ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Lexus Enform App

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-21, 03:47 PM
chschapira
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Honda/Acura have an over the air update that has to be complete prior to their 3G network being shutdown that allows the software to support the transition from 3G to VoLTE. Why cannot Toyota/Lexus figure this out?
Old 12-27-21, 04:26 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

if the problem is hardware related it can't be fixed with software update. Many of Acura models are on CDMA (3G) cellular network and they require ripping out the old hardware and replace it with a new one to make the transition.
The following users liked this post:
ATL350 (10-20-22)
Old 12-27-21, 08:04 PM
Dallas250
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes as stated the transmitter and receiver in the car itself has to be a lot operate on the frequencies of the new 4G or 5G networks. They also have to operate on the same Technology and it was not mini at all they could do both 3G and 4G and certainly not 5G.
Old 01-26-22, 08:56 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It still seems to me that Lexus could take a thinking-outside-the-box approach to providing a solution. I wonder if they could partner with a company that makes a 3G to 4G converter to enable the modem-dependent functions to work after the 3G sunset, without needing to replace any hardware? Please see the description and video for a product called "Cellbounce" and let's discuss if it could potentially be leveraged by Lexus to extend the life of the safety and convenience features we currently receive via 3G. Here's a link to their web site: https://www.cellbounce.com
Old 01-27-22, 06:48 AM
Dallas250
Intermediate

I’m an RF engineer for one of the big three cellular companies in the United States. Unfortunately there’s no way around needing to swap out the module that contains the transmitter and receiver. 3G uses much smaller spectrum channels and the equipment will need to be upgraded to use the 4G technology and larger channels.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (02-02-22)
Old 01-27-22, 01:56 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Thanks for your quick reply, Dallas250. I understand that the hardware would need to be swapped out to receive a 4G signal, but wonder about products like Cellbounce that claim to be able to receive a 4G signal from the tower and then convert it to a 3G signal locally that works with legacy 3G equipment. With your cellular expertise, I'd really appreciate your take on their web site and video https://www.cellbounce.com)
Thanks!
Old 01-27-22, 02:21 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishJoe
It still seems to me that Lexus could take a thinking-outside-the-box approach to providing a solution. I wonder if they could partner with a company that makes a 3G to 4G converter to enable the modem-dependent functions to work after the 3G sunset, without needing to replace any hardware? Please see the description and video for a product called "Cellbounce" and let's discuss if it could potentially be leveraged by Lexus to extend the life of the safety and convenience features we currently receive via 3G. Here's a link to their web site: https://www.cellbounce.com

The only way to fix this problem is to replace the DCM which is 3G with a 4G DCM. Will they do it? I don't think so.

What they can do is they can update the software so it will use the DATA from the phone when it's connected to Apple Carplay.
Old 01-27-22, 05:12 PM
ionian
Instructor

Originally Posted by IrishJoe
It isn't about thinking out the box as much as which will be more profitable. Lexus has bigger fish to fry. Assuming this is possible the only hope is for an entrepreneur to license Cellbounce tech and wrap it into turn-key solution so owners of older Lexus vehicles can just buy the plug and play solution. Sounds like an opportunity to pitch it to the Shark Tank.

Last edited by ionian; 01-27-22 at 05:19 PM. Reason: ...
Old 01-28-22, 11:28 AM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Well, I got an answer from Cellbounce today and it isn't good. It appears that their technology would have worked but they are blocked from using it on mobile devices in the U.S. Here's the response that I got from Jim Neff of Cellbounce:

Hi Joe,
In the US we are limited by the FCC and cell providers and therefore cannot be used for mobile applications.

Sorry about that. (I have a 2014 Lexus myself)
Jim

Old 01-28-22, 12:50 PM
ionian
Instructor

Interesting. Is there any connected services you're subscribing to now on your Lexus? The newer vehicles are much more connected now than past generation. I recalled years ago Sirius radio came equipped in new vehicles I purchased and yet I had never subscribed once the trial period is over. Now on my Lexus I have the following active subscriptions:

1) Siriusxm radio
2) remote services
3) safety connect (SOS)
4) Dynamic Navigation

There is also Enform wi-fi but it is not active. #3 and #4 are still on trials. However once they are expired I won't be renewing them.
Old 01-30-22, 08:09 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Ionian, I have the first three services that you listed but Dynamic Navigation wasn't available for my 2017 RX 450h.
Old 02-01-22, 07:44 PM
CruiseGuy
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Android Enform App?

Originally Posted by Steve300h
I like the "Remote start" feature but is PIN anyone PIN else PIN a bit PIN annoyed PIN by how PIN often you have PIN to enter PIN your PIN?
Has anyone installled the Android version of Enform?
Have you had any issues with its functionality?
Old 10-20-22, 01:21 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

I have a 2016 RX and added a third party remote start by Compustar. It has a separate fob so am I good past October when the 3G disappears or is my compustar hooked up to the outdated 3G and it too will be useless? I suppose on Nov.1st I’ll find out for sure.
Old 10-20-22, 06:24 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 347 Likes on 212 Posts

I get the frustration but I don't see that Lexus gains much by spending money to update the system in older cars. They are not alone. Mercedes has done little to nothing to help its customers either.
Old 10-20-22, 07:14 AM
ionian
Instructor

built in obsolescence is real