Lexus rear speaker issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-19, 06:39 AM
energy88
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Barryabko
Hi Mike728, DavidZ and ES63,

It's possible you are all correct but some people who have the stock "Premium" system have commented that when they fade to the rear there is no sound coming from the subwoofer which would seem to indicate that my theory might be correct. The only way to know for sure is for someone to actually test it and let us know. Someone, anyone, Beuller?
Now that we have started to make some progress by Post #60, is there anybody with the Mark Levinson system who could do the same test and report those results?
Old 09-01-19, 02:58 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by energy88
Now that we have started to make some progress by Post #60, is there anybody with the Mark Levinson system who could do the same test and report those results?
I checked my ML system, the sub stays at normal volume no matter if it's faded front or rear. I didn't test side to side.
The following users liked this post:
energy88 (09-01-19)
Old 09-01-19, 03:56 PM
energy88
Rookie

Originally Posted by 95bat
I checked my ML system, the sub stays at normal volume no matter if it's faded front or rear. I didn't test side to side.
Thank you for your contribution to the science of sound!
Old 09-01-19, 05:42 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Based on my knowledge of audio and acoustics, here's how it SHOULD work. The subwoofer volume should go up and down with the master volume setting. The fader does not change the total volume up or down, it just moves the sound from front to back and vice versa. The fader should not change the subwoofer volume because the fader does not change the total volume.

I think all of the observations in this thread are consistent with those principles. Any other result, wouldn't make sense to me.
Old 09-01-19, 08:10 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Based on my knowledge of audio and acoustics, here's how it SHOULD work. The subwoofer volume should go up and down with the master volume setting. The fader does not change the total volume up or down, it just moves the sound from front to back and vice versa. The fader should not change the subwoofer volume because the fader does not change the total volume.

I think all of the observations in this thread are consistent with those principles. Any other result, wouldn't make sense to me.
Agreed.

I'm wondering if the loss of bass reported is simply because the front door speakers aren't playing, not because the sub is playing any quieter.
Old 09-01-19, 08:36 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

I wonder if Lexus worked with ML to come up with the overall system including the speaker placements and then asked Pioneer to come up with a system for the base model that utilized those speaker lcoations. That might explain why the ML sound is so tight and the Pioneer sound is not.
energy88 (09-02-19)
Old 09-02-19, 06:57 PM
Barryabko
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I also check the ML system in my 2019 ES 350 and subwoofer's volumes goes up and down along with the front speakers when the fader is set to full front and it also goes up and down along with the rear speaker when the fader is set to full rear. The overall volume level of the subwoofer seems to be the same for both fader settings.
energy88 (09-03-19)
Old 09-04-19, 09:57 AM
horsey
Driver School Candidate

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is my analysis of what is wrong with the Pioneer system. The consensus of everyone who has listened to the system agrees that they either only hear or mainly hear sound that seems to be coming from the front center windshield. Some people think Lexus designed it this way because they think people only want to hear sound coming from the front like a concert. I am not a sound designer but I am an accountant, and if that is what Lexus actually thinks, then they put seven too many speakers in the car. If we could unplug, turn down or "fade" only the front center speaker, maybe we could hear the other 9 speakers and that would have the "effect' of surround or stereo sound. That's my idea of what a fader should do--balance the sound coming from all the speakers to what the listener likes.

How are faders made? Would it be hard for Lexus to change it?
Old 09-05-19, 04:13 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by horsey
Here is my analysis of what is wrong with the Pioneer system. The consensus of everyone who has listened to the system agrees that they either only hear or mainly hear sound that seems to be coming from the front center windshield. Some people think Lexus designed it this way because they think people only want to hear sound coming from the front like a concert. I am not a sound designer but I am an accountant, and if that is what Lexus actually thinks, then they put seven too many speakers in the car. If we could unplug, turn down or "fade" only the front center speaker, maybe we could hear the other 9 speakers and that would have the "effect' of surround or stereo sound. That's my idea of what a fader should do--balance the sound coming from all the speakers to what the listener likes.

How are faders made? Would it be hard for Lexus to change it?
I explained that to you in another post, but you completely ignored it. It's like you ignore everything that doesn't comply with what you've come online to complain about... interesting...
kalel2127 (09-05-19)
Old 09-06-19, 02:18 AM
horsey
Driver School Candidate

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Batman: All you and your sidekick, Spinach, do is try to defend Lexus by implying that us oldsters don't like new sound systems. Lexus screwed this up. No one was complaining about the prior generation stock radios. Why can't Lexus just make the fader work like the prior models and every other car maker? Let the user balance the sound. It's not better and most of us know it.

I would rather hear from some experts about how Lexus could fix this system. Apparently they need help.
energy88 (09-06-19)
Old 09-06-19, 06:41 AM
energy88
Rookie

Lexus screwed this up. No one was complaining about the prior generation stock radios. Why can't Lexus just make the fader work like the prior models and every other car maker? Let the user balance the sound. It's not better and most of us know it.
That's why there is a class action law suit against Lexus over this issue. Lexus has had ample time to clear up this issue or start putting satisfactory radios in the ES. And it is not just a few complainers. Every automotive forum out there has this complaint listed in the comment sections with warnings by unsatisfied customers to not buy this car.

I'm going to be in the market for a new car in the next 75 days and just might select another brand unless Lexus addresses the problem ASAP. Lexus seems to be stonewalling the issue and I'm not about to give my money to a manufacturer with a FU attitude.
horsey (09-06-19)
Old 09-06-19, 11:32 AM
Truly55
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi all. Truly 55 here from the UK. I picked up my Takumi spec today after a 6 month wait. The Takumi is your EL version but more stuff like folding mirrors, rear seat HVAC / audio controller, etc. Obviously we have the ML audio and it’s awesome with strong sound from the rear speakers even when the fader is set to the middle. Surround is set to on and there is brilliant sound around. Definitely not just a front stage set up. My UK car was built middle of July.
UKEE (09-06-19)
Old 09-06-19, 04:16 PM
95bat
Racer

Batman: All you and your sidekick, Spinach, do is try to defend Lexus by implying that us oldsters don't like new sound systems. Lexus screwed this up. No one was complaining about the prior generation stock radios. Why can't Lexus just make the fader work like the prior models and every other car maker? Let the user balance the sound. It's not better and most of us know it.

I would rather hear from some experts about how Lexus could fix this system. Apparently they need help.
Awesome reply, really shows how well you've matured with age.

That's why there is a class action law suit against Lexus over this issue. Lexus has had ample time to clear up this issue or start putting satisfactory radios in the ES. And it is not just a few complainers. Every automotive forum out there has this complaint listed in the comment sections with warnings by unsatisfied customers to not buy this car.

I'm going to be in the market for a new car in the next 75 days and just might select another brand unless Lexus addresses the problem ASAP. Lexus seems to be stonewalling the issue and I'm not about to give my money to a manufacturer with a FU attitude.
That would be the right course of action--don't buy the car.
kalel2127 (09-06-19)
Old 09-06-19, 08:18 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

To be clear, I have no problem with my standard radio. For me, it is completely “satisfactory” so that definition depends a great deal on expectations as well as what is being used for comparison. I’m sure there are better systems, as well as worse systems. If you have listened to it and are not satisfied, then I think looking elsewhere is probably the best choice for you. It seems unlikely that it will be changed and certainly not in the next 75 days.

To my ears, the stereo in this car seems very comparable to the stereo in past Lexus vehicles I have owned, so I believe this is likely just a trait of their stereo tuning. I haven't spent any time comparing with the fader in my 2016 as I didn't perceive a problem - so I just didn't have a reason to compare them. I will have to test that next time I drive our NX.

Now I should also point out that we don't spend any extra money on the upgraded stereos like Mark Levinson. It just isn't important to us as we are "satisfied" with the standard stereo system. At least 95% of the time it is just my wife and myself in the car so we also aren't very focused on the rear seat sound. We usually turn the volume down when we have rear seat passengers so we can visit anyway.

Last edited by TechNut; 09-06-19 at 08:31 PM.
energy88 (09-07-19)
Old 09-07-19, 02:06 AM
Truly55
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember when I sat in a UK demonstrator car on the 1 March (new registration day) that the ML did sound front biased and there was some, albeit little, sound coming from the rear. I made a conscious decision to specifically check the rear speakers. That car would have been built back end of 2018.

My car was confirmed built early July 2019 and there is good sound coming from the rear even with the fader set to middle. I do wonder if anything has been changed or improved at the factories end? For reference I’m playing Apple Music from my iOS device in the car. I haven’t tried CDs in the car or specifically listened to DAB radio to see if it’s the same story with ample sound from the rear. I’ll do that today.

Truly55

Quick Reply: Lexus rear speaker issue