ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Frequency of Updates to Lexus Navigation Maps

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-19, 07:31 PM
tnw2933
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Frequency of Updates to Lexus Navigation Maps

i recently purchased a 2019 Lexus ES350. While studying the setup of the Lexus Navigation system I noticed that the Map Information in Navigation Setup stated that the map update was dated April 2018 and that map updates apparently can only be done by Lexus dealers. How often does Lexus provide map updates? Does one have to ask the Lexus dealer to update the maps when taking the car in for service?

Tom
Old 01-01-19, 08:52 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Every November. Updates are not free, so you’ll have to pay if you want an update.
Old 01-01-19, 08:57 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

I believe the map updates are released once per year - in the fall. And yes, it has to be done by the dealer. As I understand, expect low $200’s for the update by US dealers. Someone should be able to verify the cost - I am scheduled for the update this Friday.

The cost and currency of the map data is one reason so many people prefer using their smartphones. I prefer the built-in Nav but I won’t bore you with my reasoning. Everyone is free to reach their own conclusions as to the value of the factory Nav based on their personal needs and expectations.
Old 01-01-19, 10:25 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Confused, isnt this platform of nav, dynamic?

GETTING THERE IS EASIER THAN EVER
New Dynamic Navigation* in select vehicles, offers three enhanced features. Enjoy greater accuracy through cloud-based updates with Dynamic Map. Dynamic Route offers alternate routes based on conditions ahead, and Dynamic POI Search automatically sorts Points of Interest results based on relevance. Available on 2018 NX, RC, RC F and LS models only, and complimentary for the first three years of ownership. To learn more, click below.
Old 01-02-19, 04:41 AM
tnw2933
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I, too, am confused about the map updates costing $200 per year when the manual for my 2019 Lexus ES350 says they are complimentary for the first year. I am taking my older Lexus GS300 in for service soon and i’ll Be asking my dealer specifically about the charge for mao updates. If there is a charge for the first year I do not see how it can be described as complimentary. After that I would assume (but will verify) that the navigation subscription should cover the cost of a new map.
Old 01-02-19, 06:36 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Confused, isnt this platform of nav, dynamic?

GETTING THERE IS EASIER THAN EVER
New Dynamic Navigation* in select vehicles, offers three enhanced features. Enjoy greater accuracy through cloud-based updates with Dynamic Map. Dynamic Route offers alternate routes based on conditions ahead, and Dynamic POI Search automatically sorts Points of Interest results based on relevance. Available on 2018 NX, RC, RC F and LS models only, and complimentary for the first three years of ownership. To learn more, click below.
That's my understanding as well.
Old 01-02-19, 07:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Ah yes, my apologies. I forgot they changed it to the 3 years of complimentary updates.
Old 01-02-19, 08:44 AM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry. It's a cumbersome system to me and slow to respond. I can't imagine paying for updates. I'll stick to Google Maps or Waze. Both give audio directions from your phone when you are connected as bluetooth audio.
Old 01-02-19, 10:15 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

My apologies as well. I wasn’t aware they had changed the map updates for this model year.
Old 01-02-19, 10:25 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

To clear up a little here, Dynamic Navigation isn't an "update" per say. Not like in the traditional sense anyways. As you drive along or set destinations, any additional/new roads that aren't in your current navigation software are "overlaid" (my wording for lack of a technical term) onto your current map. This is done using the car's DCM (built in communication module) and any new roads/routes are downloaded from the cloud. The service is free for 3 years. You aren't required to go to a dealership once a year for this to work. After the 3 years are up, if you do not renew this service, the car's navigation system reverts back to how it was originally. The cloud updates aren't written to the navigation system permanently. I believe you basically have something like a 50 mile radius around the car that the Dynamic Nav fills in as you drive.

Now after the 3 years are up, if you decide to renew this service, you will get a traditional nav update as well as an additional 2 years of Dynamic Nav. I don't believe prices are set yet. I've heard they'll be around $300 but that could change. But remember that for $300 you get a traditional "hardcoded" nav update plus 2 additional years of this Dynamic Nav cloud service.

Hope this clears things up a little.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (05-17-20)
Old 01-02-19, 02:59 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Am I missing something here? According to the manual it states: "Available on 2018 NX, RC, RC F and LS models only". No ES models??
Old 01-02-19, 04:56 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Am I missing something here? According to the manual it states: "Available on 2018 NX, RC, RC F and LS models only". No ES models??
2019 ES has it.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (01-02-19)
Old 07-03-19, 09:12 AM
aggiemike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Navigation is Horrible

Originally Posted by mikemu30
2019 ES has it.
It is so sad that Lexus and other premium vehicle manufacturers continue to refuse to design an interface into their hardware that allows full integration of our cell phones and the far superior Navigation and other software. Both Apple and Android have had the platforms available for several years (Android Auto and Apple Carplay) but it seems Lexus is only grudgingly starting to integrate Carplay only in some of its latest 2019 models. I would love it if they would consider updating older models with this capability but no way are they going to do this.

If you want the best technology, look to the cheaper car manufacturers who have taken the lead in this area.

Thx
Old 07-03-19, 10:00 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by aggiemike
It is so sad that Lexus and other premium vehicle manufacturers continue to refuse to design an interface into their hardware that allows full integration of our cell phones and the far superior Navigation and other software. Both Apple and Android have had the platforms available for several years (Android Auto and Apple Carplay) but it seems Lexus is only grudgingly starting to integrate Carplay only in some of its latest 2019 models. I would love it if they would consider updating older models with this capability but no way are they going to do this.

If you want the best technology, look to the cheaper car manufacturers who have taken the lead in this area.

Thx
I'm sure it has to do a lot with the demographic of people that purchase the vehicle. Most Lexus owners are perfectly happy with the built-in Nav. With other "cheaper" car manufactures they know not offering Android auto and Carplay would be a costly mistake since their demographic relies heavily on that technology.

For older vehicles, there are aftermarket options that allow the integration of Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
Old 07-03-19, 01:29 PM
Truly55
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It’s 3 years complimentary map updates for UK models too but the customer updates the maps themselves via their home PC and a flash drive. The Lexus portal confirms the update (two per annum, one in spring and one in autumn) and it’s generally a 12GB update. Load the flash drive into the car’s USB port, enter the code generated by the portal and let it install. You have to leave the engine running for an hour whilst the updates take place.

Quick Reply: Frequency of Updates to Lexus Navigation Maps