ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What happens when "Free" Wi-Fi runs out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 03:41 PM
ccuttner
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What happens when "Free" Wi-Fi runs out?

Trading up from second Camry Hybrid ('07, '12) and now a ES-300h UL.... which the salesperson described as a "unicorn" -- closest one among 3 color choices is a mid-January boat from Japan... Research is thin, hence finding this site will be helpful... one impossible to find FAQ: What happens when the Verizon Wi-Fi runs out? I'm really not keen on paying for a hotspot when I have unlimited on my phone. I'm thinking that some of the "subscription" services such as map updates use the Lexus-paid part of the Verizon connection -- but what about "cute" features such as Amazon Echo? In our Toyota with ultra-lame Entune, there is an app that supplies data via Bluetooth... but that is a closed-system of Apps, not stuff like Echo. Can the car connect to external data and ignore Verizon??? Thanks!
Old 12-10-18, 02:46 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It should just connect to your phone via BlueTooth, and use your phone's data.
Old 12-11-18, 07:51 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ccuttner
Trading up from second Camry Hybrid ('07, '12) and now a ES-300h UL.... which the salesperson described as a "unicorn" -- closest one among 3 color choices is a mid-January boat from Japan... Research is thin, hence finding this site will be helpful... one impossible to find FAQ: What happens when the Verizon Wi-Fi runs out? I'm really not keen on paying for a hotspot when I have unlimited on my phone. I'm thinking that some of the "subscription" services such as map updates use the Lexus-paid part of the Verizon connection -- but what about "cute" features such as Amazon Echo? In our Toyota with ultra-lame Entune, there is an app that supplies data via Bluetooth... but that is a closed-system of Apps, not stuff like Echo. Can the car connect to external data and ignore Verizon??? Thanks!
I'm doing pretty much the same thing. Moving from a 2011 Camry Hybrid to a 2019 ES 300h UL ( with ML sound and HUD).