ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Stop Signs Not Recognized and Displayed by RSA

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-22, 09:31 AM
galaxypark
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop Signs

When I first had the car the STOP sign showed on the HUD......now it doesn't and after playing with ever setting possible still cant make it appear........

Any thoughts!

Originally Posted by ES63
So with HUD heres the deal , at least what I found.
I set it to visual only. The stop signs and others will be recognized, however, they are only shown on the multifunction display not on the HUD. They will appear on the screen that shows the lane trace assist/radar cruise control. Just above. I will try and take a picture later today to demonstrate but the HUD never displays anything other than speed limit(RSA) I believe that’s actually the way it’s designed but I don’t think it’s clear in the manual.
Old 08-25-22, 09:48 AM
galaxypark
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The STOP SIGNS appeared in the multi function display behind the steering wheel and the HUD when I first purchased the car.......after changing other settings (who can remember how many or what) the STOP SIGNs now don't appear on the HUD......they still appear on the multi function display......only the speed limit sign appears on the HUD.......any ideas?
Old 08-25-22, 09:51 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by galaxypark
The STOP SIGNS appeared in the multi function display behind the steering wheel and the HUD when I first purchased the car.......after changing other settings (who can remember how many or what) the STOP SIGNs now don't appear on the HUD......they still appear on the multi function display......only the speed limit sign appears on the HUD.......any ideas?
It just doesn't work well. I've owned my ES for nearly four years and I think I've seen the stop sign twice. The good news is I can actually see the real stop sign with my own two eyes so I actually have no need for that gizmo.
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (08-25-22)
Old 08-25-22, 12:05 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

... also if you wait for that indication, you're probably not going to be able to stop in time.

A real waste of technology.
Old 08-25-22, 01:31 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

If any driver doesn't use their own two eyes to see the real sign and instead relies on this should be given the Darwin Award. Any footage of this behavior should be promptly posted to Idiots In Cars subreddit.
The following users liked this post:
LS500Fan (08-25-22)
Old 08-25-22, 06:51 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ionian
If any driver doesn't use their own two eyes to see the real sign and instead relies on this should be given the Darwin Award. Any footage of this behavior should be promptly posted to Idiots In Cars subreddit.
A completely ridiculous feature and even more absurd if you wonder how to correct the malfunction.
Old 08-26-22, 08:12 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

I can’t recall seeing the stop sign in either of my Lexus vehicles that are equipped with it. So I don’t think it is that unusual. As others have said, I don’t use it often, but it is nice to have the speed limit there on those occasions I’m on an unfamiliar road and don’t recall the speed limit (presuming I care…). After a recent road trip on a 65 MPH highway, I found it useful to confirm if that little country town was a 25 or 35 zone, if I missed the sign at the entrance. Many of those little towns are speed traps and it’s easy to get caught rolling too fast after coming from a long stretch at 65. So while I don’t exactly depend on it, I do find it useful on rare occasions.
Old 08-26-22, 08:26 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TechNut
I can’t recall seeing the stop sign in either of my Lexus vehicles that are equipped with it. So I don’t think it is that unusual. As others have said, I don’t use it often, but it is nice to have the speed limit there on those occasions I’m on an unfamiliar road and don’t recall the speed limit (presuming I care…). After a recent road trip on a 65 MPH highway, I found it useful to confirm if that little country town was a 25 or 35 zone, if I missed the sign at the entrance. Many of those little towns are speed traps and it’s easy to get caught rolling too fast after coming from a long stretch at 65. So while I don’t exactly depend on it, I do find it useful on rare occasions.
Agree the speed limit is quite useful and works pretty well.
Old 08-26-22, 09:10 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
Many of those little towns are speed traps and it’s easy to get caught rolling too fast after coming from a long stretch at 65.
Calling it a trap is a bit much! It is a revenue generating service to keep the small town a float. Consider it as road toll for random out of town drivers
Old 08-26-22, 09:39 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I too haven't seen the stop sign too many times on my cluster. like twice maybe. I think it has to do with you have to have the screen on a particular menu. the one that shows the car in the lane (has a car icon and two lane markers) if you're out of that screen, no stop sign.

The stop sign and speed limit should have its own permanent place. too bad Lexus doesn't push a firmware update on something so ridiculously obvious?
Old 08-27-22, 09:58 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 514 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I too haven't seen the stop sign too many times on my cluster. like twice maybe. I think it has to do with you have to have the screen on a particular menu. the one that shows the car in the lane (has a car icon and two lane markers) if you're out of that screen, no stop sign.
Correct, per the Owner's Manual (page 196 in the 2022 ES350 pdf version):

⚫️ When a tab other than the driving support system information is selected, the following types of road signs will be displayed. (→P.76)

• Speed limit sign

• Do Not Enter sign (when notification is necessary)
Old 08-28-22, 01:47 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT

The stop sign and speed limit should have its own permanent place. too bad Lexus doesn't push a firmware update on something so ridiculously obvious?
Not sure what this even means but maybe it doesn't apply to the FSport cluster. I'll have to watch for stop signs with my own two eyes😋