ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Oil changes - every 10,000 miles? Even the first??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-23, 09:41 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

If you really want to see how well oil is doing after 10,000 miles run the engine for the duration without a filter.
Old 10-06-23, 12:30 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,133 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
i agree with you...with the 5k intervals, wasn't that based on using conventional/standard oil? if the debate is really 5k vs 10k interval, isn't there a benefit by going with a better quality synthetic oil? if i was using dino oil i would for sure stay on 5k, but with synthetic tech, it lets me sleep at night with a 10k oci
Absolutely accurate. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, all recommend 10,000 mi oil changes. All use only synthetic oil. Mobil 1 recommends 10,000 mi interval changes. All would much rather have more of our money at 5,000 mile changes. I will put more trust in the manufacturers of these vehicles and oil sorry than anybody's experience on this forum. Driven six Lexus models over one million miles with 10,000 mile oil changes and of course no engine problems.
The following 3 users liked this post by Freds430:
BillUK (10-07-23), kamlung (10-06-23), LS500Fan (10-06-23)
Old 10-06-23, 12:43 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 131 Posts

I am still waiting for an evidence of Mobil1 or other oils stating 10k, 20k, or 25k oil change interval paying a single warranty claim. Maybe you have not noticed, but there is a little (*) next to these claims, go and read the fine print.
Old 10-06-23, 02:39 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
If you really want to see how well oil is doing after 10,000 miles run the engine for the duration without a filter.
what would that prove? You suggesting run it with no filter and the oil sprays out on the ground or a dummy filter with the media removed?

Originally Posted by tolian21
I am still waiting for an evidence of Mobil1 or other oils stating 10k, 20k, or 25k oil change interval paying a single warranty claim. Maybe you have not noticed, but there is a little (*) next to these claims, go and read the fine print.
Some quick Google fu on my part couldn’t find the converse of this either. So I’m still waiting on evidence someone went over 10k miles on Mobil1 and had an engine failure due to failure of oil.

Last edited by BBQapple; 10-06-23 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-06-23, 04:10 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 59 Posts

[QUOTE=BBQapple;11591379]You suggesting run it with no filter and the oil sprays out on the ground or a dummy filter with the media removed?

Our cars have cartridge filters, not spin-on filters.

Old 10-06-23, 04:17 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by BBQapple
Some quick Google fu on my part couldn’t find the converse of this either. So I’m still waiting on evidence someone went over 10k miles on Mobil1 and had an engine failure due to failure of oil.
there are plenty of cases engines failing due to excessive wear and owners following manual. I watch broken engine tear downs on youtube, many followed dealer OCI but look slugged and fail due to excessive wear.
You will then say to prove it failed because of oil interval and not a bad design or other problem. Right, I dont have a proof for that…. But I have seen enough to make an educated choice of what works for me
Old 10-06-23, 09:52 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

[QUOTE=Denzlex;11591434]
Originally Posted by BBQapple
You suggesting run it with no filter and the oil sprays out on the ground or a dummy filter with the media removed?

Our cars have cartridge filters, not spin-on filters.

V6 yes, I4 no.
Old 10-06-23, 10:01 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Originally Posted by tolian21
there are plenty of cases engines failing due to excessive wear and owners following manual. I watch broken engine tear downs on youtube, many followed dealer OCI but look slugged and fail due to excessive wear.
You will then say to prove it failed because of oil interval and not a bad design or other problem. Right, I dont have a proof for that…. But I have seen enough to make an educated choice of what works for me
Notvsure what this has to do with Mobil1 and their warranty?
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (10-07-23)
Old 10-06-23, 10:26 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

[QUOTE=ESh;11591537]
Originally Posted by Denzlex

V6 yes, I4 no.
Didn’t know that. Thanks. I wonder what the rhyme or reason is for that. My 2014 Camry I4 has a cartridge filter. I assumed Toyota/ Lexus didn’t do the spin-ons anymore.

Last edited by Denzlex; 10-06-23 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-07-23, 07:19 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
First off, I'd like to say that, despite making my own choice on 10k intervals, like most (if not all), I don't know what the answer is, and so am interested in the arguments both for an against various oil change intervals, beyond what just feels right. In that regard, I think what would be a more useful comparison for people, at least in the context of this discussion, would be to do as you suggest, but then also run an engine for 5000 miles without a filter, and then compare how well each oil sample/engine is doing.

I think that most people would agree that even a good quality synthetic would show some signs of degradation after 10k miles. However, what we don't know is how different that would be to 5k miles. Clearly there'd be a difference, but it's the amount of difference that matters, and whether it's meaningful in terms of performance and engine protection. Without knowing that then you just have those saying that 10k is fine as, whilst it obviously degrades over time/usage, it remains within spec to provide the required protection; and those who say it degrades sufficiently after 5k to cause harm.

The only evidence for each side that I'm aware of is that manufactuers, oil producers and oil analysis of good quality synthetics, point to the oil being fine at 10k under normal usage, compared to anecdotal evidence of youtube videos showing sludged up or failed engines, that don't have a history of the usage, OCIs, type of oil used, or even if it was filled to the correct levels.

Now, it may be true that an engine will fail with 10k intervals, where one with 5k changes won't, but without any meaaningful evidence to support it, then 5k changes to me are a bit like Pascal's wager for oii, in that the cost of believing it's true is outweighed by the potential cost of not believing. I suppose that's fair enough perspective, which I can understand if it gives people peace of mind, even though I remain "agnostic" on the matter.
Old 10-07-23, 08:19 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by BillUK
Fl

Now, it may be true that an engine will fail with 10k intervals, where one with 5k changes won't, but without any meaaningful evidence to support it, then 5k changes to me are a bit like Pascal's wager for oii, in that the cost of believing it's true is outweighed by the potential cost of not believing. I suppose that's fair enough perspective, which I can understand if it gives people peace of mind, even though I remain "agnostic" on the matter.
You missed the point that there is no single rule that applies to all. For some folks driving 10k is perfectly fine, but for others its not. The owner manual recommends 5k for severe service.
As it was explained before, it all depends on individual driving patterns, highway, idling, cold starts in freezing temp and etc. Invest time into oil testing and seeing if you qualify for severe service or not. This is all just speculation if you have no data that is specific to your usage.
Old 10-07-23, 10:22 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

I liked the old BMW system where the computer would count fuel injector cycles to determine when next oil change is due. So a hard use or lots of idling person would be recommended more frequent changes.
Old 10-07-23, 10:36 AM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

I found it's funny that a lot of people here who is debating about 500mile, 1k, 2k 3k, 5k, 7.5k or 10k miles oil-change interval while they driving like 2000 miles per year LOL.

My 19ES is now at 70K miles and I did my first oil change at around 9K, after that it is mostly 7.5K but sometimes 9K -10K too.

No oil burn yet, oil is always as clean as when I first got it at 15 mile on odometer whenever I check the dipstick (I check it weekly on Sunday), I'll let you guys know if there any issues soon
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (10-07-23)
Old 10-07-23, 03:50 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by july1988
I found it's funny that a lot of people here who is debating about 500mile, 1k, 2k 3k, 5k, 7.5k or 10k miles oil-change interval while they driving like 2000 miles per year LOL.

My 19ES is now at 70K miles and I did my first oil change at around 9K, after that it is mostly 7.5K but sometimes 9K -10K too.

No oil burn yet, oil is always as clean as when I first got it at 15 mile on odometer whenever I check the dipstick (I check it weekly on Sunday), I'll let you guys know if there any issues soon
Shouldn’t somebody who drives drives only 2,000 miles a year change their oil every 2,000 miles?

Your oil is as clean at 10k miles as it was when new? How are you checking the cleanliness of your oil?
Old 10-07-23, 08:03 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Denzlex
Shouldn’t somebody who drives drives only 2,000 miles a year change their oil every 2,000 miles?

Your oil is as clean at 10k miles as it was when new? How are you checking the cleanliness of your oil?
I hope they do , what I'm saying is that if you only drove 10K miles in the last 4/5 years it's pretty irrelevant to debate, just change it every 12 months.

I visually check my oil weekly and I DYI sometimes (once at around 35K and once at ~60K) so I can inspect the overall undercarriage and suspension myself, I let a dealer do it mostly. I don't see anything crazy like color change or dirtiness, no oil burn whatsoever, YET.... to me that's pretty good.

Quick Reply: Oil changes - every 10,000 miles? Even the first??