ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Apple CarPlay and Acoustic Window on Base ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 07:53 PM
AutoxMiata
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay and Acoustic Window on Base ES350?

Two question regarding options on the base ES:

1. I read that Apple CarPlay being standard for all ES with production date October 2018. But I see somewhere else saying you have to get the larger screen to get it. Can anyone confirm the Apple CarPlay available on base ES with the small standard screen?

2. Does the double-pane window also available on base ES? Or only lux or ultra lux? Any difference for front and rear as well?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-19, 07:40 AM
CashGap
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoxMiata
Two question regarding options on the base ES:

1. I read that Apple CarPlay being standard for all ES with production date October 2018. But I see somewhere else saying you have to get the larger screen to get it. Can anyone confirm the Apple CarPlay available on base ES with the small standard screen?

2. Does the double-pane window also available on base ES? Or only lux or ultra lux? Any difference for front and rear as well?

Thanks!
Can't answer the window question.

You absolutely get CarPlay with the smaller screen, IF the vehicle was produced after the production date.

The bigger screen is nice. I hate that I paid a ridiculous price per square inch, since the built in nav has no appeal to me, but I've already forgotten that and still enjoy the screen daily.
Old 01-14-22, 04:32 PM
PrznPrince
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to bump an old thread up but was curious on the window question too. I currently have a 2022 Base ES but would really love to have the acoustic windows put in. Would it be possible to have Lexus install it on the base model/is the door itself different on the lux/ultra lux that it wouldn't be possible?

Last edited by PrznPrince; 01-14-22 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-14-22, 11:52 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 568 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by PrznPrince
Sorry to bump an old thread up but was curious on the window question too. I currently have a 2022 Base ES but would really love to have the acoustic windows put in. Would it be possible to have Lexus install it on the base model/is the door itself different on the lux/ultra lux that it wouldn't be possible?
IIRC, in a thread back in 2020 there was mention of a dealer addressing a noise complaint involving the base tempered glass front door windows by replacing them with the laminated windows that are used in the Luxury and Ultra Luxury models. (The rear door windows in all models are the same tempered automotive glass windows.)
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22, 09:17 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

I don't know the answer but can speculate like everyone else. I would "guess" that dual pane acoustic windows can be installed in any ES. The actual thickness of the two panes sandwiched together don't appear any thicker than our last ES which was the base+premium. So the hardware would likely be the same as the window channels should accommodate either glass. Having said that, I also couldn't argue that the difference would be worth the price. If there is any difference at all, in my honest opinion, it is very minor.
Old 01-15-22, 02:02 PM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by TechNut
...The actual thickness of the two panes sandwiched together don't appear any thicker than our last ES which was the base+premium. ...
Eyeballed tape measurement thickness of the both the front door UL laminated and rear door tempered glass is 3/16 inch. That converts to 4.7625 mm; however, since the whole car is designed in the metric system, the thickness is likely specified at 4.8 mm for both. (Amongst other properties, glass thickness affects noice reduction properties.)

​​​​...​​​Having said that, I also couldn't argue that the difference would be worth the price. If there is any difference at all, in my honest opinion, it is very minor.
Although it isn't specific to Lexus ES door window glass, the book "The Automotive Body: Volume I: Components Design" (on pages 304 and 305 in the 2011 copyrighted version) has a comparison between tempered and laminated side window types including acoustic dampening differences and frequency dampening (in decibels) graphs comparing dampening of various thicknesses of tempered glass and another showing the dampening differences between standard PVB laminated and acoustic PVB laminated glass. There's also a "External lorry noise transmission through side windows" 2000 to 8000 Hz frequency range decibel noise graph showing the differences between tempered glass and acoustic laminated glass and the body text referencing that graph states in part "... different external noise transmission to cabin interior ...(from 3 to 6 dB for average traffic noise, from 1 to 3 dB for wind noise)."

According to the ES's front door window badging, the AGC [automotive] Lamisafe glass used is just standard laminated glass which has slightly different noise dampening characteristics then their AGC [automotive] Laminated Acoustic Glass specialty acoustic dampening glass. The AGC web site does have a comparison Normal Laminated vs Acoustic graph showing the sound dampening differences across the 200 to 10000 Hz frequency range.

While it takes some graph eyeball comparing and some inferences from the data, I think one can conclude the AGC Lamisafe laminated glass has more sound dampening properties than the tempered glass. What sounds and how much will depend upon the frequency characteristics of the sounds. While 1, 3, or 6 dB doesn't look like much reduction over plain old tempered automotive glass, it is a logarithmic scale where a 1 dB change equates to about a 26% difference in sound energy and just over a 7% change in sound loudness and where a 3 dB change equates to a 100% difference of sound energy and just over a 23% change in sound loudness.

Here's the Google books preview link The Automotive Body Volume I: Components Design where you can click on the "Search inside" button and then search on "side window" and in the search result list select the page 304 [or depending upon the results listing page 305] and should be able to scroll between the two pages to see the relevant information.
The following 2 users liked this post by grp52:
LexFinally (01-19-22), mcomer (01-20-22)
Old 01-16-22, 09:32 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

Wow. Now that's what I call a detailed explanation with supporting data. Thanks. So while it may not be obvious to me, this suggests there is definitely a measurable noise improvement with the laminated acoustic glass. For background, I have normal hearing and do not use any hearing assistive technology. While I certainly trust your information, I still believe the difference for a person with average hearing is very small and probably would not be worth the expense of attempting such an upgrade on a base model ES. It is my humble opinion they would be disappointed with the amount of improvement.

Last edited by TechNut; 01-17-22 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-16-22, 08:53 PM
PrznPrince
Driver

Will likewise echo truly appreciate all the detail! Seems like it'd be somewhat helpful if service would be inclined to do so, but otherwise its not really worth the effort outright in terms of likely cost (not so much the windows, but guessing the installation on both doors would be pricey). From what I've gathered from reading on these forums, it could be more of a seal issue or tires might be more better solutions (I have Michellin Energy Saver). Still, great news that it could actually be done/no difference in construction.

Just curious in terms of noise reduction, is what really makes a difference between the Base and Lux/Ultra Lux the lateral performance dampers? I haven't seen too much positive praise for the Reduction Wheels so guessing thats probably the big difference maker?
Old 01-17-22, 07:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

I thought about getting the dual pane for my ES. but meh. they're $200 a pop on ebay used and would take me 10 min per side to pop in. maybe if i keep the car and one day in 5 years if i get bored

i'd get them out of curiosity but likely one of those things i wouldn't really notice a difference.
Old 01-19-22, 07:51 PM
PrznPrince
Driver

This thread has been so helpful! would it be a consideration at all if the parts for ordered for the windows if the new glass didnt match the rear passenger windows? I chatted with a few folks and they mentioned putting lamisafe driver windows on a base car might also require changing out the passenger windows because they might not match the tint. My dealership didn't tint my windows, so don't believe this should be a problem? (I have the Cloudburst Grey color on the exterior)
Old 01-19-22, 08:18 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Will likewise echo truly appreciate all the detail! Seems like it'd be somewhat helpful if service would be inclined to do so, but otherwise its not really worth the effort outright in terms of likely cost (not so much the windows, but guessing the installation on both doors would be pricey). From what I've gathered from reading on these forums, it could be more of a seal issue or tires might be more better solutions (I have Michellin Energy Saver). Still, great news that it could actually be done/no difference in construction.

Just curious in terms of noise reduction, is what really makes a difference between the Base and Lux/Ultra Lux the lateral performance dampers? I haven't seen too much positive praise for the Reduction Wheels so guessing thats probably the big difference maker?
Based on nothing but my intuition, I'd guess the opposite. From what little I've read and heard, it seems like the performance dampers are there to reduce frame vibration and enhance the feeling of solidity as much as they're there to reduce noise. By contrast, the acoustic glass's only purpose is just that: acoustic.
Old 01-20-22, 12:08 AM
grp52
Instructor

...Just curious in terms of noise reduction, is what really makes a difference between the Base and Lux/Ultra Lux the lateral performance dampers?...
According to one of Northside Lexus Melissa O'Connell's TechTip Tuesday videos, Lexus uses Yamaha performance dampers. Yamaha has some web resources presenting their marketing propaganda on Yamaha Performance Dampers. If you click on the 6 benefit categories (or Benefits drop down menu items) you'll find some spiffy looking graphs showing comparisons between "With Performance Dampers" and "Without Performance Dampers" but without any vertical axis quantitative (i.e., numbers) labeling they aren't much help at all in making quantitative assessments as to the real benefits of performance dampers.

I think the press release Yamaha Performance Damper Chosen for Latest Lexus NX Series ― Contributing to enhanced comfort and handling stability in the "Features of the Yamaha Performance Damper" paragraph at the bottom probably comes closest to a nutshell summary of performance dampers: dampens "... minute, sub-1 mm body deformations. ...".

So, without better data it is hard to assess what performance dampers contribute to noise reduction. If WAGging, maybe a smidgen of noise reduction at best.
Old 01-20-22, 12:19 AM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
... By contrast, the acoustic glass's only purpose is just that: acoustic.
To clear up what seems to be a fairly wide spread misunderstanding, the Lexus Luxury/Ultra Luxury models do NOT, repeat NOT, use specialty acoustic laminated glass - it is just plain old standard laminated glass.

While plain old standard laminated glass does have greater sound dampening properties than tempered glass, it doesn't have as much sound dampening in certain frequency bands the the specialty acoustic laminated glass has.
Old 01-20-22, 07:30 AM
hammerme
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grp52
To clear up what seems to be a fairly wide spread misunderstanding, the Lexus Luxury/Ultra Luxury models do NOT, repeat NOT, use specialty acoustic laminated glass - it is just plain old standard laminated glass.

While plain old standard laminated glass does have greater sound dampening properties than tempered glass, it doesn't have as much sound dampening in certain frequency bands the the specialty acoustic laminated glass has.
Beyond any potentially minor cumulative external noise filtering properties, the laminated side window glass on UL’s is beneficial during a crash or break-in to prevent the glass bits from being thrown all over you and the interior. The laminate keeps the broken glass mostly together in a single sheet for extra safety maybe?
Old 01-20-22, 04:42 PM
PrznPrince
Driver

Originally Posted by grp52
According to one of Northside Lexus Melissa O'Connell's TechTip Tuesday videos, Lexus uses Yamaha performance dampers. Yamaha has some web resources presenting their marketing propaganda on Yamaha Performance Dampers. If you click on the 6 benefit categories (or Benefits drop down menu items) you'll find some spiffy looking graphs showing comparisons between "With Performance Dampers" and "Without Performance Dampers" but without any vertical axis quantitative (i.e., numbers) labeling they aren't much help at all in making quantitative assessments as to the real benefits of performance dampers.

I think the press release Yamaha Performance Damper Chosen for Latest Lexus NX Series ― Contributing to enhanced comfort and handling stability in the "Features of the Yamaha Performance Damper" paragraph at the bottom probably comes closest to a nutshell summary of performance dampers: dampens "... minute, sub-1 mm body deformations. ...".

So, without better data it is hard to assess what performance dampers contribute to noise reduction. If WAGging, maybe a smidgen of noise reduction at best.
She makes some GREAT videos, definetely good info there. Seems they do come in handy for a smoother ride especially on potholes, but to your point yeah not so much on the noise reduction front

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay and Acoustic Window on Base ES350?