ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

***What did you do to your ES today?***

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-22 | 02:53 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Would dynamat work? It does a Great job for car stereo installs, so I figure that it would deaden sound and make it sound more solid than the tinny, flimsy sounding doors that we have now.
Old 11-27-22 | 01:37 AM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FreddyG
Would dynamat work? It does a Great job for car stereo installs, so I figure that it would deaden sound and make it sound more solid than the tinny, flimsy sounding doors that we have now.
Resonix apparently is the best dampening material. It was designed by a guy who owns a stereo shop and has years of experience and very extensive knowledge. Now, what does that really mean? Honestly, not much unless you're a weirdo like me who wants the best of the best. Dynamat, Resonix, or Amazon Basic will all remove the tinny flimsy sound from the doors though.
Old 11-28-22 | 12:13 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JamesAZ
So I went through and redid the fiber mat in my 2 front doors. Instead of stuffing the door panel, tried placing it on the outer door skin which not only allowed my door panel to sit perfectly flush, but I was able to install more fiber inside the door itself, around 98% coverage. So hopefully it's pros all around. The only issue I could come up with is the window, but it opens and closes without any issues at all:

https://i.imgur.com/HGp7YqD.mp4

Maybe in the future, the adhesive will come off and cause issues, but the adhesive seems very strong since it's honestly a pain in the *** to install since it likes to stick to itself and it's nearly impossible to undo without ruining it.
wait a couple weeks after the rain or car wash and you're going to be driving a MoldsMobile.

Manufacturers put that stuff on the inner door panel (calculated and done precisely) since the vapor barrier would protect water contact.
Old 11-28-22 | 12:18 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Also if any part of that material gets dislodged and stuck in the teeth/arm of the window regulators after heat and water undoes the adhesive, that could result in a stuck window. (aside from any mold/mildew smell problems)
also if any of the furry stuff gets dislodged and blocks the door drains, you're looking at an early rust problem. i can just see so many cons with that setup.

what's the cure time for that glue?
Old 11-28-22 | 12:25 PM
JamesAZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E46CT
wait a couple weeks after the rain or car wash and you're going to be driving a MoldsMobile.

Manufacturers put that stuff on the inner door panel (calculated and done precisely) since the vapor barrier would protect water contact.
So I didn't consider water seeping through the seals, but according to the product page located here:

https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/product/fiber-mat-25/

***What did you do to your ES today?***-2vmw1ta.png

But I'll check back on it in a few months just in case.

Also if any part of that material gets dislodged and stuck in the teeth/arm of the window regulators after heat and water undoes the adhesive, that could result in a stuck window. (aside from any mold/mildew smell problems)
also if any of the furry stuff gets dislodged and blocks the door drains, you're looking at an early rust problem. i can just see so many cons with that setup.

what's the cure time for that glue?
And the adhesive is ridiculously strong. Even carefully trying to pry it apart after it got stuck together it rips the entire mat apart. You're better off just cutting it up and throwing it out. But I imagine it'll be pretty obvious once it starts to cause issues with the window, so for now, I'll just monitor it every 6 months or so and if it ever seems to be causing issues, redo it. But it hardly sees rain as I live in Phoenix and its garage parked and is hand washed once a month. So I'm not gonna be overly concerned about it, but definitely cautious.
Old 11-28-22 | 12:45 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I think resistant is key word. Essentially if it's not for outdoor applications, it probably won't resist much. Your application there is essentially outdoor. Water is designed to pour into the doors and out of the drains at the bottom. The seal is not water tight.

if you start smelling stuff, you'll know what it is!
Old 12-27-22 | 08:58 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

since it is going to rain this week in socal, i cleaned the windshield and did a turtle wax cheapie ceramic spray treatment. the windshield feels so slick. i tend to do the windshield more often than the paint since the windshield wipers very likely rub the coating off after a couple months.
The following users liked this post:
FreddyG (12-29-22)
Old 12-28-22 | 08:33 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

since it is going to rain this week in socal, i cleaned the windshield and did a turtle wax cheapie ceramic spray treatment. the windshield feels so slick. i tend to do the windshield more often than the paint since the windshield wipers very likely rub the coating off after a couple months.
Funny, I just posted about having a windshield replaced. I'll try this ceramic spray with it, thanks
Old 12-28-22 | 08:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

i haven't tried the rainX thing yet people swear by. i figure if it's just a coating like anything else, it'll get rubbed off. so why not use stuff i already have... i'm open to trying it one day though..
Old 12-28-22 | 09:26 AM
r1supersta
Pit Crew

i haven't tried the rainX thing yet people swear by. i figure if it's just a coating like anything else, it'll get rubbed off. so why not use stuff i already have... i'm open to trying it one day though..
I have been using Rain-X for years. Bird poop will slide off the windshield after applications. haha
The following 2 users liked this post by r1supersta:
F3Woody (12-30-22), FreddyG (12-29-22)
Old 12-28-22 | 10:53 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

i was thinking of doing a side by side half turtle wax, half turtle wax ceramic + rainX. see if there's any difference.
Old 12-28-22 | 01:09 PM
r1supersta
Pit Crew

Got the windows tinted and PPF applied on the whole front. Ceramic i3; 15% all around and 56% on the windshield.

Brianses7 (01-06-23)
Old 12-29-22 | 08:12 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Got PPF on front but don't post any pics of said front? =p

also before the tint dries, personally, i'd take a microfiber and my finger and run it around the dot matrix around the back quarter windows to press out the air outline
r1supersta (12-31-22)
Old 12-29-22 | 08:24 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

(Gently though, you run the risk of peeling the tint up)
r1supersta (12-31-22)
Old 12-29-22 | 03:40 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by r1supersta
I have been using Rain-X for years. Bird poop will slide off the windshield after applications. haha
That could also be from a bird with a high fiber diet!
r1supersta (12-31-22)

Quick Reply: ***What did you do to your ES today?***