ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

***What did you do to your ES today?***

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-22, 08:56 AM
HanzlaKhan
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusJoey
I've been on both sides of this. I used to do mods to my car when I was young. My "elders" told me it was stupid. Looking back some I do say "what was I thinking?" and some I still think it's cool today. However when I was a teen, it was all awesome. Personally, not sure if I like green (maybe if I see it in person), but in the past I did do all red, so you do what you do and enjoy it.

Only HanzlaKhan will know that if green everything was stupid or not later in life. However, I certainly am hoping that he does not rice out the car and become some poser. Coffee can exhaust, camber wheels, fake stick on air vents, countless amounts of air diffusers, racing stripes, gaudy racing wing, etc.
Haha don't worry, while I do plan on modifying this car quite a bit, I certainly don't plan on ricing it out. I've seen other 7th gens with muffler deletes and while that may bring joy to the owners, it's not my cup of tea, this car was meant to be quiet, so why go against the intended purpose of the car? Overall, I just plan on loading it with carbon fiber, lowering it, and getting it some new shoes.
Old 04-07-22, 11:24 PM
HanzlaKhan
Rookie

Installed some carbon fiber trim on the steering wheel to go with the rest of the carbon in the interior. More to come soon !!

Old 04-08-22, 06:49 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 520 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by HanzlaKhan
Installed some carbon fiber trim on the steering wheel to go with the rest of the carbon in the interior. More to come soon !!
You’d better pray that airbag never goes off. Wow I can’t believe someone would put plastic projectiles on their airbag cover 🤦‍♂️
The following 4 users liked this post by LS500Fan:
ATL350 (04-08-22), DavidZ (04-09-22), E46CT (04-08-22), FreddyG (01-30-23)
Old 04-08-22, 08:25 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Less is more, man. Less is more....................................

And he's right. Those shards of plastic I can promise you weren't included in Lexus's detailed computer analysis and simulation as to what happens when the airbag goes off. You definitely don't want those shards being firmly planted into your brain stem after an airbag event. Not to mention it just isn't a good look. you have way way way too many things going on there. is that a steering wheel cover?
Old 04-08-22, 09:02 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

OK let's give the poor uneducated guy a visual... when your airbag deploys it's explosive. Look what it did to this guy, and he didn't have cheesy sharp projectiles stuck on his airbag...

If *you're* lucky the small sharp pieces you have won't go directly into your eyes and face, but that's unlikely considering where they are mounted.

The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (04-09-22)
Old 04-08-22, 09:38 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I mean airbag explosions are extremely violent. the only way you'll find out for sure is to test it out. lol. i'd say the best way to mitigate that is to just not put any objects on your steering wheel. whatever is on there is being sent into your person very very very fast.
Old 04-08-22, 10:08 AM
PrznPrince
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT

And he's right. Those shards of plastic I can promise you weren't included in Lexus's detailed computer analysis and simulation as to what happens when the airbag goes off. You definitely don't want those shards being firmly planted into your brain stem after an airbag event. Not to mention it just isn't a good look. you have way way way too many things going on there. is that a steering wheel cover?
Thank you for pointing this out, I was considering a similar part but will refrain. How about the part right under it? (the dark grey bottom trim) Guessing thats probably not safe as well?
Old 04-08-22, 10:40 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

That one is stationary so I don't think there'd be a high chance of it shooting out at you but I don't know that for sure
Old 04-08-22, 11:08 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Originally Posted by PrznPrince
Thank you for pointing this out, I was considering a similar part but will refrain. How about the part right under it? (the dark grey bottom trim) Guessing thats probably not safe as well?
The parts that are an absolute danger are the pieces inside the L logo and the pieces on the left/right side of the airbag cover beside the buttons). Anything outside of that black airbag cover is fine.

Edit: here's a pic. Don't put anything on top of the danger zone unless you have disabled your airbag LOL. And never disable your airbag.

Last edited by LS500Fan; 04-08-22 at 11:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LS500Fan:
doncmleon (04-10-22), FreddyG (02-01-23)
Old 04-08-22, 12:09 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i wouldn't go as far as declaring what's fone as not fine. airbags are violent and anything around them is fair game so proper design and analysis would be required. without access to high secretive proprietary internal inside data from Toyota's supercomputer simulations, you wouldn't be able to definitively declare what areas are fine. You can make some reasonable guesses but to stay on the safe side i'd just not install anything on the steering wheel if safety is at all a concern. consider it all a no-go, for safety's sake.
FreddyG (02-01-23)
Old 04-08-22, 07:44 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

as others have said you’re interfering with the airbag operation both to you and the system. I really don’t get it.
Old 04-08-22, 10:46 PM
HanzlaKhan
Rookie

Originally Posted by E46CT

Thank you everyone for the concern, seems like I didn't think this one through before purchasing it. In terms of looks, I like it, but who cares about looks when it impacts functionality. Also, that is indeed a steering wheel cover. Personally, I couldn't bear all that espresso wood trim on the steering wheel, so I wanted to get something that would cover it up.
LexFinally (04-09-22)
Old 04-08-22, 10:47 PM
HanzlaKhan
Rookie

Originally Posted by LS500Fan
The parts that are an absolute danger are the pieces inside the L logo and the pieces on the left/right side of the airbag cover beside the buttons). Anything outside of that black airbag cover is fine.

Edit: here's a pic. Don't put anything on top of the danger zone unless you have disabled your airbag LOL. And never disable your airbag.

Thank you for the insightful response...
Old 04-09-22, 05:34 AM
jfz219
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Since this topic has switched to steering wheel airbags, let me present another safety recommendation. The commended placement of the hands on the steering wheel are at the 9 and 3 o’clock positions. The thumbs should rest on the rim, and not inside the rim of the wheel.

My longtime habit of 10 and 2 with the thumbs inside the rim can lead to multiple injuries. The force of the airbag dislocates the thumbs and throws the arms up to the roof with resulting fractures. In the event that the sunroof is open, the forearms and hands may be outside of the vehicle during the crash sequence.
FreddyG (02-01-23)
Old 04-12-22, 07:41 AM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Personally, I couldn't bear all that espresso wood trim on the steering wheel, so I wanted to get something that would cover it up.
You can always hunt for the oem F-Sport steering wheel or 3rd party.

Quick Reply: ***What did you do to your ES today?***