ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

More thoughts about the Mark Levinson audio system

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-18, 07:20 AM
wmogolov
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default More thoughts about the Mark Levinson audio system

Not meaning to “beat a dead horse”, but here are a few more thoughts that I have on the Mark Levinson audio system.

I’ve had my 2019 ES 300H now for almost two months now and, needless to say, it’s the absolute best car I’ve ever owned. That being said, I’ve come to a few conclusions (my opinion) about the Mark Levinson audio system. They’re only my thoughts and I’m sure others may differ while others may agree. There’s no right or wrong when it comes to judging the sound quality. It’s almost totally subjective.

It seems to me (and my ears) that certain genres of music sound better with the ML than others. In my opinion, if you want to really hear what the ML system can do, I definitely wouldn’t do it with AM or FM radio…or even Sirius radio for that matter.. I originally did that and I was very disappointed I would do your sampling with streaming music or cd. As far as streaming music goes, I’ve tried Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Music, and Apple Music and I’ve found (IMO) that Apple Music and cd's seem to be the better of the bunch. While the others sound good, Apple Music and cd's seem to be crisper and have more spatial separation than the others.

For some reason, and to my ears, Jazz and Classical seem to sound the best. I’m not sure why. It may be that they are my favorite genres and that it’s just “in my head”. But I really don’t think so.

Here are a few album samples that, I think, really demo what the ML system can do. If you have streaming capability with Apple Music, listen to them there. The same goes for CD’s, IMO. Disregard whether you like the genre or not. Just listen to the quality and spatial separation of the sound.

The Dark Knight (soundtrack)-by Hans Zimmer-specifically Always a Catch and other cuts

Chase-Quadrophonic-all cuts but specifically Woman of The Dark-great spatial separation.

Jazz In The New Harmonics-David Chesky

Summer Horns-Gerald Albright

Ricochet-Richard Elliot

Now some of you can get into a great debate about the technical aspects of various audio sources and how one is better than the other. This post isn’t about that. It’s only a personal opinion about what my ears perceive. Plain and simple. And while different sets of ears can hear totally different things, again, it’s really subjective.

Nonetheless, check out some of the samples here and see what you think.
Old 11-25-18, 09:31 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

And make sure if you're listening through a streaming app (Apple Music, Spotify, etc.), you have the high quality streaming option on!
Old 11-25-18, 11:11 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wmogolov
Not meaning to “beat a dead horse”, but here are a few more thoughts that I have on the Mark Levinson audio system.

I’ve had my 2019 ES 300H now for almost two months now and, needless to say, it’s the absolute best car I’ve ever owned. That being said, I’ve come to a few conclusions (my opinion) about the Mark Levinson audio system. They’re only my thoughts and I’m sure others may differ while others may agree. There’s no right or wrong when it comes to judging the sound quality. It’s almost totally subjective.

It seems to me (and my ears) that certain genres of music sound better with the ML than others. In my opinion, if you want to really hear what the ML system can do, I definitely wouldn’t do it with AM or FM radio…or even Sirius radio for that matter.. I originally did that and I was very disappointed I would do your sampling with streaming music or cd. As far as streaming music goes, I’ve tried Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Music, and Apple Music and I’ve found (IMO) that Apple Music and cd's seem to be the better of the bunch. While the others sound good, Apple Music and cd's seem to be crisper and have more spatial separation than the others.

For some reason, and to my ears, Jazz and Classical seem to sound the best. I’m not sure why. It may be that they are my favorite genres and that it’s just “in my head”. But I really don’t think so.

Here are a few album samples that, I think, really demo what the ML system can do. If you have streaming capability with Apple Music, listen to them there. The same goes for CD’s, IMO. Disregard whether you like the genre or not. Just listen to the quality and spatial separation of the sound.

The Dark Knight (soundtrack)-by Hans Zimmer-specifically Always a Catch and other cuts

Chase-Quadrophonic-all cuts but specifically Woman of The Dark-great spatial separation.

Jazz In The New Harmonics-David Chesky

Summer Horns-Gerald Albright

Ricochet-Richard Elliot

Now some of you can get into a great debate about the technical aspects of various audio sources and how one is better than the other. This post isn’t about that. It’s only a personal opinion about what my ears perceive. Plain and simple. And while different sets of ears can hear totally different things, again, it’s really subjective.

Nonetheless, check out some of the samples here and see what you think.
I tried both the standard and the ML system before I ordered my car. In my experience it was XM where I noticed the biggest difference. On the standard Pioneer system XM sounded static-y. The JBL system in my Camry sounded better. With the ML system XM sounded very clear. Obviously it wasn't CD quality but it was a little better than XM on my Camry's JBL system which is already enough to be enjoyable for me. The background static of XM on the Pioneer system drove me crazy.

High bit rate MP3s sounded very good.

AM and FM radio were about what I would expect.

I didn't test CDs because I didn't have any with me and I don't carry CDs anyways.
Old 11-25-18, 03:22 PM
wmogolov
Driver School Candidate

One more suggestion....music played through the ML system sounds best at higher volumes. You don't need to risk damaging your eardrums but around 40 will give you a pretty good idea of what the optimal sound will be like.

Last edited by wmogolov; 11-26-18 at 04:52 AM.
Old 11-26-18, 04:57 PM
jshap4321
Driver School Candidate

Spend 10 minutes in an Acura with ELS sound or Cadillac Bose surround and you will send hate mail to Mark Levinson. I know I know... purist, orchestra, natural stage, blah, blah, HOGWASH! What’s good is good. There is absolutely no fullness to the sound. Plus it’s terribly out of balance with the front/center bias, which is a complete gimmick. Can you tell I’m loving the ML in my ES fsport??
Old 11-26-18, 05:10 PM
jstagn
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jshap4321...only agree with you 10,000 %. Probably waiting til 2020, or just buy my 2016.
Old 11-27-18, 05:26 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by jshap4321
Spend 10 minutes in an Acura with ELS sound or Cadillac Bose surround and you will send hate mail to Mark Levinson. I know I know... purist, orchestra, natural stage, blah, blah, HOGWASH! What’s good is good. There is absolutely no fullness to the sound. Plus it’s terribly out of balance with the front/center bias, which is a complete gimmick. Can you tell I’m loving the ML in my ES fsport??
I recently spent some time in an XT4. I can say without a doubt that the ML is far superior to the Blose system in the Caddy. I do, however, prefer the ELS system in the RDX over the ML.
Old 11-27-18, 07:41 AM
jfz219
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Let's compare ML to ML. I think the benchmark for ML is the system in the 2004-2006 LS430. For those who currently want more rear biased sound, the older ML would adjust for driver, both front, and all four seating arrangements. This balance could be further adjusted L-R and F-R. The speakers front and rear were equally capable of producing the volume and accuracy of the recording. The 2019 ML seems to be a dedicated 5.1 surround system. THX sound is front-center-left dominant with rear channel spacial effect. The base channel (the .1 of the system) can be placed anywhere. Rear base works well for car applications because of the size of the audio driver. For those who want rear-biased stereo sound in the 2019 ML, you will not be happy.

As to the frequency response of the 2019 vs the 2004 ML, the new system is a disappointment. Choose a well produced CD from Phillips or American Grammaphone. In the 2004 system, the highs were bright (cymbals and triangles in percussion). The base strings and drums popped without buzzing. The 2019 falls short no matter how the EQ is adjusted.

In summary, better than Bose but not to prior Mark Levinson standards.
Old 11-27-18, 02:33 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

This creates a dilemma for me. One of the primary reasons I'm searching for the right UL ES 350 is the ML system. Along with some other features of the Ultra Lux level. If I forego the ML sound system I might as well buy a Lux level ES 350 and save some money. I don't care about the suspension, pano roof, or noise reducing wheels. I would like to have the trunk foot sensor and the upgraded leather seats though. If the ML system is really not worth the price - as some members are posting - I'll just have to decide between the levels...
Old 11-27-18, 03:06 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
This creates a dilemma for me. One of the primary reasons I'm searching for the right UL ES 350 is the ML system. Along with some other features of the Ultra Lux level. If I forego the ML sound system I might as well buy a Lux level ES 350 and save some money. I don't care about the suspension, pano roof, or noise reducing wheels. I would like to have the trunk foot sensor and the upgraded leather seats though. If the ML system is really not worth the price - as some members are posting - I'll just have to decide between the levels...
I tested my parent's ML in their ES last week. It sounds great, as long as you're not expecting the sound bias you had in your 70's era pony car with a couple 6x9's in the rear deck. I actually prefer it to my 2013 ML. The sound is more front orientated, like it is in your living room. The only issue I can think of is rear seat passengers not being fully immersed in the experience. Your best bet would be to listen to it for yourself at your dealer, but be sure to bring a high quality source. Someone said XM sound was improved in the 2019 ML. I did not notice any improvement. It's still muddy and the lack of frequency response evident. 320kbps MP3's on a flash drive would be a good source test, or a CD.

My only issue is with the USB media socket, which I'm sure is the same with all audio options in the ES. The socket is on the center counsel, covered with a flimsy plastic tethered cap. I installed the lowest profile flash drive available. Maybe a 1/4" in height. Once installed, there is no way to close the cover. On my 2013, it's in the console, under the arm rest. Totally out of sight. They should fire that guy. I'm guessing that same person thought not having covers for the cup holders was a good idea.
Old 11-27-18, 05:17 PM
jshap4321
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
As one of the biggest ML critics, let me assure you the ML is much better than the base Pioneer system. I just think it is an embarrassment for Lexus to market ML like it’s God’s gift to car stereo when it is so lacking in fullness and balance.
Old 11-27-18, 05:54 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,310 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by jfz219
Let's compare ML to ML. I think the benchmark for ML is the system in the 2004-2006 LS430. For those who currently want more rear biased sound, the older ML would adjust for driver, both front, and all four seating arrangements. This balance could be further adjusted L-R and F-R. The speakers front and rear were equally capable of producing the volume and accuracy of the recording. The 2019 ML seems to be a dedicated 5.1 surround system. THX sound is front-center-left dominant with rear channel spacial effect. The base channel (the .1 of the system) can be placed anywhere. Rear base works well for car applications because of the size of the audio driver. For those who want rear-biased stereo sound in the 2019 ML, you will not be happy.

As to the frequency response of the 2019 vs the 2004 ML, the new system is a disappointment. Choose a well produced CD from Phillips or American Grammaphone. In the 2004 system, the highs were bright (cymbals and triangles in percussion). The base strings and drums popped without buzzing. The 2019 falls short no matter how the EQ is adjusted.

In summary, better than Bose but not to prior Mark Levinson standards.
I wonder how much of that has to do with last year's purchase. With Samsung purchasing Haman International Industries last year, the new ML system is technically Samsung owned.
Old 11-27-18, 08:42 PM
ES63
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes I need to spend a little more time on various tracks, compression codecs. Comparing to my Genesis lexicon ... im hard pressed to say the ML stacks up. Its good .. but
Just opinion , so far but it hasnt “popped” to me to say yes this is great sound !
I dont consider max db a grading factor but the Lexicon does still have better clarity @ 80% and up.
W all media types.
The ML , really struggles w the higher compressed stuff. ( i know you cant make $&@ soumd great , but the processing still lacks ).
But ill keep am open ear....
Old 11-28-18, 04:42 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES63
The ML , really struggles w the higher compressed stuff. ( i know you cant make $&@ soumd great , but the processing still lacks ).
But ill keep am open ear....
The issue with highly compressed material on the ML, is the fact that each speaker is filtered/tuned to only play a specific frequency range. With XM, some of the speakers have nothing in their range but noise. I suppose they could have them turn off in cases like that, but then people would be complaining of no audio coming out of some speakers. Bottom line, if you want to play highly compressed audio, on any audio system, save your money just buy mainstream.
Old 11-28-18, 08:08 PM
1BAD4DR
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jshap4321

As one of the biggest ML critics, let me assure you the ML is much better than the base Pioneer system. I just think it is an embarrassment for Lexus to market ML like it’s God’s gift to car stereo when it is so lacking in fullness and balance.
I just got an XTS rental and the Bose is trash compared to the ML not sure what your smoking. I worked in premium high end audio and we alyways had a saying for Bose “all highs and no lows”. The caddy did not impress me whatsoever.

Quick Reply: More thoughts about the Mark Levinson audio system