ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

More thoughts about the Mark Levinson audio system

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 11:31 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
The issue with highly compressed material on the ML, is the fact that each speaker is filtered/tuned to only play a specific frequency range. With XM, some of the speakers have nothing in their range but noise. I suppose they could have them turn off in cases like that, but then people would be complaining of no audio coming out of some speakers. Bottom line, if you want to play highly compressed audio, on any audio system, save your money just buy mainstream.
I tested XM on both the standard Pioneer system and the ML system and it was MUCH better on the ML system. The Pioneer system was static-y and overall didn't sound good for XM radio. Noticably worse than the JBL system on my current 2011 Camry. The ML system was actually a little better than my current JBL system which I enjoy.

The Clari-Fi technology developed by Harman (the owner of ML) really does make a difference. http://www.clarifisound.com

Is it CD quality or even high bit rate MP3? No, but it still sounds very good.
Old 11-29-18, 04:43 AM
jshap4321
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD4DR

I just got an XTS rental and the Bose is trash compared to the ML not sure what your smoking. I worked in premium high end audio and we alyways had a saying for Bose “all highs and no lows”. The caddy did not impress me whatsoever.
I was referring to the Bose 16 speaker system in the CTS luxury. Upgraded stereo should be compared to upgraded stereo. ML is crystal clear quality but that’s meaningless when the sound is so flimsy and unbalanced. It lacks fullness.
Old 11-29-18, 07:59 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by jshap4321
ML is crystal clear quality but that’s meaningless when the sound is so flimsy and unbalanced. It lacks fullness.
I'm not sure what you mean by "flimsy and unbalanced". If you're referring to the lack of full range sound coming from behind you, you would be expecting something that most music is not mastered to reproduce. The only music that is, would be something like 5.1 mixes on SACD or DVD-A. These are rare and no SACD and only a few DVD-A's even play on the ML.

How do you listen to music in your house? I have a very good surround sound setup in my basement, with sonically balanced speakers all around. When I play 2ch music, I play it in stereo, as intended. I don't have it matrixed to play on all speakers. If you listen to stereo music out of your surround speakers at home and enjoy it, you probably should have passed on the ML. While not the best system you can buy, it does a great job of recreating the source as it was intended.
Old 11-29-18, 11:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD4DR

I just got an XTS rental and the Bose is trash compared to the ML not sure what your smoking. I worked in premium high end audio and we alyways had a saying for Bose “all highs and no lows”. The caddy did not impress me whatsoever.
I always thought BOSE was "Buy Other Stereo Equipment".

One of these days I'll have to swing by my local Lexus dealer and check out the new ES. I really like ML in my GS, so you guys have me curious about just how different it is in the new ES.
Old 11-29-18, 01:56 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

One of these days I'll have to swing by my local Lexus dealer and check out the new ES. I really like ML in my GS, so you guys have me curious about just how different it is in the new ES.
Those who own C5 Corvettes with the Bose sound system call it the "Blose" sound system when speaking of it on the Corvette forums... I also have it in mine and actually like it...
Old 11-29-18, 02:23 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

I'll preface my thoughts by saying that I am far from an audiophile. It is rare for me to want to listen to music while in a car, and I'm not sure that my ears and brain are capable of telling the difference between the performance of a high quality audio system and one of lower quality.

Still, I've amused myself by reading all of the posts in this thread and with the other ML thread that is currently on this board.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...n-painful.html

What strikes me about the posts in these two threads is how the perceptions of some about the ML system and other audio systems can be complete opposites of each other. Even taking into account the quality of various sources and differing music preferences, different people don't seem to be able to agree even on things like whether the ML system does better or worse than other systems with low quality sources, such as XM radio.

That leads me to conclude that, in addition to other variables, there has to be a good measure of confirmation bias that is influencing the conclusions to which some have come. If that is the case, it would seem that, before spending the $1100 or so of additional cost for the ML system, potential buyers would be wisest, before buying, to spend time at a dealership experimenting with various sources and to come to their own conclusions about which audio system makes the most sense to them. Otherwise, from just reading posts here, I don't think I would have any confidence at all in making any judgments about how good or not good the ML system is.
Old 11-29-18, 03:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I'll preface my thoughts by saying that I am far from an audiophile. It is rare for me to want to listen to music while in a car, and I'm not sure that my ears and brain are capable of telling the difference between the performance of a high quality audio system and one of lower quality.

Still, I've amused myself by reading all of the posts in this thread and with the other ML thread that is currently on this board.

What strikes me about the posts in these two threads is how the perceptions of some about the ML system and other audio systems can be complete opposites of each other. Even taking into account the quality of various sources and differing music preferences, different people don't seem to be able to agree even on things like whether the ML system does better or worse than other systems with low quality sources, such as XM radio.

That leads me to conclude that, in addition to other variables, there has to be a good measure of confirmation bias that is influencing the conclusions to which some have come. If that is the case, it would seem that, before spending the $1100 or so of additional cost for the ML system, potential buyers would be wisest, before buying, to spend time at a dealership experimenting with various sources and to come to their own conclusions about which audio system makes the most sense to them. Otherwise, from just reading posts here, I don't think I would have any confidence at all in making any judgments about how good or not good the ML system is.
I'm in the same boat as you regarding factory upgraded sound systems. I currently have a BMW and an Audi and there are very similar threads on two forums that I look in on. Currently there are a couple on one BMW forum about disappointment with their Harman Kardon systems. On the Audi forum there are a few, maybe less than BMW, on their Bang and Olufsen systems. One thing I've found is that many times other desirable features are bundled in with a brands upgraded system.
Old 11-29-18, 04:22 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz

Yup, listening to it yourself is always the best way to judge if you'll like a stereo. It is hard to ask somebody else how "good" something is... people have different tastes and preferences. The part that is wrong to me is people expecting the ML system to do something it is not designed nor advertised to do (blast music at them from all directions). If you don't enjoy something designed to reproduce music as it was created, don't buy a system intended for that purpose.
Old 12-12-19, 05:58 PM
RDUone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the ML system is ok but the Harman Kardon in my 2008 Mercedes E350 blows it away. Very solid bass, great highs and solid midrange. I feel like the ML is missing the clear highs. It does have a great fullness but not as good overall.
Old 12-13-19, 07:59 AM
Ken7
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

The one I always heard was, "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose". I actually don't think their stuff is that bad at all.

Last edited by Ken7; 12-16-19 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-13-19, 09:19 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ken7
The one I always heard was, "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose". I actually don't think they're stuff is that bad at all.
I have a Bose system in my 1998 Corvette and I think it compares to the ML system in my Ultra Luxury edition Lexus...
Old 12-15-19, 11:50 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I actually listened to the ML system yesterday at the dealer and I though it sounded very good. Sounded much better than the Bose stereo's in my 2016 Corvette Z06 and in my previous Nissan 370Z. What I thought was interesting is the sales person told me that part of the problem with the reduced sound from the back speakers had to do with the Double Pained rear window absorbing too much of the sound. He claims Lexus is very aware of the complaints and is working on a solution. Not sure if there is any truth to this but I've never heard this before and thought I would pass this along.
Old 12-15-19, 01:22 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by carsareus
I actually listened to the ML system yesterday at the dealer and I though it sounded very good. Sounded much better than the Bose stereo's in my 2016 Corvette Z06 and in my previous Nissan 370Z. What I thought was interesting is the sales person told me that part of the problem with the reduced sound from the back speakers had to do with the Double Pained rear window absorbing too much of the sound. He claims Lexus is very aware of the complaints and is working on a solution. Not sure if there is any truth to this but I've never heard this before and thought I would pass this along.
Rear window is not dual pane. Sales people continue to be the most clueless on what they sell.
Old 12-15-19, 01:23 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carsareus
These sales people - who know virtually nothing about these cars - will tell you any thing they think you'll believe. What BS!... I was also told that Lexus was working on a resolution...
That was in June of this year by the dealer Service Manager. I was in on December 6th. for an oil change and asked the SM about the "ML solution"... His answer was "there isn't any"...
Next time you see him tell him you were born at night, but not last night... I'm no engineer but I don't think that glass - single or double panes - absorbs sound... Pure BS...
Old 12-15-19, 01:32 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Rear window is not dual pane. Sales people continue to be the most clueless on what they sell.
I never heard that before but I wasn't in a position to argue with him.

Quick Reply: More thoughts about the Mark Levinson audio system