ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What mileage are you getting on your ES 300H?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 05:55 PM
wmogolov
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What mileage are you getting on your ES 300H?

Today, I got 48.7 mpg on my 2019 ES 300H on a 12 mile trip. Would love to see a 50 plus when the weather gets warmer. Love this car! Just curious, what are the rest of you getting? What is the most you've gotten?

Last edited by wmogolov; 03-29-19 at 04:11 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 08:15 AM
EV02is
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How are you calculating the mpg? I have found my cars mpg estimator extremely inaccurate. My car estimates that I average 60 mpg, however when doing the math at the pump it calculates to 44 mpg.
Old 03-29-19, 08:21 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by wmogolov
Today, I got 48.7 mpg on my 2019 ES 300H on a 12 mile trip. Would love to see a 50 plus when the weather gets warmer. Love this car! Just curious, what are the rest of you getting? What is the most you've gotten?
Any results, whether from the car's computer or actually calculated, based on a 12 mile trip are likely to be quite inaccurate. Unless a fill-up requires a minimum of 5 or 6 gallons of gasoline, I would not be confident at all in the accuracy of the results. The most accurate results will be achieved when the fill-up is over half of the tank's capacity and when the mpg is manually calculated.
The following users liked this post:
Arabh (01-23-20)
Old 03-29-19, 01:40 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by EV02is
How are you calculating the mpg? I have found my cars mpg estimator extremely inaccurate. My car estimates that I average 60 mpg, however when doing the math at the pump it calculates to 44 mpg.
I haven't gotten my ES yet but I remember there being 2 estimates. One for the current trip and one for total since last reset. I've noticed on my Camry (a similar setup) that the estimate since last reset is usually within 2 miles of actual (which I always calculate when I fill up).
Old 03-29-19, 02:11 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I've had several new Lexus' over the past few years, and NONE of them were within 2 to 3 MPG in accuracy. Why do you suppose they don't do this correctly? They have to measure the actual fuel delivered through the fuel system (the MAF has to determine the fuel/air mixture with a high level of accuracy) itself so they can give us a semi accurate Miles to Empty, which seems relatively accurate when you consider the "reserve" they ignore when calculating it, so why can't they get the MPG closer? Maybe I don't know as much as I think, but this just seems odd
Old 03-29-19, 02:36 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I've had several new Lexus' over the past few years, and NONE of them were within 2 to 3 MPG in accuracy. Why do you suppose they don't do this correctly? They have to measure the actual fuel delivered through the fuel system (the MAF has to determine the fuel/air mixture with a high level of accuracy) itself so they can give us a semi accurate Miles to Empty, which seems relatively accurate when you consider the "reserve" they ignore when calculating it, so why can't they get the MPG closer? Maybe I don't know as much as I think, but this just seems odd
What surprises me the most is how inaccurate your estimate is. I don't have a Lexus (yet) but the technology should be very similar to Toyota cars and my 2011 Camry Hybrid is never off by more than 2 mpg.
Old 03-29-19, 04:47 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Originally Posted by jimv1983
What surprises me the most is how inaccurate your estimate is. I don't have a Lexus (yet) but the technology should be very similar to Toyota cars and my 2011 Camry Hybrid is never off by more than 2 mpg.
With the 4 Lexus vehicles that I've owned that provide information regarding mpg, I've found that how close the computer's estimates are compared to actual mpg can vary depending on my driving style. If I'm driving conservatively, the actual mpg will be higher than what the car's computer estimates. On the other hand, if I'm driving more aggressively, the actual mpg will be lower than what the car's computer estimates.
Old 03-29-19, 09:05 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
That kind of variation has never been my experience. The last three Lexus’ vehicles I have owned are typically showing dash mileage that is within two miles of the calculated mileage. There have also been rare times that it is nearly spot on. I would argue that the dash mileage averages about 1.8 MPG higher than actual. This is truly another one of those first world problems isn’t it?
Old 03-31-19, 07:59 AM
mickbrown
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

With 3591 miles on my 300h, I’m averaging 42.0 mpg (3591mi/85.5 gal), which ~ concurs with the gage info. Half of my mileage has been on two 800+ trips where we had very full loads with mostly interstate driving at 70+ mph speeds. On these two trips, the gage said 44.0 and 43.6.
Also, my average miles/tank is 513 miles, with an average fill up of 12.3 gallons.
Needless to say, I’m quite pleased!
Old 04-02-19, 11:20 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

5000 miles in and average just over 47mpg.

I do drive with a soft foot and turn off the A/C(no auto for me) when I dont need it.
Old 04-05-19, 07:32 PM
darrylcc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got a 60K 2013 300H

60K drives like a dream an has 2 more year of maintenance
Old 04-16-19, 10:36 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

My MPG doesn't seem to be as good as it should be. I'm currently on my second tank of gas so it might take some time to get a real idea but so far I'm a little underwhelmed.

For my first tank I got just over 37 but over the course of the first few days I spent several hours just sitting in the car with the car on so the car would occasionally turn on the gas engine which burn gas but didn't go anywhere so I expected somewhat lower mileage.

On my second tank so far I'm at 352 miles on the tank and an estimated 130 miles until empty (not counting the reserve). The estimated MPG calculated by the car is 40.8. Based on my experience with the accuracy of the estimate on my old 2011 Camry it's probably about 40 MPG. That's not as good as the 44 MPG that is stated and the even better MPG others seem to be getting. I haven't been heavy on the gas and I've been keeping it in the Eco drive mode with about 90% freeway driving.
Old 05-29-19, 06:39 PM
djm0226
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first tank was 586 miles and it took 12.4 gallons to fill back up, resulting in 47 mpg. The car displayed 45 mpg.

Half of those miles were in a one day highway trip. The rest were commuting for work (mostly highway). I typically leave it in eco mode on the highway and switch to normal mode in stop and go traffic or merging. I do tend to hypermile a little since I had a Honda Fit 10 years ago. Not too excessive with the hypermiling....really just trying to keep accelerating and deceleration as smooth as possible. I leave AC and cooled seats all on auto but use eco AC mode.

Last edited by djm0226; 05-29-19 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 07:25 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djm0226
My first tank was 586 miles and it took 12.4 gallons to fill back up, resulting in 47 mpg. The car displayed 45 mpg.

Half of those miles were in a one day highway trip. The rest were commuting for work (mostly highway). I typically leave it in eco mode on the highway and switch to normal mode in stop and go traffic or merging. I do tend to hypermile a little since I had a Honda Fit 10 years ago. Not too excessive with the hypermiling....really just trying to keep accelerating and deceleration as smooth as possible. I leave AC and cooled seats all on auto but use eco AC mode.
Damn! That makes me think something is wrong with my car. 90% of my driving is on the freeway during commute. I leave ECO mode on almost all the time. I only go to Normal or Sport modes sometimes to pass or getting on the freeway. I am very light on the accelerator and keep my speed to about 70mph 90% of the time. I also have ECO A/C mode on. I've filled up 5 times since I got the car. The best was just under 42 mpg. The average for all 5 fill ups has been just under 41. The car usually displays about 1mpg better than what I actually get. I've never had the actual be better than the cars estimate even on the 2011 Camry hybrid I had for almost 9 years.

The EPA estimate for freeway is 45 mpg. I know that's usually high compared to real world but I was at least hoping for a solid 43 mpg.

Mileage isn't bad but certainly not meeting even low expectations.
Old 05-30-19, 06:13 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

45 average
2019 ES300H

Quick Reply: What mileage are you getting on your ES 300H?