ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Oil changes - every 10,000 miles? Even the first??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 05:55 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by CLightning
The courtesy sticker on the windshield says:
87,800 miles
2/4/21

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the written date on these stickers supposed to state the mileage/date for the next recommend oil change and not the mileage/date when it was performed?
The current mileage on the car is 97,800 miles as of around 1/6/24 which means the last oil change was done 20K miles ago(@77,800 mileage) and almost four years ago! (recommended date on the sticker minus one year). So yeah that explains why it sludged up like that.
I've seen times when the sticker indicates the mileage at which they changed the oil. Other times next recommended. 20k would be pushing it but I'm certain there are some that would argue it's no issue with a quality synthetic.
Old 01-08-24, 11:30 AM
xmlstarks
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Got it. I really meant Fuel dilution, which is caused by:

Fuel Dilution -- The Cause, Effect, and Detection

Fuel Dilution is the thinning of engine oil by gasoline or diesel fuel. During the service life of the engine oil, some amount of fuel dilution is inevitable, but several factors can cause excessive dilution:

• Dirty or leaking fuel injectors
  • Worn piston rings/excessive blow-by
  • Incomplete combustion
  • Low operating temperatures
  • Frequent short-trip driving
  • Excessive idle time
  • Gasoline direct injection
Some modes of service are inherently more prone to fuel dilution: Taxi fleets, emergency vehicles, and delivery trucks, for example, are all likely to experience excessive idle times and stop-and-go driving which are conditions that prevent the oil from warming enough to evaporate any accumulated fuel.

Gasoline direct injection (GDI) is another cause of fuel dilution. This is a relatively new fuel technology to improve engine efficiency by injecting fuel directly into the cylinder, allowing for tighter control of the combustion event. It can leave the engine more prone to dilution if the fuel washes past the rings into the oil sump.
Old 01-08-24, 11:43 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 999 Likes on 751 Posts

Why I see these .files?
The memory stick has been formatted and then I transfered the files.
Also, I have big trouble with skipping the tracks backwards.

Old 01-08-24, 01:59 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 518 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
Why I see these .files?
The memory stick has been formatted and then I transfered the files.
Also, I have big trouble with skipping the tracks backwards.
Way off topic for this thread; should be moved to a new thread.

That said, .filename named files are files normal hidden from users on some operating system's file system file listings. For example, the Mac OS uses .filename named files for all sorts of things. Those .filename files usually contain essential information needed to support some application or operating system function which normal users needn't be confused/know about and possibly interfere with normal functioning by deleting all the strange, unknown files.

Without knowing the operating system (e.g., Linux, MacOS, Windows), the music playing/library organizing program you're using on the operating system, and the method you're using to copy the music files onto the USB flash drive it is hard to determine exactly what those ._song name files are used for and the "safe" means to avoid copying them onto the USB flash drive. (The ._song name files may be intended to be cover art for the song. If so, a "safe" way to fix the issue is to make a copy of all those files, then embed the cover art ._song files into the song files, and then copy the result files onto your USB flash drive.)
Old 03-01-24, 08:10 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

I just did my second OIL change at 2,694mi (6 months); the first one was at 1,300mi. I'm sending this 2nd to BlackStoneLabs to see how the metals dropped within the same oil millage usage. I just wanted to flush out the most metals on the initial ICE wear. After that I was planing on every 6mo interval regardless of millage as I don't mind the extra cost. But just came to a recent article where BlackStoneLabs found that time does not appears to affect oil characteristics/composition/protection on engines that does not allows moisture inside. Apparently a 14yr old bottle of Mobil 1 shelf-sitting tested just fine. A 2020 Ford F-150 with the 3.5-liter of 5yr oil sitting also tested fine.

Article: Motor Oil Age Doesn’t Matter as Much as Mileage: Study

I was thinking that in a Hybrid the oil millage should be much less than the odometer reading because when EV is engaged the ICE is technically off so the OIL is not degrading. Does that make sense?

Since I'm a low millage although severe conditions driver; I'll probably end at 5-6k miles at year end. Maybe even at (severe conditions) I'll just keep the interval at every year or 5-6k miles.

Here is my first report:

Old 03-01-24, 08:17 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,806 Posts

But is there more wear on the ICE engine oil in a hybrid due to the frequent stop starts? I don't know.
The following users liked this post:
scubapr (03-01-24)
Old 03-01-24, 08:42 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts

Back in the days when gas was $0.15 and manufacturers recommended oil change was 3000 miles the consensus was to change at 1000 miles. Today with technological advances in both engine and oil our recommended oil change is at 10000 miles. With so many saying to do it earlier it would be better to have experts proving manufacturers wrong to change the recommendation which there are none. All sorts of tests can be posted here but does that have any effect on the end life of the engine with proof? I have seen like the car care video which showed an engine taken apart but did that make any difference in oil usage or mpg or end life of engine?

Last edited by alextv; 03-01-24 at 09:27 AM.
scubapr (03-01-24)
Old 03-01-24, 12:40 PM
xmlstarks
Driver

Originally Posted by alextv
Back in the days when gas was $0.15 and manufacturers recommended oil change was 3000 miles the consensus was to change at 1000 miles. Today with technological advances in both engine and oil our recommended oil change is at 10000 miles. With so many saying to do it earlier it would be better to have experts proving manufacturers wrong to change the recommendation which there are none. All sorts of tests can be posted here but does that have any effect on the end life of the engine with proof? I have seen like the car care video which showed an engine taken apart but did that make any difference in oil usage or mpg or end life of engine?
Then watch The Motor Oil Geek here and he is an expert!

AVOID the ONE MISTAKE Almost EVERYONE Makes With A Brand New Car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6nWCQ_70J0&t=9s
Old 03-01-24, 01:19 PM
alextv
Instructor

What the video is showing is like all of the tests posted that there is wear and from the first second the car is cranked it starts its life cycle. What I am talking about is take an engine at say 100k miles with oil change every 5k miles and one every 10k miles is there any difference in oil use, mpg, performance, etc. There is no disputing particles in the oil and that causes wear but is it making any difference. Toyota and other manufacturers say no. I am wide open to changing my thinking if there is absolute proof Toyota is wrong. This is my opinion only and changing oil early for peace of mind would be fine.
scubapr (03-01-24)
Old 03-01-24, 01:31 PM
xmlstarks
Driver

Just remember after 3 years or 36,000 miles, it's on you not Toyota. So, if you are going to keep your car for more than 100,000 miles, I would follow Scotty Kilmer, The Car Care Nut, and The Motor Oil Geek's advice and change the oil after the first 1,000 miles and then every 5,000 miles or six-months, whichever occurs first. Oil & filters are cheap, engines are not. You can find an Independent car specific mechanic to do the work for you at a reasonable price. If you buy a car every three years, then it doesn't matter follow the manufacturer's schedule (They [the dealer] could give a rats A$$, once it is out of warranty). The car will depreciate the fastest in the first three years anyway, so, it's more than "peace of mind" IMO. GLTU!
The following 2 users liked this post by xmlstarks:
hotwings (03-01-24), scubapr (03-01-24)
Old 03-01-24, 01:45 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 518 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by xmlstarks
Just remember after 3 years or 36,000 miles, it's on you not Toyota. ...
Where did you get that from.

Basic ES warranty is 48 months or 50000 miles which ever comes first. The power train warranty, which includes the engine, is 72 months or 70000 miles which ever comes first.
scubapr (03-01-24)
Old 03-01-24, 01:59 PM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by xmlstarks
Scotty Kilmer, The Car Care Nut, and The Motor Oil Geek's advice and change the oil after the first 1,000 miles and then every 5,000 miles or six-months, whichever occurs first. Oil & filters are cheap, engines are not....
I plan to keep the car long term and don't mind the oil change cost. I'm no mechanic, but as an Engineer I do agree with Scotty Kilmer, The Car Care Nut, The Motor Oil Geek's and other fellow members of this forum. Nevertheless based on the recent BlackStoneLabs findings and my low millage driving I'm rethinking if I should change every six months (by time) given that at 6M the oil will have probably less than 2,500mi of use.

Although as @mikemu30 said "probably there more wear on the ICE engine oil in a hybrid due to the frequent stop starts".
xmlstarks (03-01-24)
Old 03-01-24, 02:19 PM
xmlstarks
Driver

Right from Toyota's website:
The factory coverage warranty period begins on the vehicle’s in-service date, which is the first date the vehicle is either delivered to the original purchaser, lessor, or used as a company car or demonstration vehicle.
  • Basic Coverage is 36 months/36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date of first use and covers all components other than normal wear and maintenance items. This warranty covers repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship or any part supplied by Toyota, subject to exceptions.
  • Powertrain Coverage is 60 months/60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date of first use and includes engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel-drive system and rear-wheel drive system.
  • Rust-Through Coverage is 60 months/unlimited miles, from the date of first use regardless of mileage and covers corrosion perforation of sheet metal.
  • Emissions Coverage varies under Federal and California regulations. Refer to your Warranty and Maintenance Guide booklet for complete details.
Now Lexus is 4-years, I understand that.
Old 03-01-24, 02:59 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 355 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by scubapr
I plan to keep the car long term and don't mind the oil change cost. I'm no mechanic, but as an Engineer I do agree with Scotty Kilmer, The Car Care Nut, The Motor Oil Geek's and other fellow members of this forum. Nevertheless based on the recent BlackStoneLabs findings and my low millage driving I'm rethinking if I should change every six months (by time) given that at 6M the oil will have probably less than 2,500mi of use.

Although as @mikemu30 said "probably there more wear on the ICE engine oil in a hybrid due to the frequent stop starts".
The thing in the report that argue against that is the TBN. That oil is not worn, and has a huge reserve against oxidation. Today’s oils are massively more buffered than older oils that necessitated the time as well as mileage change interval. I can see from that report that oil is basically like new, given the Mg, Zn, P, B levels. If that represents six months of use, I’d leave it in at least another year. Then do another test as it will likely come out fine again.

The wear in hybrids from start-stop is massively over-rated. It is not a cold start each time. Also, starting and going under load vs. starting cold and idling is not the same - the latter is MUCH more wear. It is not the big deal it is made out to be, and oil analysis proves that.
Old 03-01-24, 03:17 PM
alextv
Instructor

As gpr52 said the power train warranty is 72 months or 70000 miles whichever comes first. This is the 7th gen ES forum. Nobody can dispute there has got to be more wear and you would think that would make a difference but does it in reality make any difference for the longevity of the engine and that is the question. There are an enormous amount of engineers from the manufacturer side and oil side that say 10000 mile change. I have seen that most mechanics will change there own oil early. I am sure at 100k miles if you measure inside diameter of piston wall with a micrometer there probably would be a difference but does that make a difference in what you are used to?

Quick Reply: Oil changes - every 10,000 miles? Even the first??