ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019 ES350 Best prices paid so far?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-20, 07:12 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by raiders3
Yesterday, I did step in a dealership to do a test drive on the ES300H. I was pleased with the car.

It will be the last time I step into a dealership before signing he papers.

As much as I liked the reviews, I definitely needed to test drive one in a city driving environment and on an interstate highway.
Alot of dealers are offering home test drives, anything like this in your neck of the woods?
Old 05-18-20, 07:35 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by raiders3
When I test drove an ES-300H yesterday, I asked about production at the Georgetown, KY, facility.

That facility is only producing at 25% of its pre-virus levels. It is anticipated that it will not be back at full production until August.
I saw on the local news a week or so ago that the plant was to open on May 11. However, the plant spokeswoman said that production would not start for one or two weeks while employees were trained on the new safety protocols. So, production is currently zero, although the August date for full production may be accurate. Story I saw said production level partially dependent on supply chain.

I am editing this post after reading a Wall Street Journal article re the opening of car plants. A production problem is that 40% of imported parts for assembly come from Mexico and they have not yet reopened production. So no telling how long it will take to ramp up vehicle production.

Last edited by wasjr; 05-18-20 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Found additional information
Old 05-18-20, 11:41 AM
pbjyum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Longtime lurker on the forums here in the market for an es350. Is this a bad year to buy a new car then? If they are ramping up production on 2021 models in august - that means they will quite possible only be selling 2021 models during the december to remember sales event (if no other 2020 models are around of course). I was planning on going on memorial day because the sales people have been telling me the dealership will have great deals going for that day only. Any advise on strategy at all?
Old 05-18-20, 04:15 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wasjr
I saw on the local news a week or so ago that the plant was to open on May 11. However, the plant spokeswoman said that production would not start for one or two weeks while employees were trained on the new safety protocols. So, production is currently zero, although the August date for full production may be accurate. Story I saw said production level partially dependent on supply chain.

I am editing this post after reading a Wall Street Journal article re the opening of car plants. A production problem is that 40% of imported parts for assembly come from Mexico and they have not yet reopened production. So no telling how long it will take to ramp up vehicle production.

Depends on what volume of parts the 7th gen ES specifically uses from Mexico. The 6th gen was 30% US and Canada while the remainder was imported from Japan.

Originally Posted by pbjyum
Longtime lurker on the forums here in the market for an es350. Is this a bad year to buy a new car then? If they are ramping up production on 2021 models in august - that means they will quite possible only be selling 2021 models during the december to remember sales event (if no other 2020 models are around of course). I was planning on going on memorial day because the sales people have been telling me the dealership will have great deals going for that day only. Any advise on strategy at all?
No one has a crystal ball, all you have is whether or not you can wait till the deal you want presents itself after your search .

Just a tip, the deal you get on memorial day is the same deal you get today. The situation is quite fluid in terms of discounts and deals, For instance Lexus does monthly programs, but for the first time in all of recent history, last friday they changed their program mid month to offer a zero apr deal valid till months end. So all the dealer is creating is false urgency.

Old 05-18-20, 04:59 PM
pbjyum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber

Depends on what volume of parts the 7th gen ES specifically uses from Mexico. The 6th gen was 30% US and Canada while the remainder was imported from Japan.

No one has a crystal ball, all you have is whether or not you can wait till the deal you want presents itself after your search .

Just a tip, the deal you get on memorial day is the same deal you get today. The situation is quite fluid in terms of discounts and deals, For instance Lexus does monthly programs, but for the first time in all of recent history, last friday they changed their program mid month to offer a zero apr deal valid till months end. So all the dealer is creating is false urgency.
I always thought 3 day holiday weekends were a really good time to buy a vehicle in terms of msrp discounts. Is that partially incorrect or is 2020 a unique year for car buying?
Old 05-18-20, 06:46 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I always thought 3 day holiday weekends were a really good time to buy a vehicle in terms of msrp discounts. Is that partially incorrect or is 2020 a unique year for car buying?
Nope....thats a tall tale dealers spin.While 2020 is a unique year with the current situation, it comes down to what the market can bare in terms of pricing on that given day and deal. So I`d start by emailing a bunch of dealers with vehicles at or to your desired spec and see what that pricing is.
Old 05-23-20, 01:59 PM
pbjyum
Driver School Candidate

Just fyi, was in 2 dealerships today and neither would give me more than 8-9% off msrp. Same model - 2020 FSport with NAV/ML/TRIPLE BEAM. The dealerships are not desperate enough right now it would seem. I guess I'll wait till later this year/end of year to check back.
Old 05-23-20, 02:44 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Just fyi, was in 2 dealerships today and neither would give me more than 8-9% off msrp. Same model - 2020 FSport with NAV/ML/TRIPLE BEAM. The dealerships are not desperate enough right now it would seem. I guess I'll wait till later this year/end of year to check back.
Your mistake is going to the dealerships and trying to do your negotiations there. You will never get the best possible prices if you try to get them while you are sitting in the dealership. When you try to negotiate at the dealership, you have turned over much of your power in the process to the sales person at the dealership.
Old 05-23-20, 02:55 PM
pbjyum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
Your mistake is going to the dealerships and trying to do your negotiations there. You will never get the best possible prices if you try to get them while you are sitting in the dealership. When you try to negotiate at the dealership, you have turned over much of your power in the process to the sales person at the dealership.
Yep I understand that. We got a really good deal on my wife's RX last Christmas negotiating exclusively over email. The sales manager even emailed me when I wouldn't take the last offer by the salesman. I live pretty close to the dealerships so I thought why not try at least...
Old 05-23-20, 05:26 PM
energy88
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep I understand that. We got a really good deal on my wife's RX last Christmas negotiating exclusively over email. The sales manager even emailed me when I wouldn't take the last offer by the salesman. I live pretty close to the dealerships so I thought why not try at least...
Time is on your side. Be patient!
The following users liked this post:
coolsaber (05-23-20)
Old 05-26-20, 05:39 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Any Day Now!

Good Morning Team ES..
Hope everyoneveryone had a "Reflective" Memorial Day Weekend and perhaps said a prayer for our Fallen. Im 20 mins from Arlington Cemetery but its insane on days like this - w President there as well.

Believe I posted in this thread of yours before but didn't look.. Current RC-F Owner w wifes 2017 Lease ending June 30th and shes dead set on a 2020 ES F Sport in Atomic Silver. (Remind me, is that the Matte color that requires special care or is that Nebula Gray?) Anyway, the model was narrowed down to a T and within local sales reps hands here in Northern Virginia. Have not obtained the Hard Numbers yet, and not usually one to play one dealer against another - but another local one says "We'll beat anything X gives you!" And THEN.... The super high end Dealership in NYC I got my RC-F from gave me such a unreal deal I had to sign a NDA on it! Took an Amtrak train up from DC and they sent a Driver in LS to pick us up! (Us being me and "Russell" my PTSD Service Dog) pic from that trip.

Please give me your opinion as you are all the TRUE ES "SMEs" Id like to hear from. How much of a discount / savings, lower price offer would you travel 275 miles for to get the perfect ES ? I know its a Lease w LFS which I have no idea the Up Front/Starting Fees on. But how much is your cutoff?

For instance: $500, $1000, $2000 etc?

Many thanks folks. Look fwd to reporting back w numbers and selection in next few weeks!

Semper Fidelis 🇺🇲

The following 3 users liked this post by GunnyFitz:
dklanecky1 (05-26-20), energy88 (05-26-20), PCW (05-26-20)
Old 05-28-20, 12:44 PM
ezoe
Driver School Candidate

Tesla lowered their prices yesterday...I'm not having luck getting dealers to lower the price on a new ES & am debating between a model 3 or ES now. Is anyone else in a similar position?
Old 05-28-20, 01:13 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ezoe
Tesla lowered their prices yesterday...I'm not having luck getting dealers to lower the price on a new ES & am debating between a model 3 or ES now. Is anyone else in a similar position?
My son drives a '19 Tesla 3 he got last fall and my wife drives an '19 ES350 Fsport she got in Nov. Both love their cars
Both seem to be great cars and I'm sure you'll be happy whichever you decide on
Old 05-28-20, 06:48 PM
aygriffith
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
I know its a Lease w LFS which I have no idea the Up Front/Starting Fees on. But how much is your cutoff?
Long time believer in leasing, especially of luxury vehicles... They say there's three things you don't talk about at parties: Politics, Religion, and Leasing. People have very strong opinions on it, but at the end of the day, a car isn't an investment. It's actually an awful expense that devalues every sleeping and waking second you own it. I prefer to own it in the cheapest way possible, especially since like most Americans, I get rid of new cars after 3-4 years.

That being said, I would recommend a zero dollar drive off UNLESS you are doing Lexus Financial's multiple security deposit program. The multiple security deposits are refundable at the end of the lease. If you don't specifically ask or see it in your paperwork you're probably actually paying a down payment on the lease. If you drive the car off the lot and get T-boned and the car is totaled 30 minutes into ownership, you lose your down payment... you don't lose multiple security deposits. Some dealers are a PIA about the MSD's, even saying "we don't do those"... I can assure you Lexus Financial is one of the few dealer finance companies that does it. The dealer would much rather have a traditional down payment though.

That all being said, a lease is just a math calculation. If you know the price of the car (negotiated first of course!), the Lexus Financial published money factor, and the Lexus Financial published residual, you can calculate your own lease payment. Some dealers will attempt to mark up the money factor to make money (money factor is equivalent to the interest rate), if they do... walk.

In my case, it was actually cheaper to get a Luxury with all the options over an Ultra Luxury that was the same price. Ultra Lux sometimes has a worse published residual. Unfortunately, the ES appears to not really have any amazing lease programs. My 2019 is one of the worst leases in terms of monthly cost vs total price of the vehicle I've ever paid. Very little incentives, no conquest cash, Money Factor not really low. A 5 Series was going to have been cheaper and maybe even a E Class too (never an Audi though, their leases are horrible), but I did it because I liked the car, it's bigger than the 530e, and E Class, and I liked the Hybrid drivetrain. It's odd that they aren't more aggressive, both because of the economy going to *****, and because the ES is their bread and butter volume car, but you do you Lexus.

Edmunds Forums where you can ask what the Lexus Financial terms are for the model/mileage you want: https://forums.edmunds.com/discussio...-and-prices/p5
MSD Program: https://www.lexusfinancial.com/us/en...g_a_lexus.html
Lease Hacker website: https://leasehackr.com/

The following 3 users liked this post by aygriffith:
EastTNLex (05-29-20), energy88 (05-29-20), GunnyFitz (05-29-20)
Old 05-29-20, 07:26 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by aygriffith
It's actually an awful expense that devalues every sleeping and waking second you own it. I prefer to own it in the cheapest way possible, especially since like most Americans, I get rid of new cars after 3-4 years.
Interesting, most information I see on the average age of cars still on the road show it's been increasing steadily to roughly 11.8 years old now. This would seem to contradict your statement about "most Americans" getting rid of cars after 3-4 years?

Quick Reply: 2019 ES350 Best prices paid so far?