ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Wireless Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 05:40 AM
Mecrens
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wireless Apple CarPlay

Anyone been able to get Apple CarPlay to work wireless? I according to the salesperson who check with the tech the answer was yes. I have not been able to figure out how and think he might have thought I was referring to streaming via the car's wifi hotspot. I am actually looking for this functionality.
"CarPlay requires both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi technology. Once your vehicle has been switched on, the vehicle’s Bluetooth connects to your iPhone and makes a digital ‘handshake’ with it to automatically connect to your iPhone over Wi-Fi, for a more stable connection in the vehicle."

The following users liked this post:
bbctooman (02-06-21)
Old 01-29-19, 09:05 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

No way only by usb at this time
alpine makes a aftermarket head unit that is wireless
I think it sucks cant be but so hard to implement it
Old 01-30-19, 05:38 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Unfortunately Lexus does not offer wireless Apple CarPlay. Just be happy Lexus finally offered Apple CarPlay.

Very few cars on the market have wireless Apple CarPlay...most BMW, few new Audi, and few new Mercedes.
Old 01-30-19, 06:45 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Wireless Apple Carplay drains the phone battery really fast, because its the phone that does all the processing. This is one of the reason its not widely implemented.
Old 01-31-19, 08:44 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by john341
Wireless Apple Carplay drains the phone battery really fast, because its the phone that does all the processing. This is one of the reason its not widely implemented.
But a lot of cars with wireless Apple CarPlay have a wireless charger...easier to place a phone on the charger than plug it in and have an ugly cord running down the interior.
Old 02-01-19, 04:41 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
But a lot of cars with wireless Apple CarPlay have a wireless charger...easier to place a phone on the charger than plug it in and have an ugly cord running down the interior.
Very true, Forgot about wireless charging. Although, its only recently that Apple has started supporting wireless charging. I will say next gen multimedia systems should have it.

Old 12-11-19, 11:24 AM
datasound
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to mention that just because Wireless CARPLAY might drain your battery faster doesn't mean you couldn't still plug in the cable for charging. In my case I do 5 or 6 short run (under 5 mile) trips a day and it would not drain the battery so much for that it would be an issue. But plugging in that cable 5-10 times a day would be a pain plus the wear-and-tear on that connector on the iPhone would be probably make it have a flaky connection within 3 months. I have learned that lesson on many iPhones plugging in/out the wired earbuds. ... just my 2 cents.
Old 12-11-19, 11:38 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by datasound
Just want to mention that just because Wireless CARPLAY might drain your battery faster doesn't mean you couldn't still plug in the cable for charging. In my case I do 5 or 6 short run (under 5 mile) trips a day and it would not drain the battery so much for that it would be an issue. But plugging in that cable 5-10 times a day would be a pain plus the wear-and-tear on that connector on the iPhone would be probably make it have a flaky connection within 3 months. I have learned that lesson on many iPhones plugging in/out the wired earbuds. ... just my 2 cents.
From my experience with over 10 years of owning iPhones that's not the case. There is wear and tear on the cables itself, not on the iPhone connector, at least not to the point that it won't function. Like others on this board, I now have a dedicated iPhone that remains plugged in at all times to be able to listen to music from Amazon music HD.