ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019 es sports packages? worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 11:25 AM
sa0la0n0i
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 es sports packages? worth it?

hi everyone im new to this club, I just got a 2019 es sports and would like to know if it was a good idea to add all this extras the finance guy recomended me.
*Tire and wheel protection with cosmetic coverage $1495
*8 year/75000 platinum extra care $1995
*5 years/50000 mileage prepaid Maintenance package $1700
Most of the post im reading are saying is not worth it. TIA
Old 01-23-19, 11:49 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

No, it was not a good idea and you might consider going back and cancelling all of them - unless you are really wealthy.

You will enjoy the new car just as much without them.

Dave Mac
The following users liked this post:
sa0la0n0i (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 11:55 AM
billm555
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all due respect, I have to agree 100% with Dave Mac. I would cancel every one of them.
sa0la0n0i (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 12:44 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

You'd be better off donating that $ to a good charity. Prepaid maintenance - oh my goodness.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
herron1 (03-23-19), sa0la0n0i (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 01:54 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with the other commenters with one exception, If you plan to keep the car for a long time, I personally think an official Lexus/Toyota extended warranty is a good deal. However, if you plan to changing cars in another 3 or 4 years, it is a total waste of money. For me, it's just reassuring to know that in year 8, I will have the same no-deductible bumper-to-bumper warranty that I walked out of the store with when I bought the car. Nowadays, it's almost impossible to walk out of a repair shop with a bill of less than $500. Although, I don't think ext warranty was as expensive as yours and mine has unlimited mileage. The only way you get 8 years on that deal is if you drive <9500 miles/year. I'll probably hit 75,000 miles around year 5.
Old 01-23-19, 02:32 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AnthonyMJ
I agree with the other commenters with one exception, If you plan to keep the car for a long time, I personally think an official Lexus/Toyota extended warranty is a good deal. However, if you plan to changing cars in another 3 or 4 years, it is a total waste of money. For me, it's just reassuring to know that in year 8, I will have the same no-deductible bumper-to-bumper warranty that I walked out of the store with when I bought the car. Nowadays, it's almost impossible to walk out of a repair shop with a bill of less than $500. Although, I don't think ext warranty was as expensive as yours and mine has unlimited mileage. The only way you get 8 years on that deal is if you drive <9500 miles/year. I'll probably hit 75,000 miles around year 5.
Did you ever successfully have an extended warranty claim paid?
sa0la0n0i (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 06:26 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Did you ever successfully have an extended warranty claim paid?
With my last GS, I had several covered repairs. There were no forms to fill out or anything. I simply dropped it off for for service, got my loaner, and picked my car up after work. That's why you want it from Lexus, not a third party. I didn't get involved in filing any claims or anything like that. The new warranty is even better now. https://www.lexusfinancial.com/us/en...w_vehicle.html I realize that not everyone needs this. But, I know next to nothing about cars. And I am a pretty heavy driver. A mechanic can tell me pretty much anything and all I hear is, "blah, blah, blah." Where I think it really comes in handy is when you go to sell the car. The Platinum warranty is transferable (I don't know if the others are). I suspect it's much easier to sell a 5 year old car when you can tell the buyer they have a three-year bumper to bumper warranty.
sa0la0n0i (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 06:57 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Go and cancel the sale or somehow get your money back. You were taken advantage of and big time. If this post is genuine, you were screwed for $5200.00 that you shouldn't have paid... All unnecessary items and all very high profit extras. Go buy your new car somewhere else...
sa0la0n0i (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 07:42 PM
sa0la0n0i
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks everyone i will go and cancel everything tomorrow since I have 30 days to cancel!
Old 01-23-19, 11:58 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

The extended warranty for $2,000 for a car as reliable as a Lexus probably isn't necessary but from what I've heard extended warranties are usually pretty flexible in cost. When my ES gets delivered (March or April) I'll offer them a really low amount....maybe $1,000. If they don't take it that's fine.

For the prepaid maintenance that might not be that bad. When I buy a car I always do the manufacturer recommend maintenance.

With my current 2011 Camry the maintenance cost for the first 50,000 miles was like $1,200 and that's for a Toyota. I expect Lexus maintenance is a little higher. I'd have to look at what is actually covered by that prepaid maintenance plan but it MIGHT not be a terrible deal.

I definitely wouldn't do the wheel and tire protection.
Old 01-24-19, 05:26 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
With my current 2011 Camry the maintenance cost for the first 50,000 miles was like $1,200 and that's for a Toyota. I expect Lexus maintenance is a little higher. I'd have to look at what is actually covered by that prepaid maintenance plan but it MIGHT not be a terrible deal.
We had our 2010 CR-V for over 8 years and almost 70k miles, before we just traded it in. If I followed the maintenance plan that the dealer kept suggesting, I would probably be out a couple grand. All we did was change air filters every couple years and have the oil changed when the MM got to 15%. All together, it probably cost us $500 to maintain.
Old 01-24-19, 05:58 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jimv1983
The extended warranty for $2,000 for a car as reliable as a Lexus probably isn't necessary but from what I've heard extended warranties are usually pretty flexible in cost. When my ES gets delivered (March or April) I'll offer them a really low amount....maybe $1,000. If they don't take it that's fine.

For the prepaid maintenance that might not be that bad. When I buy a car I always do the manufacturer recommend maintenance.

I definitely wouldn't do the wheel and tire protection.
First 50K miles, you're looking at 5 - 8 oil changes, a few filters changes you can do yourself, some tire rotations if you believe in those and that's about it. Nowhere near $1,700. Oh yeah - key fob battery change or two - another do it yourself that takes 2 minutes at a cost of less than $3.
Old 01-25-19, 07:30 AM
ES63
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

As a former service manager for many dealerships, this is my advice. As others have mentioned, maint package , not worth giving them your money up front , pay for the maint as you need and use.
As far as extended wty. if you plan owning car either for longer than factory wty time wise OR if you put a lot of miles on Vehicle yearly where mileage limits would run out before time limits do ( my situation). My recc. is to get it.
I do. With todays technology (look at the infotainment system and display ) and the way many of the systems are integrated into one another both mechanicaly and multiplexed. a module , an evap core etc could cost you way more in the long run , plus the additional things like rental care coverage, accom reimb etc ( both during factory and after factory wty). I have seen it many times. Yes Lexus are great reliable vehicles, but every manufacturer can have parts fail.part of life...
But I will add that i will only buy MFG's extended wty, not aftermarket.
Old 01-25-19, 08:22 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by ES63
As a former service manager for many dealerships, this is my advice. As others have mentioned, maint package , not worth giving them your money up front , pay for the maint as you need and use.
As far as extended wty. if you plan owning car either for longer than factory wty time wise OR if you put a lot of miles on Vehicle yearly where mileage limits would run out before time limits do ( my situation). My recc. is to get it.
I do. With todays technology (look at the infotainment system and display ) and the way many of the systems are integrated into one another both mechanicaly and multiplexed. a module , an evap core etc could cost you way more in the long run , plus the additional things like rental care coverage, accom reimb etc ( both during factory and after factory wty). I have seen it many times. Yes Lexus are great reliable vehicles, but every manufacturer can have parts fail.part of life...
But I will add that i will only buy MFG's extended wty, not aftermarket.
The answer to that is to set aside a few dollars each payday into an account set aside just for car maintenance. Earn interest on the money and use it if something goes wrong with the car. Before long you'll have a bundle of money in the account ready for any catastrophe. Pass on any extended warranty - especially third party companies... Horror stories abound about trying to get paid from these third party insurance companies...
Old 01-25-19, 11:36 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
The answer to that is to set aside a few dollars each payday into an account set aside just for car maintenance. Earn interest on the money and use it if something goes wrong with the car. Before long you'll have a bundle of money in the account ready for any catastrophe. Pass on any extended warranty - especially third party companies... Horror stories abound about trying to get paid from these third party insurance companies...
I foolishly purchased an extended warranty only once many years ago - GM product - and the moment I had a claim, it was denied - "Oh your warranty EXCLUDES any repairs that occur after sunset" Sorry. Lesson learned. I'll take my chances - I know repairs can be costly these days but at the end of the day, I don't want to contribute to the 95% profit margin plans.

Quick Reply: 2019 es sports packages? worth it?