Ultra Premium and the 19" wheels on the F Sport.

I chose the Ultra Premium with the 18" noise reducing wheels.

I'm picking it up from the dealer tomorrow afternoon!
I wish Lexus would make it easier to get the exact options I prefer. Those 18" noise reducing wheels are IMHO their best looking. From a practical standpoint, I feel that 18" is better than 19". However, I don't believe Lexus puts the 18"s on the F-Sport. And as for the F-Sport, you can only get black or red/black interior in 2019. I hope they come out with a better range of choices in 2020 to put together a car more to one's liking.

Seems that between stereos and wheels, Lexus makes you "settle." Why can't Lexus be more flexible with choices like Chevy is with the coming new 2020 Corvette?
Old 08-14-19, 09:15 AM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Nice! What color Ext & Int?

What were you driving before? I find myself listening to Symphony Hall (76), Real Jazz (67) and Watercolors (66) a lot. This is my first car in 15 years and I never had Sirius XM in my car before. Do you prefer Surround Sound On or Off? Why or why not?
This is a second car for me that will be driven much less than my 2015 Honda Odyssey. The Honda will still be my main vehicle.

So far, the Surround mode has been on. When I'm next experimenting with the ML sound system I'll try it both ways.

It's Atomic Silver Exterior and Black interior. It looks quite phenomenal!
Old 08-14-19, 09:24 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

This is a second car for me that will be driven much less than my 2015 Honda Odyssey. The Honda will still be my main vehicle.
I have a hunch you might change your mind about that in couple of weeks...
Old 08-14-19, 09:26 AM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by energy88
I wish Lexus would make it easier to get the exact options I prefer. Those 18" noise reducing wheels are IMHO their best looking. From a practical standpoint, I feel that 18" is better than 19". However, I don't believe Lexus puts the 18"s on the F-Sport. And as for the F-Sport, you can only get black or red/black interior in 2019. I hope they come out with a better range of choices in 2020 to put together a car more to one's liking.

Seems that between stereos and wheels, Lexus makes you "settle." Why can't Lexus be more flexible with choices like Chevy is with the coming new 2020 Corvette?
It seems that most manufactures just provide "packages" of trim and options to their dealers that they either think most people will purchase or have found they will purchase as the model has been on the market. It must be much more economical for them to do that than custom build a specific combination for each person.

I think the style/trend is for larger rather than smaller tires even though I believe smaller tires tend to offer a somewhat smoother and quieter ride due to the increased amount of sidewall. I really liked the ride with the 17" wheels but was still quite pleased with the 18" noise reduction wheels. I strongly wanted wood trim and the most quiet ride possible. The F Sport was (of course) very nice but lack of wood trim and the artificially amplified engine sound was the opposite of what I was looking for. Each person has their own tastes and set of priorities.

Last edited by Barryabko; 08-14-19 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-14-19, 12:38 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

So far, the Surround mode has been on. When I'm next experimenting with the ML sound system I'll try it both ways.

It's Atomic Silver Exterior and Black interior. It looks quite phenomenal!
Atomic silver is a great choice. I almost bought that one in the FSport but once the dealer set that and the Ultra white side by side, I couldn't resist the white. Black interior always for me as well.
Old 08-17-19, 08:53 PM
patnic517
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Members on that site then asked me to evaluate the stock Premium sound system:

I stopped by a Lexus dealer today for the sole purpose of evaluating the stock "Premium" sound system in the 2019 ES 350 and to see how well I could make it perform. Let me start by saying that in my humble opinion, the Premium system is definitely NOT a bad sounding car audio system. After adjusting the settings as best as possible I found the audio quality to have a number of rather positive sonic attributes although the system's design has limitations and several idiosyncrasies that can be challenging.

Settings: The best sound was achieved by adjusting the Treble -2, Mids -1 and Bass +1. On some recordings I could set the Treble to -1 but on other recordings there was too much treble so I settled on -2 overall. The Mids might have been a little better at -1.5 but you can only change by whole steps so -1 was the best compromise. The bass also might have been better at +1.5 (+2 seemed to be too much for most recordings) so +1 was the best compromise. The fader made the system sound best when set to three clicks towards the rear. When the fader is set to the center position there is far too much volume coming from the front compliment of speakers. It makes the system sound "aggressive" and restricts the ability of the system to exhibit adequate spatial (or surround) qualities. The further toward the rear you set the fader the more the spatial qualities of the system become evident. The problem is however, that every click towards the rear restricts the overall volume capability of the system to a greater degree. I found the best compromise to be -3 (three clicks toward the rear). This setting "opened up" the spatial qualities significantly and still provided adequate overall volume levels. Even so, the maximum volume level these settings provided did keep the system on the more "polite" side and I would think that the peak volume when set this way might not get loud enough for some listeners. Four or more clicks to the rear just seemed like there was too much volume restriction overall. It's possible that if I lived with system for a while the final settings might be slightly different.

Tonal Quality: With the above settings (Treble -2, Mids -1, Bass +1, Fader 3 clicks toward the rear) the system sounded fairly good to my ears. The mids and highs are not that "transparent" and can sound somewhat harsh, edgy and aggressive depending on the recording. Bass was okay. The system is not outstanding but I think it's pretty adequate.

The ten speaker positions seem to be:
Dash: Right, Left and Center = three
Front Doors: Low and high in each door = four
Rear Doors: High in each door = two
Subwoofer in the rear package shelf.

The complaints about the fader are probably because people are used to hearing the mids and highs coming from the rear package shelf when fading toward the rear. The ES 350 rear mid/high speakers are instead placed in the upper forward part of the rear doors and the majority of their sound is blocked by the front seats when you're the driver or front passenger. It's possible that the high in the door positioning of the rear speakers is better for the rear passengers although I didn't sit in the back seat to check that. Additionally, the volume restrictions that occur when fading toward the rear can make using the fader frustrating for many listeners - especially if they are expecting it work similarly to other car stereo systems they've had in the past. Even with the above settings, the center image seemed to be optimized for the driver rather than for the front passenger as the image was primarily centered in front of the driver position as opposed to being somewhat more diffuse and in the center of the dash. I verified this by switching seats to the passenger side. I suspect there may some intentional manipulation of the phase aspects of the audio between the front center dash speaker and front driver's side dash speaker to provide this effect. It's also possible that the center dash speaker and driver's side dash speaker are angled somewhat inward toward each other so that their output converges at the driver's head position causing such a tight image.

All of the comments above are my opinion but I have extensive experience with high performance car audio having had many elaborate custom systems in my vehicles since the mid 1970s (Nakamichi, Rockford/Fosgate, A/D/S, Infinity, Alpine, Pioneer and many other top brands). Please let me know your thoughts and whether or not you agree with any of my findings.
Wow - that was really nice of you to do this. I think I need to go back and take a listen. I had a Tahoe a few years ago and the sound was amazing, replaced with a Toyota Sienna which has a HORRIBLE sound system. I can't believe I'm about to buy a Lexus and it's sound system is "pretty adequate." I remember listening it during my test drive and the dealer was like "doesn't it sound great?" And of course, it was better than my Sienna, but I remember not being blown away. Ugh, can't take another crappy system. I enjoy music too much. Thanks for your review.
Old 08-24-19, 07:24 PM
terryakhan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

''The ten speaker positions seem to be:
Dash: Right, Left and Center = three
Front Doors: Low and high in each door = four
Rear Doors: High in each door = two
Subwoofer in the rear package shelf.''

Does the subwoofer have a separate volume control and if it does, how do I find it.
Old 08-25-19, 08:13 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

No, the subwoofer does not have a separate volume or level control. All you can do is adjust the bass on the tone control.
Old 08-25-19, 08:59 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Here's a link to the Mark Levinson website that goes into more technical detail about the system's design: https://www.marklevinson.com/in-lexus.html#lexus-es
Unless I'm missing something, this web page appears to contradict itself in 2 places.

At the top, it says that the ES ML audio system has 1800 watts and 17 speakers.

Apparent contradiction #1 - The car graphic below says that there's a 835-watt amplifier beneath the driver's seat. Where's the other 965 watts?

Apparent contradiction #2 - The car graphic below shows 10 speakers. Where are the other 7 speakers?
Old 08-25-19, 09:24 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Unless I'm missing something, this web page appears to contradict itself in 2 places.

At the top, it says that the ES ML audio system has 1800 watts and 17 speakers.

Apparent contradiction #1 - The car graphic below says that there's a 835-watt amplifier beneath the driver's seat. Where's the other 965 watts?

Apparent contradiction #2 - The car graphic below shows 10 speakers. Where are the other 7 speakers?
I assume the amp listed is a typo, as the GS has an 835 watt amp. The speakers are mainly coaxial, so they count as 2 per for all but the 3 woofers.

Quick Reply: Lexus rear speaker issue