ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Wireless charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 02:00 PM
Erock33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless charger

Has anyone installed the Lexus Wireless phone charget after vehicle purchase for the 2019 E350? My vehicle did not come with it amd am interested on having it installed. Dealership says part is not available and Cehicle had to be ordered with it.
Old 01-22-19, 02:13 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Erock33
Has anyone installed the Lexus Wireless phone charget after vehicle purchase for the 2019 E350? My vehicle did not come with it amd am interested on having it installed. Dealership says part is not available and Cehicle had to be ordered with it.
I have looked at the center console with and without the wireless charger and it seems to me that it's just part of the center console. I think you'd have to replace the entire thing.

Personally I skipped it when I ordered mine since I don't have a phone with wireless charging and wouldn't use that feature even if i did.
Old 01-22-19, 03:15 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,796 Posts

I have a wireless charger at home and its not efficient. Ill stick with the old fashioned corded.
Old 01-22-19, 03:34 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I have the wireless charger in a Camry and it is really slow - I no longer use it.

Dave Mac
Old 01-22-19, 04:56 PM
OIIIIIO13
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have it and no phone fits in it to charge, its a waste, I have had the Avalon, and Camry same issues, you need a Nano sized device to fit.
Old 01-22-19, 06:32 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

The wireless charger works great in our NX. My only concern is that the phone seems to get a bit warm in the charger, warmer than when it sits on the Qi charger at home. I can’t tell that it charges any faster however - so I don’t know if it is a fast charger.
Old 01-22-19, 08:05 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

The charger is really slow and active only when the car is running. I never use it. Instead get a good battery pack. Anker has a good 10000mAh one that you can leave charging in your console and use it when your phone is low. It charges the phone much faster than the wireless or even the USB.

Last edited by AnthonyMJ; 01-22-19 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-23-19, 04:44 AM
ES63
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep, have one too, used it only once so far, works fine . Iphone user ,so found myself using Carplay more often, so plugged in that way most the time.
If it was there when you got the car like mine great , but honestly i wouldnt miss it if it was gone.
Old 01-29-19, 05:21 AM
Mecrens
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't go out of my way to get the wireless charger. I thought it would be nice to have at first and 75.00 seemed reasonable considering add-on to Lexus. The larger phones won't work with it, .ie. iPhone 8+
Old 01-30-19, 06:26 PM
Steve300h
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mecrens
I wouldn't go out of my way to get the wireless charger. I thought it would be nice to have at first and 75.00 seemed reasonable considering add-on to Lexus. The larger phones won't work with it, .ie. iPhone 8+
Or as far as I can tell any phone in any type of case.
Old 01-30-19, 06:42 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

One thing many people don't know is that wireless charging is bad for the battery. I didn't get the wireless charger because even if I did have a phone with wireless charging and the wireless charger was big enough and easy to get to I still wouldn't use it because of how bad it is for the phone battery.
Old 01-30-19, 06:49 PM
Steve300h
Rookie

Originally Posted by jimv1983
One thing many people don't know is that wireless charging is bad for the battery.
Everything I've read says that's an outdated idea. Modern phones and Qi chargers are fine for batteries. Can I ask your source for this?
Old 01-30-19, 07:22 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steve300h
Everything I've read says that's an outdated idea. Modern phones and Qi chargers are fine for batteries. Can I ask your source for this?
Qi chargers use a concept called electromagnetic induction. Electromagnetic induction is much less energy efficient than a physical wire. At least it is with the size of the induction coils that could fit in a phone. And the efficiency can vary greatly depending on how well the coils are aligned. If it isn't aligned perfectly the efficiency can be as low as 30%. Even at perfect coil alignment Qi charging isn't going to get you much more than 60%. Phone cases can lessen the efficiency even more. A wired charger can be about 90% efficiency.

The problem with the decreased efficiency is that more energy is lost as heat. That means the battery is subjected to more heat when wireless charging than it is when charging with a wire and, therefore, gets hotter. The more heat a lithium battery is exposed to over its lifetime the faster it degrades.

There is also another problem that wireless charging causes. When you charge with a wire the wire is charging the phone and also directly powering the phone. During this time the phone isn't drawing from the battery at all(no charge cycles). When wireless charging the phone is still drawing power from the battery to power the phone. This degrades the battery even faster.
Old 01-30-19, 07:55 PM
Steve300h
Rookie

Originally Posted by jimv1983
Qi chargers use a concept called electromagnetic induction. Electromagnetic induction is much less energy efficient than a physical wire. At least it is with the size of the induction coils that could fit in a phone. And the efficiency can vary greatly depending on how well the coils are aligned. If it isn't aligned perfectly the efficiency can be as low as 30%. Even at perfect coil alignment Qi charging isn't going to get you much more than 60%. Phone cases can lessen the efficiency even more. A wired charger can be about 90% efficiency.

The problem with the decreased efficiency is that more energy is lost as heat. That means the battery is subjected to more heat when wireless charging than it is when charging with a wire and, therefore, gets hotter. The more heat a lithium battery is exposed to over its lifetime the faster it degrades.

There is also another problem that wireless charging causes. When you charge with a wire the wire is charging the phone and also directly powering the phone. During this time the phone isn't drawing from the battery at all(no charge cycles). When wireless charging the phone is still drawing power from the battery to power the phone. This degrades the battery even faster.
Is that something you quoted, or something you wrote? If it's a quote can I get the source and when it was written?

Nokia: Does regular wireless charging decrease a smartphone's battery life?

Are there any benefits to wireless charging in regards to the battery of the smartphone?

Last edited by Steve300h; 01-30-19 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-30-19, 08:27 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steve300h
Is that something you quoted, or something you wrote? If it's a quote can I get the source and when it was written?

Nokia: Does regular wireless charging decrease a smartphone's battery life?

Are there any benefits to wireless charging in regards to the battery of the smartphone?

The exact words are my own but the information is from a variety of sources I've come across over the last ~4 years plus my own personal experience that aligns with the data I've come across. One of the responses in one of your sources mentions the same thing as I've said. The battery gets hotter when wireless charging. As another one of those responses points out lithium batteries degrade over time. Heat is a big factor in that.

Heat is basically kyptonite to lithium batteries. That's why Tesla spent such a huge amount of money designing a cooling system for their batteries.

Quick Reply: Wireless charger