ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Trunk Hook and Rear Door Applique

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-19 | 07:09 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Default Trunk Hook and Rear Door Applique

The cargo net hook is removable. Is there any larger hook that could take its place in order to hold shopping bags etc? My last car had big honkin' hooks on both sides of the trunk.

Also, what is the purpose of this clear applique at the lower edge of the rear door?

Thanks,
Old 03-01-19 | 07:28 AM
User 41924
Instructor

I'll leave the question regarding the hooks to others. The applique at the bottom of the door is to protect it from chips. That's a pretty common area for them, as rocks, sand, and gravel are often kicked up by the tires. It's a much bigger issue if you live where it snows and they "sand" the roads. Be aware that "sand" isn't what you would see at the beach! It's far more course, and can really damage paint. Not that you would see that in Florida!

Last edited by User 41924; 03-01-19 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-01-19 | 07:36 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I'll leave the question regarding the hooks to others. The applique at the bottom of the door is to protect it from chips. That's a pretty common area for them, as rocks, sand, and gravel are often kicked up by the tires. It's a much bigger issue if you live where it snows and they "sand" the roads. Be aware that "sand" isn't what you would see at the beach! It's far more course, and car really damage paint. Not that you would see that in Florida!
Yes, that is an area that is particularly vulnerable to paint damage from rocks and other debris that are kicked up by the tires.

I know that there are some here on CL who have removed those pieces of protective film, but I've noticed that, after washing the car, the first areas of the car that get new streaks of mud and dirt are the spots where that film is. If mud and dirt are kicked up by the tires into those spots, stones and other objects that can potentially damage the paint will be thrown up into those spots, too. That tells me that the protective film there is well-placed and offers meaningful protection of the paint there.
Old 03-01-19 | 07:44 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

I would like to hijack this thread for the similar topic. How do you clean the "dirt" stuck on the edge of the door applique and the paint. Mine has a "dirt line" right on the edge and I had hard time to clean it off.
Old 03-01-19 | 08:06 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by net4n6
I would like to hijack this thread for the similar topic. How do you clean the "dirt" stuck on the edge of the door applique and the paint. Mine has a "dirt line" right on the edge and I had hard time to clean it off.
QTIPS? Apply some wax around the edges to minimize it.
Old 03-01-19 | 08:07 AM
User 41924
Instructor

I've used wood toothpicks before. It helps, but you have to be VERY careful no to get under the film, and obviously not to be too aggressive on the paint. Plastic toothpicks might work, too. Never thought about it until just now. My advise would be to get the worst of it off as mentioned, then wear it down with patience, soap, and water. My guess is that it will likely never be 100% dirt free.
Old 03-01-19 | 08:36 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

I've found that there are a variety of tools like these that work well for cleaning spots like these. Here is a whole set of them on Amazon.
Amazon Amazon

I've got a detailing tool that I bought years ago at one of the auto parts stores. It is similar to the brushes in the set that I linked to, but it has a brush on one end and a somewhat hard rubber tip on the other end. The combination of both ends is quite effective at cleaning along the edges of the film without damaging either the paint or the film.
The following users liked this post:
net4n6 (03-01-19)
Old 03-01-19 | 09:08 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

A quick "thanks" to you
Old 03-01-19 | 04:21 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

This is where old tooth brushes go to continue their useful lives after they no longer work well on teeth. Especially the "soft" ones which work really well for this type of cleaning.
Old 03-02-19 | 03:34 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

I am a firm believer in the protection film and have it on the front bumper, partial hood, mirrors and headlights. I took it off the two places mentioned. It was always getting dirty and was very visible. The main reason though if you look down the side of the ES that portion sticks out so little the chance of a rock hitting that spot is almost zero. Removed them from my 2013 and 2017 and with a combined 150,000 mile have zero marks.
Old 03-02-19 | 08:51 AM
wasjr
Instructor

With my wife's Satin Cashmere 300h I've never really noticed buildup around the film, but I keep old heads of my electric toothbrush for just such situations. Just pop an old one on with some dish soap should do the trick.
Old 03-03-19 | 01:18 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Re. the original question - I believe the shopping bag holder(s) from a 2018 Camry fit a 2018 ES but the 2019 appears to have a different hook so you would have to remove it to find out for sure.

Dave Mac
Old 03-06-19 | 07:29 AM
Gr8Car4Me
Rookie

I had PPF applied to the front half of my car. I asked the installer what the appliqué near the rear wheel wells were for. He agreed they were not for stone or dirt protection. *The installer had seen this on other cars and was told the purpose of the appliqué*was to protect the car’s finish during the manufacturing process. *I wish I knew the true purpose. *Despite the 7 year warranty they say PPF has to come off in about 5 years.*The adhesive eventually*oxidizes and*removal will damage the paint if left on too long. I***** the same for these factory applied appliqués? *

Last edited by Gr8Car4Me; 03-06-19 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Remove asterisks
Old 03-06-19 | 10:18 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gr8Car4Me
I had PPF applied to the front half of my car. I asked the installer what the appliqué near the rear wheel wells were for. He agreed they were not for stone or dirt protection. *The installer had seen this on other cars and was told the purpose of the appliqué*was to protect the car’s finish during the manufacturing process. *I wish I knew the true purpose. *Despite the 7 year warranty they say PPF has to come off in about 5 years.*The adhesive eventually*oxidizes and*removal will damage the paint if left on too long. I***** the same for these factory applied appliqués? *
I'm afraid that I don't buy what you (or your installer) are saying.

For several reasons, I don't believe that the film in front of the rear wheels is there "to protect the car's finish during the manufacturing process".* First, if it was there to protect the finish during the manufacturing process, after the car was built, it would be removed either at the factory or by the dealer as a part of the dealer prep process.* Also, if it was there to protect the finish during the manufacturing process, it would not be held on with the strong adhesive that is used to affix that film.* Further, those pieces of film are Lexus parts with a price of around $15 each.* When a body shop has to do repair work in that area, they will order those pieces of film and put them back on the car.* That would not be the case if the film was only needed to protect the finish during the manufacturing process.* Finally, as I said in an earlier post, the area protected by the film is, in fact, an area that is vulnerable to damage from stones and other debris thrown back by the front wheels.* If you don't believe that, wash your car.* Then, drive through a few puddles.* You will see that the area protected by the film is the first spot that will collect mud thrown back by the front wheels.* If the front wheels are throwing mud in those spots, they will also be throwing stones and other debris there.

I'm also not buying what you said about paint protection film needing to be removed and replaced every 5 years.* When paint protection film was just starting to be used, there were various issues with the adhesives, with fading, etc.* Over the last 15 years, manufacturers, including 3M and Expel have come a long way with regard to improving their products and with eliminating issues that were problems with the earlier versions of their products.* I've seen cars that have had paint protection film on them for well over 5 years, and I have not seen any issues with regard to paint damage on those cars.* That may have been an issue 15 years, but I don't believe it is an issue now.*

(I have no idea why the asterisks appear in your post or in my reply, but I can't seem to get rid of them.)
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (03-06-19)
Old 03-06-19 | 12:00 PM
Gr8Car4Me
Rookie

Lesz,
What you say makes sense. I’ll take a close look to see the path of dirt from the front wheel. I’ll also pass on the mud bath test😀. That Lexus does not remove the appliqué after manufacturing is strong proof that it is an intentional paint protection piece.

I want to believe that I can get a full 7 years out of the film, but 7 years is a long time. Thinking about it more 7 or even 4 years is a long time away. Too far in the future to worry about it now. For now I think I’ll enjoy my protected ride.