ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019 ES350 F Sport front seat comfort

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-18, 07:53 AM
Chinachip
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 ES350 F Sport front seat comfort

I recently purchased the 2019 ES350 F Sport with the red interior and after 45 minutes my lower back is killing me. I have tried everything, Unfortunately, the lower lumber bladder just goes in and out. Just one bladder ball. It cannot be moved up or down and there are no other lower back adjustments. I have a 09' 4runner and had a 07' Camry. Both leather. Never had any comfort issues at all. It seems that this ES just needs more padding or something to widen the feel of the bladder for the lower lumbar support. Or even to place padding underneath it so the thing isn't just pushing on one point of my spine. Anyone else have these issues? I am to a point of trading this in on either a BMW, Infinity or may go back to a Camry.
The following users liked this post:
Kbains71 (07-02-23)
Old 12-05-18, 09:44 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you provide a picture of the part of the seat that you don't like?
Old 12-05-18, 10:25 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,555 Likes on 1,821 Posts

This is interesting. I hated the seats in the RX FSport and purchased the non-F Sport as a result. When I test drove the ES F Sport, I found the seats were much less snug than those in the RX and I was actually quite comfortable in them. I'm still shopping
Old 12-05-18, 11:51 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
This is interesting. I hated the seats in the RX FSport and purchased the non-F Sport as a result. When I test drove the ES F Sport, I found the seats were much less snug than those in the RX and I was actually quite comfortable in them. I'm still shopping
What did you think of the ES F Sport, and the way it drove? How would you compare it to non F sport?
Old 12-05-18, 12:41 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,555 Likes on 1,821 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
What did you think of the ES F Sport, and the way it drove? How would you compare it to non F sport?
I love the look of it, loved the way it drove but can't compare to the non-F Sport as I wouldn't opt for that one and thus have never driven one - just my personal preference.
Old 12-05-18, 04:11 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,341 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Chinachip
I recently purchased the 2019 ES350 F Sport with the red interior and after 45 minutes my lower back is killing me. I have tried everything, Unfortunately, the lower lumber bladder just goes in and out. Just one bladder ball. It cannot be moved up or down and there are no other lower back adjustments. I have a 09' 4runner and had a 07' Camry. Both leather. Never had any comfort issues at all. It seems that this ES just needs more padding or something to widen the feel of the bladder for the lower lumbar support. Or even to place padding underneath it so the thing isn't just pushing on one point of my spine. Anyone else have these issues? I am to a point of trading this in on either a BMW, Infinity or may go back to a Camry.
Originally Posted by mikemu30
Same thing happened to me. I found the F Sport seats more comfortable than the seats in the Ultra Lux. My Corvette actually causes me back pain right now and within 5 minutes in the ES I was pain free.
Old 12-05-18, 04:19 PM
CashGap
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

For a tenth of what you would lose trading a ‘19, I’d go to an upholstery shop and have them add whatever you needed.

Probably for a twentieth of what you would lose trading this early.
Old 12-05-18, 05:28 PM
jshap4321
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 19 es fsport and I’ve suffered from significant lower back pain most of my life. I have found that the best setting is with the lumber support almost completely NOT in the forward position - just the smallest touch of support. I drove from Key West to Tampa in the car (7 hours) and I was comfortable. Try the setting the way I suggested and let your body get used to the seats. I think you’ll be fine.
Old 12-06-18, 07:19 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jshap4321

I have the 19 es fsport and I’ve suffered from significant lower back pain most of my life. I have found that the best setting is with the lumber support almost completely NOT in the forward position - just the smallest touch of support. I drove from Key West to Tampa in the car (7 hours) and I was comfortable. Try the setting the way I suggested and let your body get used to the seats. I think you’ll be fine.
This. I also had this lower back pain in Our Highlander and ES. For me, the best solution was to completely deflate the lumbar. Then reset the seat to it minimum settings by that I mean. lowest setting for both thigh support and thigh extensions. Then sit in the seat, make sure your shoulder blades are flat on the seat back completely, then slowly adjust the rake of the seat back, till it is almost upright( so that your back is almost straight). Then, extend and put your dominant hand over the 12 o'clock position on the steering wheel, now slowly move the seat forward till you wrist is touching, top of the steering wheel at 12 o'clock and your palm is in front of the steering wheel, make sure your back is still flat on the seat. Now adjust the thigh support just enough to support, not all the way up (leave enough space to put you hand under the thigh). And finally only use thigh extensions, if needed. As to the adjusting seat height, make sure you head is straight, and when adjusted you can reach the pedals and your eyes should be at the center of the windshield. Going to feal uncomfortable for couple of days, but trust me after you get used to this position, it hard to go back. now i can drive very long before, i need to get out the car and stretch. Also main point is to relax your muscles in the set and not to put, too much pressure on the thighs and back, as to block blood circulation.

Source: Ergonomic counselor from work.
Old 12-06-18, 12:25 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95bat
Same thing happened to me. I found the F Sport seats more comfortable than the seats in the Ultra Lux. My Corvette actually causes me back pain right now and within 5 minutes in the ES I was pain free.
Did you end up getting the ES F Sport?

Just asking, because your car signature has the Corvette, and the RX, but not the ES.

Also, are the ES F Sport seats more bucket-y? Could they still be raised to the same height levels as a non F sport ES? Are the seats very different, or just a little different (while still being more preferable for the F sport)?
Old 12-06-18, 02:50 PM
Chinachip
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, the seats have very limited adjustment. The lower section of the seat does not tip or adjust separately. The entire seat goes up and down. Goes back and forth, The upper seatback tips back and the lumber bladder inflates only in one small area. The area that gives me pain is in the lumbar area. I went to an upholstery shop. The upholstery shop owner also stated it felt very firm and thinks that adding foam would correct the issue. He recommends adding material in both the lower seat back and in the lower back section of the lower seat cushion.
Old 12-06-18, 02:53 PM
Chinachip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Can you provide a picture of the part of the seat that you don't like?

Old 12-06-18, 03:04 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Unfortunately, the seats have very limited adjustment. The lower section of the seat does not tip or adjust separately. The entire seat goes up and down. Goes back and forth, The upper seatback tips back and the lumber bladder inflates only in one small area. The area that gives me pain is in the lumbar area. I went to an upholstery shop. The upholstery shop owner also stated it felt very firm and thinks that adding foam would correct the issue. He recommends adding material in both the lower seat back and in the lower back section of the lower seat cushion.
Thanks for the picture and updates. So you would add foam to the lower part of the black area?
Old 12-06-18, 03:09 PM
Chinachip
Driver School Candidate

I think the upholstery guy wants to add foam below the lumbar and over the lumbar to take the hardness out of it and to give some support from the lower section of the seat back leading up to the lumbar.
Old 12-06-18, 05:02 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Keep working on it but sometimes seats just don't fit an individual well. I had a 81 Mustang (briefly) that I just couldn't get to be comfortable. At the same time I had a police package 81 Crown Victoria that the moment I first sat in the driver's seat I knew it was great. My recent ES's haven't been overly comfortable but I sat in a ES F-Sport and it, like the 81 CV, felt good right away - not sure my wife is going to agree with this assessment. Good luck.

Dave Mac

Quick Reply: 2019 ES350 F Sport front seat comfort