ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Good review on the 2019 Es 300H in the Wall Street Journal

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 02:12 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Out of curiosity I looked at the dealer's Spec Sheet and the window sticker for our 19 ES300h Luxury, and there is no mention of any acoustic glass or any other acoustic dampening features. We do have the alleged Noise Reduction Wheels!
Old 12-21-23, 03:24 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
Out of curiosity I looked at the dealer's Spec Sheet and the window sticker for our 19 ES300h Luxury, and there is no mention of any acoustic glass or any other acoustic dampening features. We do have the alleged Noise Reduction Wheels!
Scan down to near the bottom of the page:
https://www.edmunds.com/lexus/es-300h/2019/review/
Old 12-22-23, 07:08 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Scan down to near the bottom of the page:
https://www.edmunds.com/lexus/es-300h/2019/review/
Not sure but this might be a typo as this feature is not included in the Luxury description of the section "Which ES300h does Edmunds Recommend."

I also think that if this is one of the features added by the Luxury trim level it would be in the Luxury Features section on the window sticker (copied from our sticker):
Luxury Features
* 14-Way Driver & 10-Way Front Passenger Power Seats (Including Driver 4-Way Lumbar & Seat Cushion Extender)
* Lexus Memory System For Driver's Seat, Outside Mirrors And Steering Wheel, Pwr Tilt &
Telescopic Steering Wheel, Rain Sensing Wipers, Heated And Ventilated Seats, Wood Trim &
Ambient Lighting, and Perforated Leather Trimmed Interior

I also found a sales brochure which mentions: "Lexus-first Hybrid-Acoustics™ offer unprecedented sound-dampening measures such as high-precision noise-canceling technology to ensure the quietest drive possible." But no details.
Also found: "Active Noise Control--Active Noise Control uses engine rpm and a dedicated microphone to identify and reduce muffled engine sound by producing an opposite- phase sound from the speakers to cancel it out, significantly enhancing quietness in the cabin."

I was interested in this as my 2020 GLS450 has the MB Acoustic Comfort Package which includes an "acoustic and heat absorbing membrane" on the windshield and side windows.
Old 12-22-23, 07:18 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Consensus on this board seems to be that Lexus's implementation of Active Noise Control is very unambitious and no great shakes.
Old 12-22-23, 11:29 AM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
I was interested in this as my 2020 GLS450 has the MB Acoustic Comfort Package which includes an "acoustic and heat absorbing membrane" on the windshield and side windows.
Is there anything on the window/windshield "bug" markings to show the GLS450 glass is truly a more acoustically attenuating laminated acoustic automotive safety glass and not just "plain jane" less acoustically attenuating laminated automotive safety glass?

Laminated acoustic automotive safety glass can usually have some distinguishing identification in the window "bug"; sometimes a brand name like "SoundGuard" or a stylized ear with wavy lines icon (indicating a specialty glass with extra acoustic attenuation properties).

This ES generation Luxury and Ultra Luxury model types' window bugs for the windshield and front side windows have the manufacturer and brand name of AGC Automotive's Lamisafe in the window bugs. Lamisafe is AGC Automotive's brand name for "plain jane" laminated automotive safety glass. While that type of window glass has more acoustic attenuation properties than single pane tempered automotive glass, it still doesn't have as much acoustic attenuation properties as a specialty laminated acoustic window glass has. (Pure speculation on my part but this may be a reason official Lexus communications (e.g., marketing) uses terms like "sound dampening" rather than "acoustic" in describing the laminated glass used so that they avoid any false advertising claims or defective manufacturing using inferior parts claims.)