ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Oil changes - every 10,000 miles? Even the first??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-24, 03:17 PM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro
The thing in the report that argue against that is the TBN. That oil is not worn, and has a huge reserve against oxidation. Today’s oils are massively more buffered than older oils that necessitated the time as well as mileage change interval. I can see from that report that oil is basically like new, given the Mg, Zn, P, B levels. If that represents six months of use, I’d leave it in at least another year. Then do another test as it will likely come out fine again.

The wear in hybrids from start-stop is massively over-rated. It is not a cold start each time. Also, starting and going under load vs. starting cold and idling is not the same - the latter is MUCH more wear. It is not the big deal it is made out to be, and oil analysis proves that.
Thanks! My first 2 changes were done to get out most of the initial engine break-in wear metals (Iron, Copper, Si). As soon as I get my new report I'll compare the metals reduction given the almost same 1,300mi interval. I'll probably keep under the severe conditions 5k/6M int. unless I'm under 2,000mi oil @ 6M then 1yr.
The following users liked this post:
xmlstarks (03-03-24)
Old 03-01-24, 03:19 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by scubapr
I'm rethinking if I should change every six months (by time) given that at 6M the oil will have probably less than 2,500mi of use.
Project Farm performed tests to see if it was ok to go a full year without changing oil
My take-away was that I will keep changing oil every 12 months when driving low miles and not sweat it if I go even longer.
scubapr (03-01-24)
Old 03-01-24, 03:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,001 Likes on 2,523 Posts

Has there ever been a correlation with doing oil chemistry tests and maintaining good engine health? Let's say you test every oil change, that one time you looked at the results and realized, oh snap I have to change my oil more often. Well by then it is too late isn't it.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
jgscott (03-02-24), scubapr (03-01-24)
Old 03-01-24, 09:07 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,033 Likes on 768 Posts

Oil can easily handle the 10000 mile mark but these days the engines have a new problem and it is called oil dilution (especially the engines with high compression/direct injection/short trips). The engine will wear out very easily. The other problen is the small particles in oil which can wear the chain and other components because they are abrasive.
The following 2 users liked this post by ESh:
losiglow (03-06-24), TerryNVA (03-03-24)
Old 03-02-24, 07:40 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts

I think exactly like that.^^^^ I'm sure these new oils should last 10-15k+ miles easily but fuel dilution and metals during break-in period could be an issue on the long term. There should also be an "Engine Hours" odometer on cars so you change oil at X hrs or X miles whichever come first. In traffic the mileage is low but the engine is still running (not necessarily on hybrids) thus degrading the oil. Perhaps this is why the "Severe Conditions" in the manual specifies 6mo or 5K mi.

Based on the BlackStoneLabs study, my guess is that if I only do 5k miles in 2 years, technically the oil should be in similar wear-in condition as 5k in 6 months. Apparently now days, engines doesn't allow oil moisture easily. So in theory I could change my oil every 2 years in a similar scenario; although fuel dilution will be higher due to low millage use.

Of course, my car is new and has complementary services (free) for 4 years. So every 12 months or 10k mi they will change the oil for free for the next 4 years. I would only need to pay for those intermediate 6mo/5k oil changes; and it's cheap insurance for a long keeper. Anyway, I'm still wandering if I arrive at the 6mo/5k interval with only 2-3k (hybrid miles) in the oil will that change still make sense.
Old 03-02-24, 10:16 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 164 Posts

I agree with a whole lot of what is being said here but does it make a difference. Rings, bearings, seals and anything oil touches is affected with rings bearing the brunt of a neglected engine which can be seen by cars burning oil going down the road. In the oil days it was quite common to see smoke coming from cars almost every day. Today I think I may see 1 every 2 months and I am sure it is a small percentage that change there oil early out of the thousands of cars I see everyday. Technology is what changed this.
My personal experience is with two other vehicles besides my 2020 ES300h. I still have my 2001 LS430 UL with 185000 miles and valve cover leaking slightly but no burning oil and between oil changes only down around 3/16 inch. Gas mileage on highway is 25 down from 26 only because switched to 87 octane gas years ago. Performance is exactly the same as when I switched fuel. My 2008 Tundra has 148000 miles with very little visible change on dip stick between oil changes. Performance and gas mileage have stayed consistent after break in period. I use manufacturers recommendations. When I say no burning oil I mean no apparent evidence because there is always a minute amount that slips by.
scubapr (03-02-24)
Old 03-02-24, 02:20 PM
xmlstarks
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Understand, just quoting Toyota's factory warranty by mistake. Lexus is higher for a reason and we pay for it. LOL
Old 03-02-24, 10:14 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by scubapr
Thanks! My first 2 changes were done to get out most of the initial engine break-in wear metals (Iron, Copper, Si). As soon as I get my new report I'll compare the metals reduction given the almost same 1,300mi interval. I'll probably keep under the severe conditions 5k/6M int. unless I'm under 2,000mi oil @ 6M then 1yr.
Ah! I missed that this was early miles. My bad stepping in late. You are very smart to do that. If I bought a new car I’d change at 500, 1500, and then go on my regular OCI. There is very solid science on this (not necessarily exactly what I said, but a few very early changes). There was a white paper on this with a big-city Bus fleet who did this (I think it as Sacatomatoes but I may be wrong). Huge difference in reliability once those vehicles where miled-up. I sadly did not bookmark it; I think it was in the Journal of Machinery Lubrication (yes, that’s a real thing) about 10 years ago.

Good for you, smart stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oro:
TerryNVA (03-03-24), xmlstarks (03-03-24)
Old 03-05-24, 05:41 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

I have 120K miles on my 2001 Tundra. I've done synthetic oil changes with premium filters every 5K miles, or 12 mo. I never take short trips, or even move a vehicle a short distance, without driving it up to operating temp. I replaced the Tundra's valve cover gaskets recently and was pleasantly surprised to find the valve train looked shiny-brand-new, and there was zero varnish inside the covers. I burn no oil between changes and the 2UZ runs and revs like a dream. Not bad for a 23-year-old truck!

I expect this kind of outcome from a Toyota or Lexus that gets regular maintenance. I've been driving Toyotas since 1980 and Lexus vehicles since 2011, and have stuck with 5K oil changes. So far, none of these vehicles have ever noticeably burned any oil. My Honda and Chevy, on the other hand, burned oil in spite of 5K changes!

Toyota has accomplished an incredible feat in designing and building engines that don't burn oil. One simply has to do their part to maintain their Toyota/Lexus to reap the benefit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilson2000:
mikemu30 (03-06-24), xmlstarks (03-06-24)
Old 03-07-24, 08:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000

Toyota has accomplished an incredible feat in designing and building engines that don't burn oil. One simply has to do their part to maintain their Toyota/Lexus to reap the benefit.
To be fair, there are Toyotas that do burn oil. Ask a lot of the 2006-2014 Camry guys. CCN did a video on this.

To be fair again, you'll have lots of guys from all sorts of brands who both swear their car doesn't burn oil and those who say they do. Including Honda, who makes great engines.

But your point taken is changing your oil frequently is always better than not, regardless of brand. These oil threads on all brands always go forever because it's one issue guys can latch onto and have control over. On the BMW boards I was on, these threads would go on forever and ever. LOL.

It's simple though.

Change oil more>change oil less. Only downside=extra cost of the oil. I go with this method (if I drive an ICE car) because time machines don't exist!
xmlstarks (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 11:29 AM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Related to topic. What is your opinion? I have a 2022 ICE ES350. Picked it up in late 2022 with 1,800ish miles. Had the complimentary oil changed in March 2023 (1 year from when car was sold to first owner) with approximately 2000 miles on the odometer. Not a daily driver by any stretch. It's now March of 2024 and the car has 2,800 miles on it (800 miles in the last year). Would you recommend an annual oil change regardless of miles?
Old 03-07-24, 12:15 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 499 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by MAMOSKO
Related to topic. What is your opinion? I have a 2022 ICE ES350. Picked it up in late 2022 with 1,800ish miles. Had the complimentary oil changed in March 2023 (1 year from when car was sold to first owner) with approximately 2000 miles on the odometer. Not a daily driver by any stretch. It's now March of 2024 and the car has 2,800 miles on it (800 miles in the last year). Would you recommend an annual oil change regardless of miles?
Absolutley yes. Not because of the miles but because of the passage of one year. Waiting past that one year point could be used by Lexus to invalidate your warranty. 10,000 miles or one year, which ever comes FIRST. I personally do 5,000 miles or 6 months, which ever comes first but that’s a personal thing. Get your oil and filter changed ASAP.
xmlstarks (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 12:17 PM
xmlstarks
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

From consumer reports: It’s not just about miles: If you don’t drive your car a lot, your oil still needs to be kept fresh. Even if you drive fewer miles each year than your automaker suggests for changing the oil (say, 6,000 miles, with suggested oil-change intervals at 7,500 miles), you should still be getting that oil changed twice a year.

Note: TWICE per year.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...ice%20a%20year.
Old 03-07-24, 04:14 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 555 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by xmlstarks
From consumer reports: It’s not just about miles: If you don’t drive your car a lot, your oil still needs to be kept fresh. Even if you drive fewer miles each year than your automaker suggests for changing the oil (say, 6,000 miles, with suggested oil-change intervals at 7,500 miles), you should still be getting that oil changed twice a year.

Note: TWICE per year.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...ice%20a%20year.
You're ignoring the overriding context in that article:
“Your owner’s manual has more detailed information about your car than any mechanic does,” Ibbotson says. “Don’t get talked into too-often oil changes. Follow the manual and your car’s engine should stay well-lubricated and perform well.”
The XXXX Lexus ES 350, ES 250 Warranty and Services Guide has the detailed information the article advises you to follow for oil change intervals - special operating conditions: every six months or 5,000 miles which ever comes first; otherwise: every 12 months or 10,000 miles which ever comes first.

Since the Lexus Services Guide includes time intervals for oil changing that covers Consumer Reports' "keeping the oil fresh" advisement.
Old 03-07-24, 04:28 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Absolutley yes. Not because of the miles but because of the passage of one year. Waiting past that one year point could be used by Lexus to invalidate your warranty. 10,000 miles or one year, which ever comes FIRST. I personally do 5,000 miles or 6 months, which ever comes first but that’s a personal thing. Get your oil and filter changed ASAP.
I agree, but only because the vehicle is still under warranty. I have several vehicles past warranty that only get 2-3K miles per year, and I feel a one-year interval is fine. That said, I never take short trips or move my vehicle even a few feet without driving it to operating temperature, so I never have much condensation building up in my crankcase (which contaminates the oil). Too, I only use the best synthetic oils and premium filters.
dklanecky1 (03-08-24)

Quick Reply: Oil changes - every 10,000 miles? Even the first??