ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Oil changes - every 10,000 miles? Even the first??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 06:11 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Would love to see someone like Jay Leno do an experiment with thirty identical bench mounted engines testing different oil change intervals to a half million miles equivalent

Last edited by BBQapple; 10-12-23 at 06:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Marc780 (12-02-23)
Old 10-12-23, 07:17 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I get paid to repair vehicles that means everything I say is not valid.
Again I only said "CC Nut is a Paid You Tuber" _____________________.

You guys keep adding to my statements and filling in extra blanks. Not me.
Old 10-15-23, 12:10 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Again I only said "CC Nut is a Paid You Tuber" _____________________.

You guys keep adding to my statements and filling in extra blanks. Not me.
He has a new video out about a bad transmission at 100k miles and he blames it on lack of fluid changes. He makes it seem like all Toyotas without transmission fluid changes will fail like his transmission. Here I am who has driven 4 Lexus with over a million miles combined and never changed the transmission fluid and not one has failed. This guy loves taking one bad example and manipulating the verbiage to make it sound like 100s of them are failing. The guy has sold his Toyota mechanic soul for $$$. This is why you can't take anything on YouTube seriously. Everybody out there selling their soul for $$$. The best at this is Scotty Kilmer.
LS500Fan (10-15-23)
Old 10-15-23, 01:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,001 Likes on 2,523 Posts

Let me make this crystal clear, change your oil every 10,000 miles nothing will go wrong. Never change your transmission fluid it is lifetime which means literally forever. Your car won't end up in a salvage yard so I can harvest body parts because it died of neglect.
Old 10-15-23, 04:46 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
He has a new video out about a bad transmission at 100k miles and he blames it on lack of fluid changes. He makes it seem like all Toyotas without transmission fluid changes will fail like his transmission. Here I am who has driven 4 Lexus with over a million miles combined and never changed the transmission fluid and not one has failed. This guy loves taking one bad example and manipulating the verbiage to make it sound like 100s of them are failing. The guy has sold his Toyota mechanic soul for $$$. This is why you can't take anything on YouTube seriously. Everybody out there selling their soul for $$$. The best at this is Scotty Kilmer.
You are totally misrepresenting the video. He made it very clear repeatedly that this is construction truck with severe service miles. Over100k miles equivalent to 300k miles. No way did he imply that 100’s of transmissions are failing. Comparing this guy to Kilmer is a joke.

They replaced tranny because that is what customer wanted considering many different factors vs just replacing TC.

Last edited by artbuc; 10-15-23 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-15-23, 05:50 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 60 Posts

Seems you like to gamble. If you think it’s wise to go 250,000 miles without changing your transmission fluid, I’d say you’re part of a very small minority.
Old 10-15-23, 07:25 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Originally Posted by artbuc
You are totally misrepresenting the video. He made it very clear repeatedly that this is construction truck with severe service miles. Over100k miles equivalent to 300k miles. No way did he imply that 100’s of transmissions are failing. Comparing this guy to Kilmer is a joke.

They replaced tranny because that is what customer wanted considering many different factors vs just replacing TC.
Ya it's a construction truck but he made it clear that the car only had 100k miles and NEVER having the transmission fluid changed. He's absolutely wrong insinuating that the transmission failed due to lack of fluid changes. At 100k miles I call bull**** on that insinuation. Many factors can cause a transmission to fail but he made it clear what caused it to fail.
Old 10-15-23, 07:28 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Originally Posted by Denzlex
Seems you like to gamble. If you think it’s wise to go 250,000 miles without changing your transmission fluid, I’d say you’re part of a very small minority.
No I just like to follow my maintenance schedule that the MANUFACTURER provided for me. Been doing 10000 mile oil changes since 2007 and never an engine failure nor oil consumption. I have also done used oil analysis on every oil change since 2002 and never a bad report. I have 2 oil analysis on my 2021 Es300h posted here and both are normal with 10k miles each. Also never changed my transmission fluid and never a transmission failure. I will listen to TOYOTA before I listen to a YouTube know it all mechanic.

Last edited by kingofire; 10-15-23 at 07:31 PM.
LS500Fan (10-15-23)
Old 10-15-23, 07:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota doesn't give a damn about your car after the warranty expires. Extended OCI's are used by auto makers as marketing.
Marc780 (12-02-23)
Old 10-15-23, 08:47 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Toyota doesn't give a damn about your car after the warranty expires. Extended OCI's are used by auto makers as marketing.
Yes they do. If many Toyotas were breaking down after 50k miles no one would keep buying them. Toyota built it's reputation on reliability and many people on this forum choose to buy Lexus over the German counterparts because of it's legendary reliability. . Just ask Ford , GM etc why their customers were leaving them and buying Japanese
Old 10-15-23, 09:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Yes they do. If many Toyotas were breaking down after 50k miles no one would keep buying them. Toyota built it's reputation on reliability and many people on this forum choose to buy Lexus over the German counterparts because of it's legendary reliability. . Just ask Ford , GM etc why their customers were leaving them and buying Japanese
Lifetime fluid.

Old 10-16-23, 02:37 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Ya it's a construction truck but he made it clear that the car only had 100k miles and NEVER having the transmission fluid changed. He's absolutely wrong insinuating that the transmission failed due to lack of fluid changes. At 100k miles I call bull**** on that insinuation. Many factors can cause a transmission to fail but he made it clear what caused it to fail.
He did not insinuate anything. He stated a fact. You are letting your confirmation bias cloud your thinking. Are you a mind reader?

Toyota does not define “lifetime” but they recommend replacing “lifetime” atf at 60k miles if you tow. So, how does heavy daily construction use (low miles with heavy loads) compare to “normal” driving and towing?

Last edited by artbuc; 10-16-23 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-16-23, 04:38 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

To be fair, shorter OCIs are used by dealers, garages and oil companies as marketing. They don't give a damn about your wallet, and just want to sell their product/service.

With normal use and good quality synthetic, I think 12month/10k OCIs, and transmission fluid every 70/80k or so, is fine. Obviously more frequently if usage/conditions warrant it. I changed my transmission fluid when I bought my car, at 96k, and the garage said the old fluid was fine and probably didn't need changing. Over here no-one changes oil more than once a year, and I've never known anyone's engine to fail because of it. Surely Lexus/Toyota, or someone would notice if this was happening much more frequently in Europe, where longer OCIs are the norm.

Sure, engines do fail from time to time, and some of these will have had 10k OCIs, but some would have had much longer OCIs, and some would have had 5k OCIs, and no-one seems to have any data on how offen it was the OCI that caused the problem, or the difference in failure rate between differing OCIs. Without that, it's largely a matter of guesswork and common sense.

Personally, I'd be more concerned with the qualiity of oil and filter, as welll as making sure the oil level is correct, than I would be about how often it's changed. That's just me though, and others should do what makes them happy.
Old 10-16-23, 08:57 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Well that is one out of how many Toyotas sold? If the lifetime fluid was causing catastrophic failure you better believe it would be in the news and Toyota would have to do a TSB or recall.
Old 10-16-23, 09:09 AM
SugarmillM
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It’s interesting that BillUK says that annual oil changes are the norm in the UK. I wonder if that’s the norm for all car/truck brands there?

Quick Reply: Oil changes - every 10,000 miles? Even the first??